Martín Montoya - D RL - Barcelona (10 Viewers)

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #143
    The best part of the article is when GDM mentions a ¾ista/natural offensive winger :ID:

he better be good though. :scared:

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
    The best part of the article is when GDM mentions a ¾ista/natural offensive winger :ID:

he better be good though. :scared:
    Now that's something I wanted to hear. I don't see fullback being as important as am/winger right now.

Shaqiri would be good, too bad he's cup tied.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
    Apr 19, 2003
    Are we after Montoya to rotate with Licth or first of all start as LB?

- - - Updated - - -

He's not the Mata/Isco/Pastore level but he's great and ofcourse much better than Pereyra.
    Plus he's only 23yrs.

Would be great deal if we manage to get him.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    so when is it official? before or as soon as the mercato opens (around 5th January?). and when will he be in the squad? against Napoli or in the Coppa vs Verona?

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
    Sep 21, 2008
    Montoya seems to be on the outs with Barca. It could force their hand into a favourable transfer for us. He wants to leave and it seems they can't be bothered if he leaves. 20M is outrageous. I would pay 10M, maybe 12M over 4 years. Nothing more.

Montoya has some positives. He can play RB or LB. He has very good energy like Lichtsteiner. Very good off ball movement. Eager to make attacking runs. He's lighter than Lichtsteiner in defence (it will be hard to find a RB as good as Lichtsteiner defensively). I would say he's better than Lichtsteiner offensively but he's not exactly an attacking RB.

Better ball control, quicker decisions, quicker feet, tighter dribbling, better crossing (slightly). Grew up in La Masia, you know that type of player. But he's not an offensive RB to me. He's not like Maicon who can shoot from anywhere or can run the whole flank even at his current age and put a laser cross in. He's a stable option offensively.

He is a good tackler from what I've seen but lacks great size and strength for me. He's more of a modern RB who can play the ball but is not like Lichtsteiner who can be a prick, crunch people, man mark flawlessly on set pieces, etc.

I think our board likes his mentality though. He's a soldier on the field, something we always valued. Keeps his head down, moves the ball, gives an honest effort every match. He will not cause problems and fit with the team.

He has been benched at Barca for his whole tenure there. He's quite possibly the best RB option on the team right now but never plays so it's natural for him to want to leave. I don't think it's an indictment on his character. His treatment at Barca has not been great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)