out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Some voted against Max coming back? Really??
Yes. He's not the manager to move us into a new, modern era at this club, IMO. We're at a major fork in the road in how we want to move forward here. An Allegri appointment, at least to me, is a vote for extending and pretending like there isn't a massive problem with this side in terms of it's overall approach. Sure, we can maybe, and I mean maybe, squeeze out another scudetto potentially with the old guard in their wheelchairs. But I don't see any indication that Allegri would bring new ideas and action that we desperately need before we're left behind by the more modern and progressive sides across Europe.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yes. He's not the manager to move us into a new, modern era at this club, IMO. We're at a major fork in the road in how we want to move forward here. An Allegri appointment, at least to me, is a vote for extending and pretending like there isn't a massive problem with this side in terms of it's overall approach. Sure, we can maybe, and I mean maybe, squeeze out another scudetto potentially with the old guard in their wheelchairs. But I don't see any indication that Allegri would bring new ideas and action that we desperately need before we're left behind by the more modern and progressive sides across Europe.
We were never left behind by those modern and progressive sides in Europe under Max. And all that while chopping and changing the squad every year, and selling some of his best players. In reality we made fantastic strides in catching up to them under Max’s approach. Our squad building was almost exclusively the issue in his last year, as we had an aging, deteriorating squad with no engine/midfield, but before that we had 4 fantastic seasons, going to toe to toe with all the best teams in Europe.

The premise that Max’s tactics can’t cut it in modern football is just plain wrong and is not borne out by reality at all. Not sure why some of you keep pushing this lie.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
I was always pro Allegri but the last two years really made me appreciate him even more. Tactically, he pretty much always had it correct. He wasn't married to any one formation. He took clubs with fucking Sturaro and Lemina to the CL final for gods sake. Highest win % in club history. In recent interviews he even talks about the need for Italy to go younger and adapt to the modern game. He’s earned the benefit of the doubt that he will adapt. If we’re not gonna hire a foreigner, Allegri really is the best choice and I hope it happens

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
We were never left behind by those modern and progressive sides in Europe under Max. And all that while chopping and changing the squad every year, and selling some of his best players. In reality we made fantastic strides in catching up to them under Max’s approach. Our squad building was almost exclusively the issue in his last year, as we had an aging, deteriorating squad with no engine/midfield, but before that we had 4 fantastic seasons, going to toe to toe with all the best teams in Europe.

The premise that Max’s tactics can’t cut it in modern football is just plain wrong and is not borne out by reality at all. Not sure why some of you keep pushing this lie.
God that narrative that Max played old school or pussy football was annoying as hell and I would have hoped it was dropped after Sarri inherited the same team and never once played anything that resembled his Napoli team

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006

Agreed

people seem to conflate the notion of modern football and winning as if there is a high degree of correlation between the two. While the success of other coaches can be used as a counter argument to Max, it's a no-brainer that he was in fact the most successful coach in Europe (second only to ZZ whom people still shit on for winning 3x CLs which is baffling in itself that people question his greatness).

just like in summer of 2019 :lol: @ everyone that wanted a change from Max. Where we are now is the result lel

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

I think he's excellent at making do with what he has. But looking back at his years, I can't really say he's a progressive manager. His sides defended very well, at times were pretty good on the counter, and other times we could dominate through the midfield which led to chances. To me, that is a well-rounded, tactical approach to different situations which is fine. But we're at a point here where we need a transformation at this club -- one that elevates our football away from just a tactical approach to garner points any way we can. Not sure how this should be considered a lie, because this is exactly why we hired Sarri and then hired Pirlo. Disagree with them or not, the club obviously wanted to change our footballing approach, otherwise they would have stuck with Allegri. So the proof is in the pudding there.

We are in need of something called a business transformation. In IT and finance, when you're seeking to transform your organization into a more efficient and effective business model, sometimes you need a third party observer or consultant to understand where the problems lie. Most of the time the folks running the ship can't see it, because if they did, they would have made the changes a long time ago. In our situation, we have so many problems starting with poor management decisions and squad building, the desire to change our approach but inability to actually do it (at least they recognized that maybe a change n approach is good), and a model that isn't sustainable because of an aging squad and lack of revenue. Not all of those problems are Allegri's, but I think hiring Allegri again is the easy, short-term fix that doesn't really address anything if you're forward thinking like I am.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I was always pro Allegri but the last two years really made me appreciate him even more. Tactically, he pretty much always had it correct. He wasn't married to any one formation. He took clubs with fucking Sturaro and Lemina to the CL final for gods sake. Highest win % in club history. In recent interviews he even talks about the need for Italy to go younger and adapt to the modern game. He’s earned the benefit of the doubt that he will adapt. If we’re not gonna hire a foreigner, Allegri really is the best choice and I hope it happens
He is absolutely the best choice for a club like Juve. An Italian coach who has a relatively modern approach whilst not compromising structure.

