Marquez (11 Viewers)

chadi

THE NEXT JUVE PRESIDENT
Apr 19, 2006
I didn't know ayala signed for villareal shame on secco we could've signed him for few bucks...... and I approve on marques I mean he was a starter these last 2 years and barcelona won both la ligas and a champions league so I say what the hell let's get him he'll be great in leading our defence let's also bring barzagli I see him as the next cannavaro
BY the way from our defenders who is being sold????

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
I really like Marquez... the guy was beyond money for Mexico in the World Cup, and if properly used can be a world class defender and be the leader they desperately require. Barca's foolishness in playing him out of position could be our advantage. He instantly adds credibility to the backline, and can definitely apprentice our younger defensive talents, like Criscito and Chiellini... (as well as Barzagli and Molinaro if they arrive). He blows everyone else we have out of the water, with only Grygera and Chiellini coming close. I hope he wants the opportunity to be the #1 defender at a top club and takes on the challenge.

We can't reasonably expect a whole lot better right now, especially for that price. Was he not also awarded top defender in Ligue 1, not too long ago?

Lets also not forget defenders tend to get exposed a lot more in spanish league... Zambrotta and Cannavaro sure don't look as good with their respective teams as they did with Juve.

I expect the big money will be spent on a Liverpool midfielder or two.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Milito will cost more and again he would choose Barca over us.
Kapo had a pretty good time at Levante and a handful of clubs in Spain want to sign him. Im sure Kapo + cash for Milito would tempt them. We can even through Zalayeta in the deal if need be.

Adzke

May 19, 2007
As mentioned, defenders get exposed in Spain, especially in Barcelona. Keeping that in mind, Rafa Marquez has (more or less) consistently performed at Barca.

If he does end up in Juventus, it will be a great deal, and most people propably wouldn't know what we got until they see him in action.

So let's not look at the dark side of things. He could go on to become a great signing for us.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
As mentioned, defenders get exposed in Spain, especially in Barcelona. Keeping that in mind, Rafa Marquez has (more or less) consistently performed at Barca.

If he does end up in Juventus, it will be a great deal, and most people propably wouldn't know what we got until they see him in action.

So let's not look at the dark side of things. He could go on to become a great signing for us.
Welcome to the board, good first post.

Its true, Italian teams have a way of getting the best out of defenders, especially Juventus. If Marquez comes here, you can bet many people will be surprised at how effective he'll be.

Adzke

May 19, 2007
Welcome to the board, good first post.

Its true, Italian teams have a way of getting the best out of defenders, especially Juventus. If Marquez comes here, you can bet many people will be surprised at how effective he'll be.
Thanks! :)

Besides, Marquez is not a bull rush defender, who charges forward at every given opportunity. He usually plays in a calm way that brings stability.

He would fit in well with the "Italian" mentality in defense.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
Thanks! :)

Besides, Marquez is not a bull rush defender, who charges forward at every given opportunity. He usually plays in a calm way that brings stability.

He would fit in well with the "Italian" mentality in defense.
Definitely. Watching him for Mexico (which might be a better gauge than with Barca), he was the glue... very smart, very deliberate, and most of all very calm. He reminds me of a cross between Thuram and Cannavaro, which can't be a bad thing.

Watch him turn around and stay with Barca, and we end up with some dufus. Especially since I can feel my hopes getting up.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I really like Marquez... the guy was beyond money for Mexico in the World Cup, and if properly used can be a world class defender and be the leader they desperately require. Barca's foolishness in playing him out of position could be our advantage. He instantly adds credibility to the backline, and can definitely apprentice our younger defensive talents, like Criscito and Chiellini... (as well as Barzagli and Molinaro if they arrive). He blows everyone else we have out of the water, with only Grygera and Chiellini coming close. I hope he wants the opportunity to be the #1 defender at a top club and takes on the challenge.

We can't reasonably expect a whole lot better right now, especially for that price. Was he not also awarded top defender in Ligue 1, not too long ago?

Lets also not forget defenders tend to get exposed a lot more in spanish league... Zambrotta and Cannavaro sure don't look as good with their respective teams as they did with Juve.

I expect the big money will be spent on a Liverpool midfielder or two.
:thumbs:

I'd like him for the exact same reasons.

Adzke

May 19, 2007
Definitely. Watching him for Mexico (which might be a better gauge than with Barca), he was the glue... very smart, very deliberate, and most of all very calm. He reminds me of a cross between Thuram and Cannavaro, which can't be a bad thing.

Watch him turn around and stay with Barca, and we end up with some dufus. Especially since I can feel my hopes getting up.
I feel the exact same way. I start hyping a rumoured transfer target and suddenly he decides to stay at his current club.

Secco will propably deny the link tomorrow, and we will all know, that we missed out on a great opportunity to get a great defender (and player).

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Always thought Marquez was a good player, he had a great WC too, true this season he was shit. I don't mind him basically...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Welcome to the forums and good first post. You're right, Marquez could become a great player for us as he has all the tools.

Actually, in my opinion Marquez is really close to the complete defender... he has good positioning, tackling, marking skills and speed, as well as being adept in the air and being able to smoothly pass the ball around and bring it out of the back. He's more complete than Thuram and Cannavaro in all honesty, sort of like Chivu at Roma. But Marquez will never have the tackling ability that Cannavaro used to have.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
Always thought Marquez was a good player, he had a great WC too, true this season he was shit. I don't mind him basically...
Yep, and of course, Cannavaro was not all that impressive with Inter, yet once he came here, became the world class defender we saw lead Italy to the World Cup.

Of course, he was too foolish to realize Spain ruins top defenders and only saw $$ (I don't even think he saw CL glory, RM are perennial chokers)... hopefully Marquez is a little more rational and sees a potential legacy in the making.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Marquez had a bad season in Barca but that doesn't mean he is bad player. I rate him more than Heinze.

And btw. I've red somewhere that Secco said we gonna have the biggest transfer budget in EU, I just hope he is telling the truth.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
why are ppl so against Marquez...he is a very good defender easily among the top 10 CBs in the world and is still only 28...plus we can get him for around 10 mil euros i think...i would say we should jump at the chance to sign him...and ppl please do not judge a player based on the present season alone...in that case you could argue that Henry sux...but we all know that thats far from the truth

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Personally, I hate Marquez but you have got to admit he's a great player. Rafa is a fantastic leader who used to be one of the best centerbacks in the world until Rijkaard started using him at defensive midfield. I really can't stand Mexican players and he can be a bit dirty at times, but honestly, to compare him with Legrottaglie or Boumsong is just nonsensical... the guy blows anybody we have at the back out of the water. Moreover, he would really improve our distribution out of the back as well.

I say lets get him as whoever wrote that Goal.com article is right... we have to be realistic here and look for good deals. And besides that, Marquez is better than Barzagli.
Marquez is NOT better than Barzagli. He is Mexican who plays in a league where there is no such thing as defense and he makes bonehead decisions by the truckload. He is an idiot and I don't want any part of him of Juventus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)