Matthijs de Ligt (26 Viewers)

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
They also seem to compliment each other. I think Bonucci likes having someone with legs around him, it allows him to show the things he is good at. But also you can see Bonucci's 1v1 defending looks much improved, he covers better and looks more concentrated.
maybe De Ligt is teaching Bonbon a thing or 2 about tackling :D

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 16, 2020
They also seem to compliment each other. I think Bonucci likes having someone with legs around him, it allows him to show the things he is good at. But also you can see Bonucci's 1v1 defending looks much improved, he covers better and looks more concentrated.
Bonucci is a guy with mental problems, if he loses confidence he’ll make mistakes. Has been working with a mental coach for years. His failure at Milan was to be expected; new environment, high expectations and to much responsibilities. He’s been growing since last year, reaching a nice level by now. He’ll never be a killer or true leader like Chiellini, but he’s important for us. He’s good in anticipating and plays a important role in the build-up. His passing remains a weapon, delivers at least one or two nice balls to our strikers per game.

Other then this, he’s not a very likeable person.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Bonucci is improved by Sarri's system. Bonucci doesn't have to man mark, just watch the ball. The whole line moves in accordance to the position of the ball and they use the trap very well. These are all things that have suited Bonucci for his whole career because his anticipation is GOOD. Bonucci is comfortable with watching the ball as the team in front presses. He can anticipate where the opponent will play and always has been able to, as long as the opponent is under pressure.

This is what MDL had to adapt to (I could be mistaken but I don't think Ajax played this way. I think they pressed fine but preferred to man mark) and now is a complete monster. Probably already one of the best CBs in the world. If he puts himself in the proper position in accordance with the defensive line, I don't see how an attacker can pass him.

Last edited:

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Bonucci is improved by Sarri's system. Bonucci doesn't have to man mark, just watch the ball. The whole line moves in accordance to the position of the ball and they use the trap very well. These are all things that have suited Bonucci for his whole career because his anticipation is GOOD. Bonucci is comfortable with watching the ball as the team in front presses. He can anticipate where the opponent will play and always has been able to, as long as the opponent is under pressure.

This is what MDL had to adapt to (I could be mistaken but I don't think Ajax played this way. I think they pressed fine but preferred to man mark) and now is a complete monster. Probably already one of the best CBs in the world. If he puts himself in the proper position in accordance with the defensive line, I don't see how an attacker can pass him.
Actually you can see from time to time MDL goes high to press/foul while Bonucci stays back.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Sweeper-stopper is the ideal CB partnership where one covers/sweeps and the other marks/stops. This dates back to the pyramid and metodo times. With our own famed Rosetta-Caligaris duo, Rosetta was the former and Caligaris was the brute.

We had that with Bonucci-Chiellini, and now we have it with Bonucci and deLight. DeLight played that role with Ajax too (cept in a man marking setup instead of zonal) with Blind covering. Demiral-deLight will be interesting. Demiral has to be the brute. DeLight seems to have complete CB qualities like Barzagli, so should be able to cover. Hope that'll still get the best out of him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)