Maurizio Sarri (21 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The dramatic music is hilarious. The only clips that are worth anything are the times we can get the ball between the lines of their midfield and defence. Otherwise, they are quite happy to let us do a pointless dance outside of their compact shape.

It's not a giant triumph to make 5 meter passes outside their shape.

Having said that, I feel as if we did do a decent job at actually putting the ball in decent areas against them and if we can continue to do that without compromising our own defensive shape, that would be great.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
The dramatic music is hilarious. The only clips that are worth anything are the times we can get the ball between the lines of their midfield and defence. Otherwise, they are quite happy to let us do a pointless dance outside of their compact shape.

It's not a giant triumph to make 5 meter passes outside their shape.

Having said that, I feel as if we did do a decent job at actually putting the ball in decent areas against them and if we can continue to do that without compromising our own defensive shape, that would be great.
Then please explain to me what’s new here? Other than it’s a sure bet that our defense will be compromised.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
No. Not just last year. Both Allegri and Conte made the team look pretty good the way you just described, when they started.
I think Allegri moreso than Conte. Allegri with a more fluid attack in the early days. Conte would get the ball in dangerous areas only by using the same strict movements of 2 strikers over and over, in my opinion. This 2 striker system has basically followed him wherever he goes. However, last year was a big step back in my opinion. Rarely could we find opportunities to get the ball between the lines, in a central area.

Some of it was due to the players available, as Mandzukic doesn't really offer to the ball on the ground. And then Ronaldo plays wide and Allegri tried his best to use Dybala, but put him wide as well. Then you need Matuidi to compensate for Ronaldo, and that means you are sacrificing another central option as Matuidi never, ever was useful in between the lines. Then of course, there is no other B2B option to the right of Pjanic. That's why a lot of us wanted to see Berna as a CM, so he could pop up like Pogba used to.

So I felt most of our attack was just pure flank play. Very easy to defend. I think our peak attacking play with Allegri was when we had some great central players. Obviously Pogba, Vidal, Tevez.

So now Sarri has the fortune of coming into the team when we acquire players like Rabiot and Ramsey who can offer something in the centre. But overall, I feel his attacking philosophy greatly prefers to put the ball in these areas regardless of the players. As in preseason you might have seen all 3 attackers coming central to receive passes between the defence and midfield. Even in that short video, you see Costa receive a lot of passes in more central areas than he used to in the previous 2 seasons. The question for me is if he will sacrifice everything else to achieve this and if we will be worse in the aggregate.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
the biggest problem last year , at least for me was, that we had no strikers holding the position in the penalty area.
Ronaldo was on the flanks. Dybala was in midfield and Mandzukic wasn't that effective so most of the time the penalty area was devoid of juventus players.
Most of the times our most forward player was Matuidi.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I think Allegri moreso than Conte. Allegri with a more fluid attack in the early days. Conte would get the ball in dangerous areas only by using the same strict movements of 2 strikers over and over, in my opinion. This 2 striker system has basically followed him wherever he goes. However, last year was a big step back in my opinion. Rarely could we find opportunities to get the ball between the lines, in a central area.

Some of it was due to the players available, as Mandzukic doesn't really offer to the ball on the ground. And then Ronaldo plays wide and Allegri tried his best to use Dybala, but put him wide as well. Then you need Matuidi to compensate for Ronaldo, and that means you are sacrificing another central option as Matuidi never, ever was useful in between the lines. Then of course, there is no other B2B option to the right of Pjanic. That's why a lot of us wanted to see Berna as a CM, so he could pop up like Pogba used to.

So I felt most of our attack was just pure flank play. Very easy to defend. I think our peak attacking play with Allegri was when we had some great central players. Obviously Pogba, Vidal, Tevez.

So now Sarri has the fortune of coming into the team when we acquire players like Rabiot and Ramsey who can offer something in the centre. But overall, I feel his attacking philosophy greatly prefers to put the ball in these areas regardless of the players. As in preseason you might have seen all 3 attackers coming central to receive passes between the defence and midfield. Even in that short video, you see Costa receive a lot of passes in more central areas than he used to in the previous 2 seasons. The question for me is if he will sacrifice everything else to achieve this and if we will be worse in the aggregate.
I don’t know much about specificere plays. Here, you’re pretty clever.

Under Allegri it became much more fluid. The problem with the peak attack, you mentioned, is how not creative and how poor it was compared to other big teams. It was built on grinta, running and defense. That slowly changed, but since we don’t have the economy to buy class in all three lines, our central midfield was sacrified to build on attack.

If that was the right thing to do, I don’t know. But I do believe Allegri has tried to compensate to that change. And we have become one of the best teams in the world despite of the criticism concerning style.

My problem with Sarri is that I don’t think he’s clever enough adapt and compensate like Allegri was.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2010
On JUWORLD.NET there is a poll that asks what's the ideal attacking trident for Sarri. The choices are:

- CR7, Higuain, Dybala
- CR7, Dybala, Costa
- CR7, Dybala, Berna
- CR7, Higuain, Costa
- CR7, Higuain, Berna

What would you choose?
Cr7 berna Costa is my choice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)