Matthijs de Ligt (11 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Trial by fire. When you play his high line and leave your CBs exposed this often, they either sink or swim. It requires a good deal of athleticism and physicality imo to succeed as a CB in Sarri’s system. I think De Ligt has it and will eventually shine here, like Koulibaly at Napoli.
He also had Raul Albiol, who is not athletic but who is used to build from the back. He's more likely to be the comparison if Chiellini plays as expected. I think de Ligt is somewhere between an Albiol or Koulibaly.

There is also something fairly obvious to point out - he's a teenage Dutch defender coming to Serie A, he's going to make mistakes. Defenders and keepers are always in the firing line.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He also had Raul Albiol, who is not athletic but who is used to build from the back. He's more likely to be the comparison if Chiellini plays as expected. I think de Ligt is somewhere between an Albiol or Koulibaly.

There is also something fairly obvious to point out - he's a teenage Dutch defender coming to Serie A, he's going to make mistakes. Defenders and keepers are always in the firing line.
Albiol really wasn’t anything other than serviceable for Napoli. They weren’t really a defensive stalwart team outside Sarri’s last season there.

De Ligt definitely isn’t the physical monster that Koulibaly is, but is a smarter defender than a young Koulibaly and is better with the ball imo. And yeah, mistakes are expected. He’s still a kid.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I think he's more suited to partner Bonucci than Chiellini. He's often the last defender as Chiellini defends quite high up, whereas with Bonucci he stays behind and De Ligt gets in more 1-vs-1 situations higher up the pitch

frick

Apr 4, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks it's more on De Sciglio than him on the 2nd goal? :shifty:
Other than I thought he had a decent game, defense-wise.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Why does every goal has to be on someone? De Ligt was shaky in understanding what his unit around him were doing. But I dont blame anyone for that 2nd goal, yeah high line, but it was also a perfect pass, counter and finish. Job well done by Atletico.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Why does every goal has to be on someone? De Ligt was shaky in understanding what his unit around him were doing. But I dont blame anyone for that 2nd goal, yeah high line, but it was also a perfect pass, counter and finish. Job well done by Atletico.
The guy making the pass had too much time to make the pass IMO.

Not much the CBs could do

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks it's more on De Sciglio than him on the 2nd goal? :shifty:
Other than I thought he had a decent game, defense-wise.
Yep, it was a great ATM play and IMO the only problem was communcation between MDS and MDL cuz the italian should call out the diagonal run of Joao loud and clear... after a couple of weeks playing together, easy to inderstand why?

The first one is 90% on MDS so I don't know aboit what people is talking about

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
It's my belief that Sarri has a terrible to non-existing defensive plan and developing a very young talent into a proper defender is not the right place with how Sarri plays. You have your Koulibaly reference I have what I have already seen. I'll leave it at that.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)