Maurizio Sarri (205 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Find a way to give width to the team. Danilo is back now so consider Cuadrado back at RW until Costa returns. Or fullbacks higher and Khedira/Matuidi more defensive.

Rotate Demiral into the team. Current form of CBs = tired or shit or both.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
3 pts. :weee:

But, man did we look fucking bad in gaining them at home against a terrible Lokomotiv team.

All the same, on pace to top the group, so all's well that ends well.
He made a mistake with starting line up. We could have played 180 minutes with that selection and we still wouldnt have scored. Higuain for Khedira and then Rabiot for Matuidi made us look more dangerous around the box and we moved the ball faster in build up. Can he learn from this game? I certainly hope so because there is very little room for mistakes in CL and crashing out in group stage means sacking.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
was not impressed tonight. i thought we shouldve done a lot better but we looked clueless at how to break them down then the goal conceded was comical.

we won because dybala is a genius.

sarri is skating by so far with thess results but we will need to be a lot better against better sides

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Find a way to give width to the team. Danilo is back now so consider Cuadrado back at RW until Costa returns. Or fullbacks higher and Khedira/Matuidi more defensive.

Rotate Demiral into the team. Current form of CBs = tired or shit or both.
Bonucci for the better part of the season so far has been rock solid. But de Ligt has ran out of credit, Demiral and Rugani should get a chance more often

Width is only a big problem if we play buses like today, in more balanced encounters I've liked our direct approach

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
He had a more defensive approach in 1st half vs Leverkusen & inter too before attacking more in 2nd half. Nothing wrong with that approach esp when you have good subs.

The freak goal came out of nowhere & changed everything. But at the same time there were three individual errors in that goal, not just de Ligt this time.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
They say you cant teach and old dog new tricks... I hope this is not the case and Mr Sarri learn from his little failed experiment he tried tonight...

- - - Updated - - -

Sarri: “I don’t think we got the wrong approach at all...."

well... seems that I got my answer...

Last edited:

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Our worst performance since the Fiorentina game.

Got it all wrong in tactics and approach in the first half, playing Bentancur as trequartista was a poor decision and I don’t know why he ALWAYS has to start Matuidi and Khedira in CL games, both were passengers last night and you could see the difference when Rabiot and Bentancur moved into their positions.

He’s lucky Dybala bailed him out of this game as we were headed for a loss against a very poor team.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
3 pts. :weee:

But, man did we look fucking bad in gaining them at home against a terrible Lokomotiv team.

All the same, on pace to top the group, so all's well that ends well.
Indeed. 3 points is 3 points.

But I still maintain what I’ve always said. We hardly look any different than we did last season. Only the Inter game and the second half against Atletico stood out as games where we looked superior to our opponents and played the style he supposedly loves to play.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Indeed. 3 points is 3 points.

But I still maintain what I’ve always said. We hardly look any different than we did last season. Only the Inter game and the second half against Atletico stood out as games where we looked superior to our opponents and played the style he supposedly loves to play.
We also have scored 3 less goals in the same time period, while adding Higgy and Ramsey to the attack from last season.

Anyways, I actually like that he’s been pragmatic when necessary this year. It’s only funny when some try to suggest we’re playing some Uber different, gorgeous free attacking football lol

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
We also have scored 3 less goals in the same time period, while adding Higgy and Ramsey to the attack from last season.

Anyways, I actually like that he’s been pragmatic when necessary this year. It’s only funny when some try to suggest we’re playing some Uber different, gorgeous free attacking football lol
I will never fault a coach for adapting. I'll always take a coach who'll sell his 'philosophy' for winning. Like when sometime last season when Pep brought in a defender in the last 5-10 mins to protect a one goal lead.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I will never fault a coach for adapting. I'll always take a coach who'll sell his 'philosophy' for winning. Like when sometime last season when Pep brought in a defender in the last 5-10 mins to protect a one goal lead.
:agree:

Or Klopp having Pool play an Allegri style match against Spurs in the final last year to beat them.

Great coaches, even those who predominately try to impose a specific style on the majority of matches, know how to adapt when that style isn’t working.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

Or Klopp having Pool play an Allegri style match against Spurs in the final last year to beat them.

Great coaches, even those who predominately try to impose a specific style on the majority of matches, know how to adapt when that style isn’t working.
In the end, football is about winning, which is brilliantly exemplified by our club’s motto. A great coach is someone who will do whatever it takes to make his team win. Mourinho isn’t a trash manager nowadays because he plays defensive football, it’s because he doesn’t win anymore. Makes me angry to see these entitled United and Arsenal brats turn their noses up to Allegri because he is too boring for them.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018

I don't think klopp plays an allegri kind of game if pool doesn't score that early.
Also he probably remembered how he played an open game against Bayern in the last game and he didn't like the outcome.
Tactically he got that right. It would be pretty stupid to go gung ho on spurs after taking the lead when you got great players who could pounce on the counter. Spurs is also a great counter-attacking team. They beaten city and ajax this way.
Also playing an open game after that only benefits your opponent who has more chances to turn the game around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I don't think klopp plays an allegri kind of game if pool doesn't score that early.
Also he probably remembered how he played an open game against Bayern in the last game and he didn't like the outcome.
Tactically he got that right. It would be pretty stupid to go gung ho on spurs after taking the lead when you got great players who could pounce on the counter. Spurs is also a great counter-attacking team. They beaten city and ajax this way.
Also playing an open game after that only benefits your opponent who has more chances to turn the game around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
An Allegri style game against strong teams in CL: Press hard and score early, cede possession, soak up pressure, hit on the counter.

Exactly what Klopp did in the final, which is not at all the high pressure, fast attacking, not defending a lead football people here are always salivating over. He adapted. I’m actually praising him for it. Spurs had over 60% possession, more shots and chances, controlled the game through their midfield (only in the above sense obviously) the same way they did against us a year before in the knockouts but we had the better chances on the counter and won because of it, just like Pool did.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, back to our chainsmoking hobo... I’m happy to see him being pragmatic and adapting when needed. It’s a good sign. As is the rejuvenation of Pjanic, Dybala, Sandro, Bonucci thus far. Now to just get the GOAT firing on all cylinders in time for the knockouts and things could get exciting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 198)