Matthijs de Ligt (4 Viewers)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Wait, am I the only one who thought he was just fine? That penalty was a nonsense call tbh and is a primary example of what's wrong with the handball these days. But other than that "error", I don't see how his game justifies the criticism he is getting.
You aren’t. He was decent barring the penalty. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to bench him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
He should learn to stay on his feet more, not lunging into tackles so often.
I suppose his apparent lack of speed has something to do with that.
Can't fault his handball which in other years would never be a penalty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
The handball (if it was one, still not sure!) was unlucky. otherwise, he played a very good game. it's not easy for a defender to keep this concentration for 90 minutes playing that style of possession football. He was at the right position to clear so many dangerous attacks and didn't hold back with challenges. His Bonucci partnership seems perfect.

Those poor pundits who claim he's flopping surely are only watching youtube highlights.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Wait, am I the only one who thought he was just fine? That penalty was a nonsense call tbh and is a primary example of what's wrong with the handball these days. But other than that "error", I don't see how his game justifies the criticism he is getting.
He performed well, but the PK decision was just and he was being stupid there.

- - - Updated - - -

He has it. He isn't up to the standards of a Juve CB yet but who is? His raw ability unquestionable.

Keep starting him.
Like we have a choice :D

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
His role is to be the more aggressive one of the the two, to push up high and meet the opponent. Therefore he's put in a position to potentially make more mistakes.
This. I also think his role with Sarri requires be aggresive and proactive for the ball and rival players so it's nothing but normal to make more mistakes. It's like having Vidal running in the MF bullying everyone and then be angry cuz he made some unnecesary faults

The penalty was a brainfart but u could clearly see how he ran over the ball everytime he could so it's quite difficult not be out of position or in bad timing at times

- - - Updated - - -

For instance, that play of Lukaku with the Bonbon clearance in the second half it has a lot to do with the agreessivenes our defense played all night, it forces rival to try to make quicker plays which implies way more mistakes

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2007
He is slowly becoming a beast at the back and a great partnership with Bonucci. Sad to see the end to the Chiellini era but glad to not lose a lot with this guy. I do think it was a handball though mainly because it was away from his body leaning into the player. But I dont necessarily fault him for that

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
I was upset with his performance after Napoli and made a knee-jerk reaction. Since then I've been more and more impressed with what I've seen. Sure, he makes some mistakes, but he's young. The talent is there for all to see, and there have been moments in which he has shown true signs of greatness. Some of the interceptions, headers and tackles he's made have been masterly. As for his shortcomings, he will correct those with time, I have no doubt.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
too much hate, he is super young for god sake. and he is already a world class defender.

i get scared every time bonucci is in 1v1 situation and he is considered one of the best in the last years..

give the kid a break!

Apr 29, 2006
De Ligt is doing better than expected. Everyone knows defenders need years to settle properly, he improved in a few weeks and started all the big games.

BonBon is playing and fighting for his life. IMHO that is enough to tell you how good De Ligt was. BonBon was poor last year, yet his spot was reserved in any big game.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Pretty obvious to say but it ain't easy being a center-back.

Strikers can make errors all game but if they score or assist once during that game they've done a good job. Whereas a defender can do everything right but if they err once resulting in a goal they're resounding failures.

I think after Napoli he's come on in leaps and bounds. Given the circumstances of his inclusion, he's adapted fantastically. He does rush after challenges a lot though and when they don't come off he leaves a big hole which Matuidi and Alex Sandro have been good enough to cover. If it weren't for them he might have been punished a bit more for his rashness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)