out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Yeah it will be 3-4-2-1, technically speaking it will be like our 4-2-3-1 with the right players, and I dont mind it due to our lack of RB options.

Gigi

Höwedes - Rugani - Chiellini

Cuadrado - Pjanic, Matuidi - Sandro

Dybala - Mandzukic

Higauin​

Is very close to a:

Gigi

Höwedes - Rugani, Chiellini, Sandro

Pjanic - Matuidi

Cuadrado - Dybala - Mandzukic

Higauin​

Its basically the same role for most players, main thing that changes is Chiellini will have the freedom to move further up with the ball then usual I'm guessing. The roles for the others should stay fairly similar most likely (for example Mandzu goes central and leaves whole left to Sandro anyways). Höwedes was never likely to join the attack so RCB or RB is not too different for his tasks. Dybala will still operate in the channels (and get lost...), ocassionally drift wide.

The shape or functionality of the above only changes drastically if Cuadrado is not available btw, you cannot play Licht instead of him, then it essentially becomes broken system with 5 defenders, then fluid or mobile as it could be.

Main difference will be there will be NO overlapping behind Cuadrado, that right side CB will stay put, or just receive passes for safety.
The idea of mandzukic playing behind Higuain sounds bad, sooner see Costa or Bernadeschi in that role

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I'm not sure I agree. Dybala's poor first touch and lack of willingness to use his right foot often puts him in trouble when he has no room or time on the ball in the center. He's just not a CAM at all. Out wide he would have more space to take more touches on the ball as well as doing his favorite thing which is cut inside and shoot with his left. Dybala skates by in the middle because his immense ability sort of makes up for his lack of instinct in the center but I think trying him further out wide is a good idea.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Maybe it's just me, but the idea that Dybala's favorite thing is to be cutting in from the right is a myth on tuz imo.

Find me stats to back up that claim.

Best thing about having him playing as AM (centrally) is that it allows him to place the ball wherever he wants to. His shot is great, why limit him to those Robben moves - Cut in, aim for top left corner? He ain't got the speed to begin with and his shot would be wasted.

RS would be fine, but RW would be an absolute waste imo.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
When we used 3-4-2-1 last year Dybala wasn't too wide. He was mostly on the right corner of the box which is his perfect position.

This formation suits him better. It's slightly more attacking in the final 3rd because it can look like this:

Higuain
Alex Sandro - Mandzukic - Dybala - Cuadrado​

Currently we will only have 4 players in the final 3rd. It's basically the addition of Alex Sandro that takes up Mario's spot. Now Mario drops in more centrally. There's just more players to mark and less to cover Dybala, so he finds more time on the ball.

Now the weakness is transition defending because you will have the 3 CBs + 2 DMs whereas now we basically have 4 defenders + 2 DMs. For the transition defending to work, you will need Alex Sandro and Cuadrado to be switched on if they are on the weakside flank. Which they usually are. If we are attacking down the left flank and Cuadrado is pressing up high on the opposite side, I'm sure he will be able to still recover quickly to provide that 6th man.

When we set it up though, it's the same 4-4-2 defence.

I do prefer this formation. I think when it's going well, it's better than our other options. But it's riskier.

A D A M

Oct 28, 2008
When we used 3-4-2-1 last year Dybala wasn't too wide. He was mostly on the right corner of the box which is his perfect position.

This formation suits him better. It's slightly more attacking in the final 3rd because it can look like this:

Higuain
Alex Sandro - Mandzukic - Dybala - Cuadrado​

Currently we will only have 4 players in the final 3rd. It's basically the addition of Alex Sandro that takes up Mario's spot. Now Mario drops in more centrally. There's just more players to mark and less to cover Dybala, so he finds more time on the ball.

Now the weakness is transition defending because you will have the 3 CBs + 2 DMs whereas now we basically have 4 defenders + 2 DMs. For the transition defending to work, you will need Alex Sandro and Cuadrado to be switched on if they are on the weakside flank. Which they usually are. If we are attacking down the left flank and Cuadrado is pressing up high on the opposite side, I'm sure he will be able to still recover quickly to provide that 6th man.

When we set it up though, it's the same 4-4-2 defence.

