Martin's usability suggestions (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I decided to make this a seperate thread because I knew there would be several points and if I keep it separate, it's easier to find the post later on. Now note that these ideas are not things that everyone will agree on, people never do. But I will keep to things that do make a difference and that are not very controversial. As everyone knows, I'm basically a postaholic both here and on Xtratime (with 10k+ posts) and I have been posting for 5 years to work out some ideas of what makes a forum good on usability. But what you should do is ask some of the other heavy posters for their opinions, because those are your most eager users.

1: Revert back to the old font size for posts.
The idea here is that the posts will always be by far the most important thing on this forum. People will read, read and read. You want to make it comfortable for them. It's not a coincidence that the vBulletin default font is being used by just about every forum running vbulletin, nor that it has survived since vb2. Quotes, signatures, post count, location etc, all that stuff very well could be (and probably should be) in a smaller font, but the post itself should be made as comfortable as possible for reading. What I feel now is that with the smaller font size, the posts doesn't stand out like it used to, seems less important so to speak.

2: Remove post icons
We haven't been using them at all until now, so they're new to everyone, noone's gonna miss them. I think they're pointless because they basically add nothing and they only take up space (and bandwidth for that matter), they're only in the way.

3: The "go to last post in thread" button is too small
I'm sure you're not too keen on changing it since you just put it up but the general rule with links is that links which are used frequently should be easy to click. When I open the Today's Post page, I click on that button for every thread I'm going into. Noone is going to click on the thread, and then go to the last post. Even if a thread has run longer than you remember, you would click on the icon which lands you let's say at page 10 and then scroll up the page, go to page 9 or 8. The point is that this icon is used a lot and should be easier to click, not once but a thousand times.

Attachment: lastpostinthread.jpg

4: Navigate-thread links are too small
This comes back to the previous point. Clicking on the links for page 3, 4 etc are too small. In addition, I'd like it easier to navigate relatively.

Attachment: navigatethread.jpg

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I agree with Martin on those points. Especially the font size is something that bothers me. Other than that I have to say the forum looks great.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
1. i quess we have to get used to it
2. some post icons are still usable and irreplacable:blah: :devil: :wallbang:
3.Totally agree,very usefull button and the icon isnt that inspired IMO either,
this is one of the biggest flaws of the upgrades,
the only one for me,i welcome the rest of the chances...

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
Point 3 was already pointed out and the size was increased, Keith didn't want them larger than currently. As for the other points, well that's a job for Keith as well.

/me hides

Keith

JuveDever
Nov 12, 2005
Point 1: Ok up the post font size to the default vB.

Point 2: As in post icons I assume you mean the ones that appear with the the post title and on the thread view between the post images (squares) and the thread title. I asked Marty about this prior to the launch and he said he would like to keep them so that will have to go through him.

Point 3: Those icons have been bumped up to 12x12 which is the same size as vB default ones. Previous was 10x10 and now should be big enough.

Point 4: I have already had to adjust the pagination so it will fit properly in the fixed width styles and is the same size font wise and padding wise as other vB boards so I have no plans to change the size of it. Sorry about that.

Sorry about the delay in the changes with the server being down I was unable to get them done sooner.

Keith

JuveDever
Nov 12, 2005
ah I see I forgot one template .. vB 3 and up puts there last post info right after the thread title .. then replies and views.

So I went in and moved all the last posts information (except forgot to move the search header one) to the far right like more traditional forums.

I will fix that now and thanks for the heads up :)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
No prob :)

Also, what do think about making the user information box thinner? Like where I put that red line in the attached image:

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
Still no way to click quote and quote multiple posts, right? (there is usually a white check box near the quote button, so you check it, and as many as you want, then hit quote and it quotes them all)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
Tifoso Lou said:
Still no way to click quote and quote multiple posts, right? (there is usually a white check box near the quote button, so you check it, and as many as you want, then hit quote and it quotes them all)
Awesome mod. Good call. :agree:

On Martin's points:

1. Didnt bother me, but if it bothers others. I dont notice a difference tbh.
2. Agreed on removing post icons. It will streamline forum usage. And knowing the bunch of clowns on here We'll be starting threads like "Post-icon-sequence thread!" etc. :D
3. Agreed.
4. Not sure why you circles the little post-read icon there. Maybe I dont understand what your saying? I do think the page navigation is difficult though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)