Matthijs de Ligt (40 Viewers)

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Why was De Ligt then our best defender last year and had such a big impact on the team? He was selected for the Bundesliga team of the season as well. He had so many big performances against the likes of PSG, Dortmund etc.

I definitely see him having a higher ceiling than Bremer for what he showed in the last half of the previous season. I get that Juve fans might not like him for the way he left, but the guy is very talented, there’s no doubt about it. Even if we put our personal likes/dislikes aside we should be able to acknowledge that.

De Ligt and Kim Min Jae has the potential to form the best CB for much of this decade imo.
No wonder you almost lost the championship since De Ligt was your best defender , I can now understand why :).

He was actually so good that now he is reserve material.
The lengths some people go to justify bad business .
It's OK , we got swindled by Ajax and you got swindled by us . You bound to realize that sooner or later.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
No wonder you almost lost the championship since De Ligt was your best defender , I can now understand why :).

He was actually so good that now he is reserve material.
The lengths some people go to justify bad business .
It's OK , we got swindled by Ajax and you got swindled by us . You bound to realize that sooner or later.
What you're saying here makes zero sense. You're aware he just came back from an injury and was injured pretty much the whole pre season right? And last year we played without a real number 9 for most of the season, when you had someone like Lewandowski leading the attack for 8 years and you sell him without buying a replacement you're bound to suffer in terms of scoring enough goals and finish of games that are on the balance. Not De Ligts fault Brazzo bought a washed Mane to replace Lewandowski, a player who's not even a real striker.

But sure, lets blame a well performing defender for our lack of finishing up front. :lol: You have no clue what you're talking about I see.

And losing your spot is called competition, it's normal when you've been injured in case you didn't figure that out. He will get plenty of game time as the season develops.

Last edited:

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
No defender is worth 100 million, in my opinion. In this position, individual players simply don't make enough of a difference. Systems are more important than individuals for defenders. Obviously there are some defenders who are genuinely great, but De Ligt is far from the only one in his age group who is great. Konate, Gvardiol, Dias, Romero, Araujo... so many options and there isn't much between them.

We overspent on De Ligt in 2019 because we thought he would be a generational difference-maker when in reality he's just one of many good young defenders today. But the Ajax hype was insane, while Romero was playing in a crap Genoa team so he wasn't as fancy.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
IMG_0478.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe because of the same reasons he ended up being benched by Demiral here for a while and why Juventus eventually decided to sell him at the first serious offer that was close to what they paid themselves for him.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
IMG_0478.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe because of the same reasons he ended up being benched by Demiral here for a while and why Juventus eventually decided to sell him at the first serious offer that was close to what they paid themselves for him.
we sold him because he wanted to go

- - - Updated - - -

Funny thing about De Ligt is didn't Tuchel want him at Chelsea before both ended up at Bayern?

Strickland

May 17, 2019
No defender is worth 100 million, in my opinion. In this position, individual players simply don't make enough of a difference. Systems are more important than individuals for defenders. Obviously there are some defenders who are genuinely great, but De Ligt is far from the only one in his age group who is great. Konate, Gvardiol, Dias, Romero, Araujo... so many options and there isn't much between them.

We overspent on De Ligt in 2019 because we thought he would be a generational difference-maker when in reality he's just one of many good young defenders today. But the Ajax hype was insane, while Romero was playing in a crap Genoa team so he wasn't as fancy.
I think right now the cheapest positions in football are goalkeepers and SS. Most modern formations and teams don't use a SS, so naturally the demand for even high quality SS like Dybala and Felix is limited, because it's hard to fit them in as anything else than a SS.

Even though I tend to agree that the difference between a WC CB and a very good CB isn't that big and the WC CB won't bring you extra 10 points on the pitch, for some reason in the footie market CBs are still valued highly and often command high transfer fees and salaries, they're treated at least as important as fullbacks and DMs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)