[merged] Cannavaro (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
15 million pounds for woodgate is real's alternative i read before...cannavaro would at least secure the defence for teh next two seasons. but even then, we still need more in defence. miguel and even a defender who is younger is needed after cannavaro.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1148334,00.html

SIR BOBBY REVEALS WOODY DEAL
Thursday 19th August 2004

Robson: Woodgate admission

More Newcastle United stories:
Robson plays down Dyer rift talkJoin The Sun Dream Team - Special offer
Sir Bobby Robson has confirmed to Sky Sports News that Newcastle have agreed a £15 million deal to sell Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid.

Robson insisted he did not want to sell the England international, but confirmed the defender would be travelling to Madrid for a medical.

The former England boss claimed Real's offer was too good for Newcastle to turn down - it represents a £6 million profit on a player they signed from Leeds in January 2003.

Woodgate's time on Tyneside has been plagued by injuries and Robson admitted there was still a chance the centre back could fail his medical in Spain.

"We are going to make a handsome profit on him, but we are not interested in the profit we are just interested in the player, but it's a huge offer and the club had to consider it," Robson told Sky Sports News. "I understand that but I don't want to lose Jonathan Woodgate.

"It's a huge sum of money, but it's a huge opportunity for him, do we deny him that opportunity? There is a moral issue here.

"He has a medical to pass, I think that is first and foremost.

"If he goes there isn't one person in this building from the chairman down to the youngest fan who won't be sorry to see him go.

"But he may not go. He may not want to. He may fail his medical, I don't know.

"Players do fail medicals, there isn't any reason why he should because the injury he sustained was almost four and a half months ago and he is almost through that, he's almost ready to play.

"That would be the only element that would affect his medical test because he has no other flaws in his make-up or character or body.

"So there's a good chance, more than a good chance he will pass his medical."

Sep 14, 2003
Sky Sports news (Uk) were talking to a Spanish journalist who said the reason they decided against signing Cannavaro was because he had a medical condition which prevents him from playing 3 games in a row, first I've heard of this.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
Sky Sports news (Uk) were talking to a Spanish journalist who said the reason they decided against signing Cannavaro was because he had a medical condition which prevents him from playing 3 games in a row, first I've heard of this.
It's called juventusitis. :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Woodgate for that much money isnt worth it IMO but we are talking about Real and one thing they do have a lot is that. Nonetheless, Woodgate is a type of player that will complement Samuel - One with pace and power given that Walter can be suspectible to fast players *cough* Heskey :eek: *cough*:D.
Anyway, this would obviously leave us with Cannavaro, and given the lack of alternatives I would grudgingly accept him, even if I doubt that he has more than two years left in him given his much reliance on phyical ability and instinct. Hopefully we can get Juve premium and reduce the wage of Canna because he certainly isnt worth 3m that he is getting. Maybe the lure of playing with his good friend with Ferrara and the most prestigious team Italia would tempt him to do that.:undecide:.
I reckon it will either be him or Bonera, depending on the cost. In the transfer campaign that saw Heinze (Played Wonderfully as CB in the Olympics and a real leader ), Burdisso (WC defender IMO), Rodriguez (Very talented player that also impressed me), Mexes, and Ferrari, it will be scant consolation IMO.
Tnx Mark for the info. No wonder a soft defender (??!!) like Bouma played as a CB during the Euro. Good luck on Hofland - I liked him as a defender, quick, pacey and good in the air.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Real snub Cannavaro
Thursday 19 August, 2004

Fabio Cannavaro’s move to Real Madrid is off as the Spaniards are close to signing Jonathan Woodgate.

The Inter defender has been strongly linked with Real this week but the proposed switch will now not occur.

Real have turned their attention to the Newcastle United stopper who is expected to complete a shock £15m move by the weekend.

Woodgate, an England international, was once associated with Juventus while he was still at Leeds United.

Cannavaro looks set to remain at the San Siro, even if Juve could make a late bid for the Italian international captain.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
Real snub Cannavaro
Thursday 19 August, 2004

Cannavaro looks set to remain at the San Siro, even if Juve could make a late bid for the Italian international captain.
Why is that?

Because Moggi has no money probably...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well at least Fabio isn't cup tied, so he could still be a target. It would be unthinkable to have Montero as a starting CB this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)