Martin Cáceres (26 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Grygera is a decent defensive fullback, but is a limited player.

He clearly had an absolutely appalling season, though.
You can't have it both ways, Red.

Even if Caceres makes some braindead tackles, Grygera is the definition of a brainless fullback.

Caceres looked pretty solid compared to the clown you always wrongly defend.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Caceres main failing is his lack of a brain. He has the physique and the technique to be good player.

Grygera has the brain, but doesn't have the technique or the physical attributes to be a top player.

And things like Grygera's short back pass can happen to anyone and I've never known Grygera to make mistake like that before. Lunging into tackle after tackle when you have no chance of winning the ball shows a real lack of basic judgement.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He made three bonehead passes that resulted in goals last season. They were not all back passes to Buffon.

Caceres has talent. Get him to be more cautious and he can be good.

Or at least better than the moron you defend relentlessly.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
caceres looked good, at times, due to his eagerness to bomb forward, take a pop at goal if the chance arose, and cross, fairly well. However, positionally, tactically, in the tackle, he looked a clear second to the gryerga goblin I know of this last shocking season and before. Especially in a more solid 4-4-2, grygera is clearly the more dependable choice.

Caceres' energy, heart, determination are all welcome, but the fact that his timing of tackles, and positional awareness are wretched, make him more a liability than the reliable, yet unexciting Czech.

Maybe Caceres could be taught how to defend, but we need players who already know how to defend...I will be unaffected if we lose out on the uruguayan, and we keep grygera, as a backup, though he can go as well if we bring in Cassani and Motta. Two capable players competing for every position is the perfect situation. Zebina isn't even worth mentioning...as he is invisible on the field, unless he gets angry and causes an ugly scene.

Defending, or rather Timing and Positioning, defensive intelligence, has always seemed rooted more in natural talent than well trained into a player, for me. A player like Chiellini for example, had talent, rugged talent, but it needed taming, focusing, polishing, which has thankfully happened. In caceres I see more natural ability as a runner, a powerhouse, and keenness to throw his all into every single challenge. Not...natural defensive talent.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Grygera anywhere in this team is about the dumbest thing we could possibly too. That guy has clearly been our worst defender by miles.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
You must have missed the consistently atrocious performances of Grosso, De Ceglie and Zebina...
You must have missed the last 2 seasons altogether.
Those players were pretty poor, yes, but I still have to say Grygera was the worst. Certainly worse than Greasebag and Zebina.
Exactly. Grygera is by far the worst defender in my memory to have ever worn this jersey.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
With Grosso, i rate his season more harshly than the others, because I had allowed myself to hope for more from him. Even though if truth be told, the few times I have seen him really raise his game, have ALL been for Italy...My expectations of him were higher than of all our other defenders. I guess also, I had fooled myself into believing that Zebina was, somehow, going to show, that despite his past of at best, awful, this season, he was going to really prove to us that he had some worth. De Ceglie I expected to be poor, because he cant defend. A decent runner, with a sometimes decent cross in his left boot, but never a defender.

Maybe I am better saying they were all disgraceful...I just see Grygera as the only one of that group who at least seems to know how to defend, as in where he should be and what he should not attempt. Though that is based on his previous time with us. At best, a solid backup. Still would very happy to see Cassani and Motta fighting it out, pushing each other for the right back slot.

And why not try Caceres in the middle, where many have written, that he could potentially be quality. With Legro dying, and Canna now an arab, we only have Ariuado left, to partner Chiellini...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)