I do prefer this formation. I think when it's going well, it's better than our other options. But it's riskier.
yep... :tup:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I have been pointing out that the current formation 4-2-3-1 is not working for us before the lost CL final and imo, this is the main reason we lost it!
I understand that Allegri needs to leave his mark as a coach and wants to change Conte's formation.
I also understand that our mngmnt wants Juve to play a more attractive, offensive football.
But the system is not working and the players are systematically underperforming.
We are losing to very inferior teams and this system is about to cost us more titles and Max's seat.
A change is imperative! Italian newspapers insists quite a time now that Allegri is testing new formations, primarily 3-4-3 variations.
A formation change cannot happen in a day, there is lot of testing and fine calibrations that need to be done.
So obviously a holiday, or NT break is the right opportunity, hopefully it will happen, before too late...

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I think a change of formation could be very good for us defensive wise as we just cant keep our sheet clean...
3-4-3 It means Cuad and A.Sandro supporting 3 CB so the players for the formation are already decided unless D.Costa makes us think about him.. I wonder how he fares in a more central role alongside Dybala..

- - - Updated - - -

I have been pointing out that the current formation 4-2-3-1 is not working for us before the lost CL final and imo, this is the main reason we lost it!I understand that Allegri needs to leave his mark as a coach and wants to change Conte's formation.
I also understand that our mngmnt wants Juve to play a more attractive, offensive football.
But the system is not working and the players are systematically underperforming.
We are losing to very inferior teams and this system is about to cost us more titles and Max's seat.
A change is imperative! Italian newspapers insists quite a time now that Allegri is testing new formations, primarily 3-4-3 variations.
A formation change cannot happen in a day, there is lot of testing and fine calibrations that need to be done.
So obviously a holiday, or NT break is the right opportunity, hopefully it will happen, before too late...
I agree about the negatives of the 4-2-3-1 but seriously how has it not been working for us if we beat everyone comfortably until the final while in Italy we did win
When I say I agree about the negatives I mean the central midfield is too thin and need to bolster it a bit
The best thing we can do in the summer is sign a mean DM and a great creative type of CM to partner Pjanic (RB is an obvious need)
Verratti and a strong DM to support Verratti and Pjanic would make our mid very strong while Dybala gets more freedom as a result of 2 creative CMs and Higuain would score for fun given all of this..
4-3-3 after next summer is the way to go

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
At the first part of the season, we relied more on 3-5-2 and Allegri was constantly adapting.
Tinkering make us unpredictable, but once our game is learnt, we become one dimensional and some players like Dybala, obviously don't like it.
Allegri has great adapting capabilities, i am confident he can manage, but he must first realize and admit to himself, that for some reason, this vision of his is not working and let it go...
As for the transfers yes a RB and a CAM are a must, but in the DM i disagree, we only just now added Matuidi, we can always find a Chan and we should really give a chance to Bentancour.
We have DMs, it's at distribution were we suffer, clearly Dybala works better closer to the goal, but i can see Bernardeschi having a chance there before the season is over.
Veratti would be a dream, but is now out of reach, his current team can offer him more than more from us. But we should make sure that our door is open, whenever he feels homesick!

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
At the first part of the season, we relied more on 3-5-2 and Allegri was constantly adapting.
Tinkering make us unpredictable, but once our game is learnt, we become one dimensional and some players like Dybala, obviously don't like it.
Allegri has great adapting capabilities, i am confident he can manage, but he must first realize and admit to himself, that for some reason, this vision of his is not working and let it go...
As for the transfers yes a RB and a CAM are a must, but in the DM i disagree, we only just now added Matuidi, we can always find a Chan and we should really give a chance to Bentancour.
We have DMs, it's at distribution were we suffer, clearly Dybala works better closer to the goal, but i can see Bernardeschi having a chance there before the season is over.
Veratti would be a dream, but is now out of reach, his current team can offer him more than more from us. But we should make sure that our door is open, whenever he feels homesick!
True but his current team cant:
1. Provide him with a top quality pasta
2. make his family happy as we can (Juve fans)
3. Get him to a CL final to lose in...

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #32,855
    RAI's Marco Civoli[intertrista cunt] after the Azzurri game said this defeat is also Allegri's. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 58, Guests: 756)