Mario Mandžukić (20 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003

Mandzukic: "I want thank all of the fans for banner they made of me for the match against Barcelona in the Champions League. It's hard to describe the emotion that I felt in that moment, I didn't expect it and I was impressed by the size of the choreography, the best way I can repay them is to continue working hard to give satisfaction to the Juventus fans."
What was this about?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He didn't play well today, but if I had to bet on a player being clutch against Spurs between Higgy and him, I'd bet on Mandzukic
I think Dougie C is starting to do well, but people acting like Mandzu's only playing because of workrate and Costa is so much better offensively. Costa has 3 goals-6 assists in ~1500 minutes. Mario has 7 goals-3 assists in ~2000 minutes. Add to that, 2 of Mario's goals this season are in CL, while Costa has done next to nothing on the big stage.

It's hardly some dramatic attacking upgrade playing Costa on that wing instead of Mandzukic.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I think Dougie C is starting to do well, but people acting like Mandzu's only playing because of workrate and Costa is so much better offensively. Costa has 3 goals-6 assists in ~1500 minutes. Mario has 7 goals-3 assists in ~2000 minutes. Add to that, 2 of Mario's goals this season are in CL, while Costa has done next to nothing on the big stage.

It's hardly some dramatic attacking upgrade playing Costa on that wing instead of Mandzukic.
Mandy is going to eat Spurs alive and still people will complain. He's not flair and fancy enough, so he can't be good.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Love Mandzukic, but statistical comparisons to Costa at this point don't say a whole lot. Costa's stats are basically just hinting at what his potential productivity could be.

DC has new teammates to get used to, has played both sides, and Max has also used him sporadically. Obviously not a terrible number of minutes, given he's a new arrival coming into a CL finalist squad, but obviously not much continuity over the first few months of the season. Mario needs to be more engaged than he has been lately, and hopefully he's totally focused against Tottenham -- going to need him. Definitely more inconsistent performances from him this season, and 32 in May. Love what he's given us over the years, but doubt he's going to be locking down that left flank for very much longer.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
We have two natural wingers in great form and then we have a striker on the wing who is in terrible form. No brainer to put Mandzu on the bench for a while.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
+1 But has been very good at wing since last year but Higgy's spot should be his main position. Honestly thought he would get more time there, but Max seems to be in love with the Fat One.
Mandzukic should get some bench too. Mainly because he seems to need a rest to come with fresh ideas

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
If he ends up checking out mentally at against Spurs, I think you may see him hit the bench for a game or two.

Would be very surprised if Max doesn't start the man on Tuesday, though. (unless there's a physical issues)

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Mandzukic should get some bench too. Mainly because he seems to need a rest to come with fresh ideas
I completely agree. He's giving it 110% every time on the pitch, running his ass off and he's no spring chicken. Really has played for the TEAM instead of himself. Could have complained to be a striker more often IMO. Max loves him but should realize he could use the rest, save him for more important matches later on. Like without his one of the all-time great goals it's a 4-0 final defeat.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Not only that, but he is really overdoing it in that position. I think his physical stress is too high for his age and his frame.

Last year was a cute innovation but i think allegri is burning him.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
I don’t see the point of playing defensive wingers in a 433.

I could understand it when we were playing that 442 formation last season (with Higuain and Dybala up top), you need Cuadrado and Mandzukic’s workrate.

Now we have bought Matuidi and play 433, there’s less need for a defensive minded winger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)