Mauricio Isla - Udinese - Right Wing Back/Midfielder (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Why exactly are we signing this guy? Undoubtably a quality player but we've two players to cover the RB position already? If he's to be used as a midfielder then why buy Asamoah as well?
Just to hijack Inter? I guess that was our highest priority, thats why offered more than them, despite the fact that we dont need him that much...

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Just to hijack Inter? I guess that was our highest priority, thats why offered more than them, despite the fact that we dont need him that much...
We're not gonna spend that amount of money on a player that wasn't needed, simply to deny a rival. The only clubs who could operate in such a way is Chelski and Man City. We definitely need Isla, as he is an upgrade in our 3-5-2.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
He is going to be needed if Conte goes primarily with a 3-5-2. He is a very good younger player who was having a good season before his injury.

The only thing that concerns me about this is if Conte uses both a 3-5-2 and a 4-3-3, then it looks as if Pepe will most likely be the starter in the latter formation, which I am not sure that I am entirely cool with.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
We're not gonna spend that amount of money on a player that wasn't needed, simply to deny a rival. The only clubs who could operate in such a way is Chelski and Man City. We definitely need Isla, as he is an upgrade in our 3-5-2.
Upgrade?? Who is he gonna bench, Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal or Licht?

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
In the 3-5-2 he will compete against Lichtsteiner and Pepe for a starting place.

He is not brought in to replace Pirlo, Marchisio, nor Vidal.
I used to rate Isla, as a CM, havent seen him as RWB, but i m sure that isnt his primary prefered role.
As for the RWB, we have Licht and Caceres as a back up, we also can have Sorensen if we need an extra depth.
Isla and Maronne would make sence as our back up CMs, maybe with one more youngter like Pogba or Veratti.
But since we are getting Asamoah, Isla seems to be quite a surplus.
Esp considering that we have startes like Borrielo, Pepe, DC and Bonucci...

I havent thought that Isla can play as a RSS in a trident, i have never seen him playing there, i have no idea if he can do better than Pepe or Quaqs.
So, no Jovetic? Isla will throw Pepe on the bench?

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Exactly.

In the 4-3-3, Licht will be the starter, and Caceres will provide cover for RB and CB. Now, they still need to get an upgrade to the LB position as well.
And the CB line needs a similar 32mil investment.
In a 3-5-2 the CM line of Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal is much better than the Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci
So with the same logic we need an Asamoah and an Isla for that line too, Considering Bonucci, 2 Asamoahs maybe. And in order to complement Caceres and Isla, one of them should be able to play as LWB.

I am John

The Anallist
May 1, 2012
I used to rate Isla, as a CM, havent seen him as RWB, but i m sure that isnt his primary prefered role.
As for the RWB, we have Licht and Caceres as a back up, we also can have Sorensen if we need an extra depth.
Isla and Maronne would make sence as our back up CMs, maybe with one more youngter like Pogba or Veratti.
But since we are getting Asamoah, Isla seems to be quite a surplus.
Esp considering that we have startes like Borrielo, Pepe, DC and Bonucci...

I havent thought that Isla can play as a RSS in a trident, i have never seen him playing there, i have no idea if he can do better than Pepe or Quaqs.
So, no Jovetic? Isla will throw Pepe on the bench?
see Isla in youtube and decide yourself how he plays in the right flank. As for me, he's quite convincing playing there. Never seen him playing as CM though.
I hope you are not serious in saying Sorensen can be back up for RWB, well since you mention Boriello as our starters I think you are never serious anyway.
And you are saying we have Licht and Caceres as back up for RWB, so Isla for the starter, no?

For 4-3-3, I dont see Isla automatically put Pepe on the bench but if he plays well why not.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
And the CB line needs a similar 32mil investment.
In a 3-5-2 the CM line of Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal is much better than the Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci
So with the same logic we need an Asamoah and an Isla for that line too, Considering Bonucci, 2 Asamoahs maybe. And in order to complement Caceres and Isla, one of them should be able to play as LWB.
Not Necessarily.

I feel that they only need a reinforcement at LB.

The current defenders on the roster are as follows.

Lichtsteiner
Bonucci
Barzagli
Chiellini
DeCeglie
Caceres

Bonucci and Caceres provide cover for the CB position, with Caceres also providing cover at RB

With Another LB, all positions are adequately covered, in my opinion.

You have three top players in defense in Barzagli, Lichtsteiner, and Chiellini.

A new LB should automatically solidify the defense in a 4-3-3, whereas a 3-5-2, with the current roster and the LB addition, will provide even more quality depth

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
He's versatile, so it's not as if he is restricted to the CM position. He's just as good at RWB, and can also play on the left. Him not finding space or stepping on toes is not an issue.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
see Isla in youtube and decide yourself how he plays in the right flank. As for me, he's quite convincing playing there. Never seen him playing as CM though.
I hope you are not serious in saying Sorensen can be back up for RWB, well since you mention Boriello as our starters I think you are never serious anyway.
And you are saying we have Licht and Caceres as back up for RWB, so Isla for the starter, no?

For 4-3-3, I dont see Isla automatically put Pepe on the bench but if he plays well why not.
I dont rate by youtube, but i remember Isla being generally good at good foward, (2-3 years ago i was excited by the propect of signing him)
as for the RFW, i believe that even a Pepe is misused, my opinion is that it should be a forward, not an offensive midfielder, because an offensive midfielder cant be a real scoring threat. A youtube video can show a Pepe making a Maradona run, go past 3 men and the keeper and scoring a brilliant goal, i even saw it with my own eyes live, in this very season,
but it is really not illustrating the players actual talents and match/match performance/role. I am too conservative in that aspect, i admit.
But esp considering that our RSS is not quite a prolific scoarer either, i believe that our trident will be one dimensional and too predicable, if the opposition knows that all they have to do is stop the CF.
One of the reasons IMO, that our forward line wasnt that productive in end result, despite beind quite productive at creating scoring chances.