The mess we are in makes him even more important as we badly need someone to give us a plan and make us solid. Not a hipster coach obsessed with a system, to me that is what separates good coaches from great ones.

Having a flexible coach who can successfully adapt his system based on the squad and situation is the pinnacle, and Allegri is superb at that.

Any one other than Allegri coaching us next year would be a huge mistake. I just worry about the choices of our management team in recent years.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He is absolutely the best choice for a club like Juve. An Italian coach who has a relatively modern approach whilst not compromising structure.

The mess we are in makes him even more important as we badly need someone to give us a plan and make us solid. Not a hipster coach obsessed with a system, to me that is what separates good coaches from great ones.

Having a flexible coach who can successfully adapt his system based on the squad and situation is the pinnacle, and Allegri is superb at that.

Any one other than Allegri coaching us next year would be a huge mistake. I just worry about the choices of our management team in recent years.
I don't see how his approach is modern. I mean, maybe it is to the old school Italian fans watching Serie A back in the 90's, but I don't think it is. It's just a highly tactical approach focused on not conceding goals.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
I don’t get this - why is he not the manager to move us forward?
In his 5 years here he continually moved us forward while having the rug pulled from under his feet. He was adaptable, not overly stubborn, he read games brilliantly, he motivated the players, he successfully got across the roles he wanted players to adopt and he got them to successfully do that (Dybala, Mandzukic, Cuadrado, pjanic etc), he integrated new signings that very rarely fitted into his preferred plans.

If we give Allegri the foundations that we didn’t the first time around he will be phenomenal - because what he achieved during his first stint was exactly that. People say we played boring football - we didn’t, we played structured and disciplined football and we overachieved. Some matches that we played with Allegri are my favourite of all time, the Real Madrid games, Barca games, Napoli games.

The people that can’t take us forward are Nedved, Paratici and Pirlo. Agnelli can take us forward if he surrounds himself with people that are willing to disagree with him

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I don't see how his approach is modern. I mean, maybe it is to the old school Italian fans watching Serie A back in the 90's, but I don't think it is. It's just a highly tactical approach focused on not conceding goals.
Relatively modern, especially for an Italian coach.

He played 4-2-3-1 with 3 strikers on the pitch plus Cuadrado who at that point was very much a winger.

He also played the ball out from the back before every team was doing it, albeit Conte introduced that.

He's not a tiki-taka coach or all out attack but he is not a catennacio coach either.

For me being modern is not about hipster football but being open minded to modern ideas (passing from the back, attacking players in different roles, less well used formations).

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
And that’s where you’re wrong imo. Of course he wants to not concede goals. Every coach wants this, even the most attack oriented coaches would prefer if they conceded no goals. Max’s tactics are about far more than just not conceding goals. His approach is about maximizing the skill sets of the players he has available to him while outscoring the opponent. He wants organization and solidity first and foremost, and then freedom up front for the attackers to work their magic. Zidane has done the same thing at Madrid. The two are tactically very similar. And organized, solid team, with freedom for the attackers to improvise and create magic up front. The difference being that Madrid was a much stronger side across the pitch with a proper midfield back when CR7 was there.

You know how many goals Madrid is on pace to score in 38 league games this season? 65 goals. That’s 5 less goals than Juventus scored in Allegri’s worst season (2018/19 when we scored 70, but were on pace to score around 85 goals for the second straight year, up until we clinched the scudetto and had nothing left to play for). But they are also only going to concede around 27 goals. You know why? Because Zidane recognized that attack was no longer their strength and adapted his tactics to suit their stronger midfield and defensive depth.

Max adapted his tactics over his last couple years to suit the stronger attackers we had and we scored 86 goals in the league in 17-18 and were on pace to do the same for 80% of his last season before we clinched scudetto. Before that we were a 70-80 goal side when our strength was in defence and midfield and our attack was weaker.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 469)