Matteo Darmian - RB/LB - Manchester United (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
What position are we signing him for? If he is Sandro replacement :yuck:
I think we can do better for Alves replacement also.

Dont really rate him that much tbh. Couple of years ago he was touted to be the next best thing fullbacks wise. Now Man Utd happy to get rid of him when he is 27 years old? Got outshined by De Sciglio in the euros and in general for Italy.

Almost becomes a case of, would we look at him if he wasnt italian.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
This has the smell of a signing that is going to happen. Italian international who showed promise early then went abroad, failed, and his club is now looking to get rid of. Might as well already confirm it.

We will overpay for him (his current value should drop off due to his poor form), it will be underwhelming of a signing, but he will do alright.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
What position are we signing him for? If he is Sandro replacement :yuck:
I think we can do better for Alves replacement also.

Dont really rate him that much tbh. Couple of years ago he was touted to be the next best thing fullbacks wise. Now Man Utd happy to get rid of him when he is 27 years old? Got outshined by De Sciglio in the euros and in general for Italy.

Almost becomes a case of, would we look at him if he wasnt italian.
So you are comparing him to Barzagli ?

Yeah, i like that idea too :tup:

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
This has the smell of a signing that is going to happen. Italian international who showed promise early then went abroad, failed, and his club is now looking to get rid of. Might as well already confirm it.

We will overpay for him (his current value should drop off due to his poor form), it will be underwhelming of a signing, but he will do alright.
For me he is copy of Lichtsteiner, very solid in defense but doesnt offer much in attack. As I said I would prefer someone else but wouldnt cry if we get him.
He didnt actually fail in manure though, he had bad start of the season, but later he did play some key matches for them, they just want someone more attacking minded apparently

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
For me he is copy of Lichtsteiner, very solid in defense but doesnt offer much in attack. As I said I would prefer someone else but wouldnt cry if we get him.
He didnt actually fail in manure though, he had bad start of the season, but later he did play some key matches for them, they just want someone more attacking minded apparently
Darmian doesnt offer anything in attack ?

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Italian that had the entire league raving about. Went abroad. Went off the radar. Seemed like a lost cause. got a bit older.
Board thinks he still has it.

That was barzagli in 2011
Barzagli was not rated highly in his 20s. (In fact he was considered lucky to be part of the 2006 WC glory). After the euro 2008 where Netherlands humiliated Italy 3:0 when he started that game people said good riddance when he left Italy and went to Bundesliga. He is one of those examples who got better with age, different defender in his 30s.

However Barzagli in 2011 was joining a 7th place Juventus. It was more of a make up bodies type of transfer initially.

Darmian is joining a CL finalist Juventus who shouldnt gamble on hope that Darmian can maybe turn it around.

Now is the time to invest and yeah maybe even pay more to rebuild with 2-3 smart additions to go again for the CL next season.

I really dont get the hype Darmian had even before he went to Utd, De Sciglio has actually put in some solid performances for Italy. Cant remember Darmian doing the same, struggled to get to team under Conte for instance.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Barzagli was not rated highly in his 20s. (In fact he was considered lucky to be part of the 2006 WC glory). After the euro 2008 where Netherlands humiliated Italy 3:0 when he started that game people said good riddance when he left Italy and went to Bundesliga. He is one of those examples who got better with age, different defender in his 30s.

However Barzagli in 2011 was joining a 7th place Juventus. It was more of a make up bodies type of transfer initially.

Darmian is joining a CL finalist Juventus who shouldnt gamble on hope that Darmian can maybe turn it around.

Now is the time to invest and yeah maybe even pay more to rebuild with 2-3 smart additions to go again for the CL next season.

I really dont get the hype Darmian had even before he went to Utd, De Sciglio has actually put in some solid performances for Italy. Cant remember Darmian doing the same, struggled to get to team under Conte for instance.
Barzagli and Kjaer where considered THE next big thing back in the early 2000s following their great seasons at Palermo. Barzagli especially was considered the new big CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)