out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Ronaldo on the far left and dybala on the far right, then we try to cross the ball.

That's a summary of our attack just now.

Even amateurs and Primavera don't play that way.
Our midfield isnt picking out any run from our forwards and it is hard when opponent defends with 7-8 players in the box. We struggle more against these kind of teams than when the game is more open and they leave little more space behind. So our best bet is to whip the crosses in and pressure them into an error or break the deadlock from set pieces.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Needs to find a way to get the attack to gel. The players don't seem to know each other's movements.

Also been a few times this season we have gone almost 4-4-2 and Dybala/Ronaldo both go to the wing, leaving absolutely no attackers in the middle.

Would have liked to see Costa/Ronaldo/Dybala change position more. Ronaldo cut in from the left so often that MDS had so much space but didn't attack. The one time Costa got down the left he put in an excellent cross and we scored. Those 3 could be an incredible front line.
Ya I'm surprised Ronaldo is still playing so far on the left. There are times when we have absolutely no one for the CBs to mark. Most of the time I feel it's a positive as it allows us to control possession. But what we're really missing are CMs that can pop up around the box and take turns running into the places that CR7/Dybala vacate.

But that is a symptom of carrying Ronaldo as well. Because Matuidi is not playing as a real CM and it's not a real 4-3-3. It's like you said, closer to a 4-4-2. Matuidi playing mostly on the left and that means the two CMs in the centre are scared to be aggressive and vacate the space in front of Bonucci.

But in a serious situation, AS and Cancelo will be way up the pitch and allow CR7/Dybala to play more in the half spaces not all the way on the touchline. And we create danger that way. Today we never needed to do that as we were leading for about 88 minutes.

To be honest, I don't mind the 3-5-2 with CR7/Dybala because by default it puts the wingbacks higher up the field and I think that's when we're most dangerous.

You can get something like this:

AS - CR7 - Dybala - Cancelo

Whereas now you're getting something like this:

CR7-Dybala-Costa
Matuidi

But ya like I said, even with the 4-4-2/4-3-3 hybrid, you can still put the fullbacks way up the field. Just you'll be risking more. But we've never been chasing a goal so we haven't seen what a real 5th gear looks like.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
But that is a symptom of carrying Ronaldo as well. Because Matuidi is not playing as a real CM and it's not a real 4-3-3. It's like you said, closer to a 4-4-2. Matuidi playing mostly on the left and that means the two CMs in the centre are scared to be aggressive and vacate the space in front of Bonucci.
Our defensive shape is a clear 442 (has been the case since Jan 2017), and our attacking shape is a clear 433. It's not 442 at all when we attack.

But you're right, one of the B2Bs needed to make a run into the box. Becomes even more important with Dybala with F9.

Usually they do do that, but I guess they didn't in this game because they're fatigued and too slow during transitions.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
both higgy and ronaldo are better players than they were when they played together

this team would be amazing with higgy but alas, we had to sacrifice higgy.

now we can only hope dybala becomes a half decent striker and hope to god matuidi never gets injured

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 32, Guests: 108)