Mauricio Isla (143 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I love this, how can you say that he's one of the best WB in the world when only there's a hadfull of teams in top leagues wich plays with a systems that uses WBs and the majority of them are in Serie A. OFC he'll be one of the best WBs in the worlds because there's only like 10.
As long as your are happy to consistently apply that logic.

I'd say Isla playing WB probably has more in common with teams who have attacking fullbacks in a back four than the roles Juve's CBs have in common with a team playing two CBs.

Are you going to say it would be unreasonable to say Chiellini and Barzagli are just about the CBs around because they can only be compared to other teams playing with a back three?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
As long as your are happy to consistently apply that logic.

I'd say Isla playing WB probably has more in common with teams who have attacking fullbacks in a back four than the roles Juve's CBs have in common with a team playing two CBs.

Are you going to say it would be unreasonable to say Chiellini and Barzagli are just about the CBs around because they can only be compared to other teams playing with a back three?

I disagree with you about the similarities in the roles of the players in the back 3 formation and back 4 formation. But let's say you are right, would you put Isla among the best players that occupy the right flanks, I have nothing against him but i don't think he fit the system wich utilise, and i doubt his great performances back in Udine are all due to his abilities but some of it is due to the system, great counter attacking football teams wich excels when they are left with space no wonder other players looked great in it ( Basta, Armero )

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I'm not that big on sticking labels on players like that.

Isla was fantastic at Udinese.

I believe he has the technique and intelligence to adjust to Juve's way of playing. He can offer a more subtle option for Juve, when the raw power and aggression of Lichtsteiner isn't appropriate.

Who rates Basta or Armero highly? Basta is solid at best and Armero is just an athlete with almost no football ability or intelligence.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
He has to prove that he's not a one-style player: counter attacking.

And even in that style, right now, he's still not as good as he was.

If he's going to only succeed in an Udinese countering style then he'll be mostly a backup for us. He has to adapt somehow.

I'm still not convinced that Lichtsteiner is better than him offensively. Licht is just a beast defensively. It would be nice for Isla to prove his worth offensively so we can at least trust him in games where we need offense. But as it is right now, Licht is bettering him in both departments despite Licht's obvious limitations going forward.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
isla was such an amazing wingback, truly the mightiest of the world, that he he had to be moved to CM to accommodate the greatness that is basta.
Blergh bleh blurrghh don't give a fuck what you say really. Watching him play at RWB for Udinese speaks for itself. Either you just didn't see that or you're blind/stupid. There's a reason we spent so much on him. Without even having a pre-season with this squad and being injured for a part of the season, its been difficult for Isla to adjust and he's probably lost a lot of confidence.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
isla need to be refunded back to udinese... unless conte is willing to revert back to 4-3-3 with litch and isla on the right wing, now that's something worth to try but conte doesn't seem fancy about it.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
He also needs to be given a go from time to time.

I still can't believe he didn't start against Celtic.

- - - Updated - - -

isla need to be refunded back to udinese... unless conte is willing to revert back to 4-3-3 with litch and isla on the right wing, now that's something worth to try but conte doesn't seem fancy about it.
If we ask for a refund we'll make a loss, so better give him a chance so that the move proves to be worthwhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 142)