Martin, when everything else fails.... (1 Viewer)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Delete that before you give poor martin a heart attack!! ;)

He'll start a "CPU rights Demonstration" or a "Million Geek March" demenstration :D

OP
*aca*

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    the one on the right needs time. its not cooked well.
    Thats because Martin's fan is not big enough :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Good one, aca :D

Geeks are much too lazy for that, just look in the mirror ;):p
    i guess it should be: "Million Geek Roll" with everyone in their rolling 5-wheel desk chairs :D

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by *aca* ] ++

Thats because Martin's fan is not big enough :D

now, aca, is that or is that not a double entendre with sexual undertones? im just curious.

anyways, i believe microsoft needs a competitor.

is there no way that one version of a program can be compatible with another OS as well as windows?

the problem i see with mac os is that often a separate set of programs have to be developed to do something that can be done in windows and the unfamiliarity between the microsoft and mac versions of the program, or otherwise the two different sets of programs (i-tunes and realplayer for example) are something of a battle-ground between the two and their fans(obviously one set of which are a lot more hardcore).

Would I be right?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    is there no way that one version of a program can be compatible with another OS as well as windows?
    That's right.

the problem i see with mac os is that often a separate set of programs have to be developed to do something that can be done in windows and the unfamiliarity between the microsoft and mac versions of the program, or otherwise the two different sets of programs (i-tunes and realplayer for example) are something of a battle-ground between the two and their fans(obviously one set of which are a lot more hardcore).
    the maccers can't compete with the Pc. They never could, they never will. So they restrict all their efforts to the mac, where they have no competition. Although it's funny that Microsoft's grand influence comes to front also on the mac, both Office and Media Player are standard software for the mac nowadays, as was Internet Explorer until Microsoft pulled the plug on it. As much as I'm sure they would like to avoid it, the maccers are pretty much forced into using some Microsoft software themselves.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    orite so if john doe from the imaginarysoft corporation develops an OS, is there any way it can successfully compete with microsoft? is it realistically possible?

(btw I own all intellectual property and content displayed in my posts. nobody can steal my ideas unless i expressly allow them to.)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    orite so if john doe from the imaginarysoft corporation develops an OS, is there any way it can successfully compete with microsoft? is it realistically possible?
    fraid not, john, not if you're thinking desktop OS. Who's gonna buy your software? Even if it were well tested and certified for quality, which btw is a loooong way from just starting up a business, Microsoft got hardware vendors shipping Windows with their hardware. That's no exception, that's a standard, pretty much global too. Hell, even if your OS were free noone would take it. Windows is well known and used all over the place, anyone using your stuff would be incompatible. And here we arrive at point two, an OS alone won't do, you need software so people can use it and be productive. You plan to develop that yourself? Even if you did, your package would be nothing but a fringe product. It's a hard life life, johnny...

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

fraid not, john, not if you're thinking desktop OS. Who's gonna buy your software? Even if it were well tested and certified for quality, which btw is a loooong way from just starting up a business, Microsoft got hardware vendors shipping Windows with their hardware. That's no exception, that's a standard, pretty much global too. Hell, even if your OS were free noone would take it. Windows is well known and used all over the place, anyone using your stuff would be incompatible. And here we arrive at point two, an OS alone won't do, you need software so people can use it and be productive. You plan to develop that yourself? Even if you did, your package would be nothing but a fringe product. It's a hard life life, johnny...

i was well aware of that problem, and thats where my previous one program, 2 OS suggestion comes in- #10

what incentives do hardware vendors recieve from microsoft that persuades them to sell windows with their systems? do they get a commission?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    what incentives do hardware vendors recieve from microsoft that persuades them to sell windows with their systems? do they get a commission?
    Indeed they do get commission, but it also makes their products more attractive to customers who can use the computer right out of the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)