Matthijs de Ligt (36 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
No, it hasn't. Torino was better than and bigger than Juve and had a larger fan base before the air disaster. Hell, you're the only big club I've ever heard of building a smaller stadium.

And cities in Italy? What do you mean? Milan and Rome and Naples, or do you mean Lagos and Toronto? I would find some slight agreement if it were the latter.
We're not comparing fan bases from the 40s though are we? The point is that yes for a long time it was Torino who had the overwhelming fan base in the city, but since Juve's growth it's something of a myth I think to say that still holds true today. Support is often passed on by families but it's not a leap to think that kids born in Turin in the last 30 years are not going to gravitate to the most successful domestic club when they are based in your city, especially when the team holds something like 35% of the national club support.

Yes cities like Milan (although Juve has a huge fan base in Milan), Rome, Naples and Florence have more support for their local club(s) but Juve is basically second (or third) in all of those cities and first in many other places, particular in the southern half of Italy.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
photo_2022-07-29_02-17-04.jpg

De Ligt about Allegri:
“Allegri is a coach with a lot of experience, he knows football and he won a lot with Juventus and Milan. I am happy he’s my coach now. He’s really important for me to become better. He helps me a lot tactically.”

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Dude, have you read your own posts this summer?

De Ligt is a good defender. But for 75mil and his wages we should have been getting a generational talent, best defender in the game. He wasn’t even a top 5 CB in Serie A for three years running.
Listen you Muppet. I am genuinely hating on shit players, but De Ligt is actually quality.

Am I sad to see him leave? Absolutely not. We got Bremer, and I was never really attached to De Shitz as a player to start with.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you care to bet with hardware? Subtract league titles.
Sure, but it doesn't seem fair tbh. Trophies are team accomplishments. How about individual stats? Tackles, Interceptions, Cards, Overall Rating, Etc...?

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
:lol:
And in the recent timeframe you have been making these ridiculous assertions Juve has signed Chiesa, Vlahovic, Bremer, etc. the latter two aren’t Italian, you dope.
No, but they came from the same league. His point is that talents from across europe dont consider Italy, and by extension Juve, as attractive destinations. De Ligt was an exception, which is what made his move so surprising. But everybody knew that he was only treating us as his stepping stone for greater things. The "future captain" talk was just wishful thinking.
Also, Bremer had Inter as his only alternative, whereas Vlahovic had Arsenal. Of course they were going to choose Juve.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
No, but they came from the same league. His point is that talents from across europe dont consider Italy, and by extension Juve, as attractive destinations. De Ligt was an exception, which is what made his move so surprising. But everybody knew that he was only treating us as his stepping stone for greater things. The "future captain" talk was just wishful thinking.
Also, Bremer had Inter as his only alternative, whereas Vlahovic had Arsenal. Of course they were going to choose Juve.
Let’s stop moving goalposts just to fit the narative of some…

The absolute main reason promising young players or other already top players choose other leagues this days is first and foremost because most EPL clubs along with PSG and the top3 sides from Spain tend to offer much more in transfer fees to the selling club and also way more in wages to the players… We however prefer to buy from Serie A because the league is well known for requiring an adaptation period for foreign players and more often than not certain quality players might prefer to stay in Italy even if for less money while for Juve it makes sense because the overall investment and risks are limited by the fact the player is already adapted.

- - - Updated - - -

The management has their fair share of mistakes over the years no doubt but if we want to start some real talk let’s just start from the fact that if it wasn’t for Juventus’s success and model this past decade Serie A would have probably resembled the Dutch league in terms of quality and allure.

- - - Updated - - -

Too much overreacting around here based on the departure of a player who’s stint here over a span of 3years is actually accurately described by a large majority of the fanbase as having not lived up to the expectations and the player being largely overrated for what he’s shown so far. Let’s just move on and not generalize everything because of one or two examples that did not work out.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I didn’t pay much attention to Bremer saga before we signed him. But Vlahovic’s ex coach said Madrid, PSG, City were all interested. Commisso said Vlahovic rejected a Madrid offer. And English papers were all reporting he was Guardiola’s first choice and going to City all through January.

You don’t really think only Arsenal and Juve were interested in an emerging young star like Vlahovic, do you? After the two seasons he had?

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
I didn’t pay much attention to Bremer saga before we signed him. But Vlahovic’s ex coach said Madrid, PSG, City were all interested. Commisso said Vlahovic rejected a Madrid offer. And English papers were all reporting he was Guardiola’s first choice and going to City all through January.

You don’t really think only Arsenal and Juve were interested in an emerging young star like Vlahovic, do you? After the two seasons he had?
Commisso? You believe what that idiot says? Other reports at the time suggested that Vlahovic was in fact offered by Commisso to Madrid, but they turned down the proposal- a more realistic scenario because:
A. Commisso was going to do anything to make sure Juve didn't get a hand on another one of his talents, and B. it wouldn't make sense for Madrid to go after Vlahovic when they had set their sights on a summer move for Mbappe, at the time. Not to mention they already had a world class forward in Benzema anyway.

As for City, I live in the UK and I can tell you this is the first time I'm hearing this because I didn't see anything in the papers. But regardless, British press is never reliable in the slightest when it comes to transfer news, that's just a well known fact by this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on reliable journalism, not 'Daily Mail' rumours.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Commisso? You believe what that idiot says? Other reports at the time suggested that Vlahovic was in fact offered by Commisso to Madrid, but they turned down the proposal- a more realistic scenario because:
A. Commisso was going to do anything to make sure Juve didn't get a hand on another one of his talents, and B. it wouldn't make sense for Madrid to go after Vlahovic when they had set their sights on a summer move for Mbappe, at the time. Not to mention they already had a world class forward in Benzema anyway.

As for City, I live in the UK and I can tell you this is the first time I'm hearing this because I didn't see anything in the papers. But regardless, British press is never reliable in the slightest when it comes to transfer news, that's just a well known fact by this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on reliable journalism, not 'Daily Mail' rumours.
What reliable journalism? Di Marzio, etc? As if these guys have been any more reliable than anyone else. Google search Guardiola/Man City & Vlahovic and you’ll find dozens of articles from Italian/English/etc news sources about Guardiola wanting Dusan. Given that Man City had failed to get Kane and had no top striker at the time and that PSG had Mbappe refusing to extend and everyone assumed he was going to Real Madrid, it’s not surprising that those two clubs would have been interested in Vlahovic, one of the best young strikers in the game. His national team manager also brought up some of these clubs as being interested and said he told Dusan to stay in Italy and go to Juve.

Anyways, we’re all just speculating here, including you.

RoiLezard

LizardKing in black&white
Apr 7, 2018
He says nothing strange
Who cares about what he says. He shouldn’t have come in the first place. He knew we were never going to play tiki taka or total football. In Italy you sit back and don’t take risks. I’m sure he did his research before coming here. If he wanted to be the Nesta or Cannavaro type of player, someone has to tell him that they played and thrived in the same rigid system.

He’s just too salty that Juve didn’t change for him. No player is bigger than the club. He wanted to leave, good fucking fortune. Life goes on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)