I seriously rate Sorensen and i prefered him to Motta as a RB starter, but we finally have a top class dedicated RB in Licht, i player i ve always adnired and was convinced of, even from the day we signed him.
Caceres is someone i never rated much defensively, but his speed and technique complements Licht and when we need a more offensive approach, we now have the answer.
A really balanced combo, Sorensen should be called, imo because in the longer season, we might need more depth, but anything above a youngster would be a waste of resources, let alone a 16mil investment.
I sincerely hope that is not what we bought Isla for.

Boriello unfortunately is our starter atm, Conte prefers him over Matri and Quaqs and until he is replaced, he will be considered as such.
Therefore it is our highest priority to replace him, before we start splashing 32mil to hijack Inter's deals...

IMO in a standard 4-3-3 Isla can only play as the right hand CM, but since our 4-3-3 is not quite a 4-3-3 but more of an assymetric 4-1-4-1, with the lateral midfielders providing actual support upfront, but still defend when necessary, Isla can play there, for the very reason Krasic couldnt and Pepe can, because he can also offer active support wide when we defend. To what degree though?
That means that we might invest an extra 15mil on a similar quality, more offensive solution, like Destro.
I would prefer Jovetic instead of those 2 and a standard 4-3-3.

But i guess we always favor mediocrity, half measures and quantity over quality...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I dont rate by youtube, but i remember Isla being generally good at good foward, (2-3 years ago i was excited by the propect of signing him)
as for the RFW, i believe that even a Pepe is misused, my opinion is that it should be a forward, not an offensive midfielder, because an offensive midfielder cant be a real scoring threat. A youtube video can show a Pepe making a Maradona run, go past 3 men and the keeper and scoring a brilliant goal, i even saw it with my own eyes live, in this very season,
but it is really not illustrating the players actual talents and match/match performance/role. I am too conservative in that aspect, i admit.
But esp considering that our RSS is not quite a prolific scoarer either, i believe that our trident will be one dimensional and too predicable, if the opposition knows that all they have to do is stop the CF.
One of the reasons IMO, that our forward line wasnt that productive in end result, despite beind quite productive at creating scoring chances.

I seriously rate Sorensen and i prefered him to Motta as a RB starter, but we finally have a top class dedicated RB in Licht, i player i ve always adnired and was convinced of, even from the day we signed him.
Caceres is someone i never rated much defensively, but his speed and technique complements Licht and when we need a more offensive approach, we now have the answer.
A really balanced combo, Sorensen should be called, imo because in the longer season, we might need more depth, but anything above a youngster would be a waste of resources, let alone a 16mil investment.
I sincerely hope that is not what we bought Isla for.

Boriello unfortunately is our starter atm, Conte prefers him over Matri and Quaqs and until he is replaced, he will be considered as such.
Therefore it is our highest priority to replace him, before we start splashing 32mil to hijack Inter's deals...

IMO in a standard 4-3-3 Isla can only play as the right hand CM, but since our 4-3-3 is not quite a 4-3-3 but more of an assymetric 4-1-4-1, with the lateral midfielders providing actual support upfront, but still defend when necessary, Isla can play there, for the very reason Krasic couldnt and Pepe can, because he can also offer active support wide when we defend. To what degree though?
That means that we might invest an extra 15mil on a similar quality, more offensive solution, like Destro.
I would prefer Jovetic instead of those 2 and a standard 4-3-3.

But i guess we always favor mediocrity, half measures and quantity over quality...

You know, everything in your post was great and made sense.

Until that last sentence.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Not Necessarily.

I feel that they only need a reinforcement at LB.

The current defenders on the roster are as follows.

Lichtsteiner
Bonucci
Barzagli
Chiellini
DeCeglie
Caceres

Bonucci and Caceres provide cover for the CB position, with Caceres also providing cover at RB

With Another LB, all positions are adequately covered, in my opinion.

You have three top players in defense in Barzagli, Lichtsteiner, and Chiellini.

A new LB should automatically solidify the defense in a 4-3-3, whereas a 3-5-2, with the current roster and the LB addition, will provide even more quality depth
In a 4-3-3, we really have an issue at the left side, with our only solid option currently being Chiellini.
But if we buy one more top CB, we could use the Licht, new CB, Barza, Chiello option, which is quite solid and Caceres, Bonucci, erm who? and DC as subs.

In the 3-5-3 we have a half decent line up, because we are forced to use Bonucci and no dedicated CB back up, which is criminal IMO, we should avoid using Asamoah and Vidal like the NT did.
And i dont understand why the double standards, why the 3 man midfield line need 2 16mil guys as back and the 3 CB line cant have not even one 16mil back up??
Ok Cacares can help, but so does Giaccherini and plenty of our side midfielders and the ammount of risk using Giacche in the midfield, is much lesser of the risk of using DC or even Licht there.
Yes Caceres is half an option, but in game in the CL, is one of Chiello or Barzagli are injured suspended, the 3-5-2 option is practically a no go.

Ideally we need an Asamoah class CB and a Licht class LB starter to be as comfortably as the CM line.
If we use Chiello as LB and DC as his sub, 2 CBs like Asamoah and Isla would do.
But at any case an Asamoah CB class is mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)