Maresca : Hype or Real Deal (1 Viewer)

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
I know theres already a thread about Maresca, but I wanted to keep this seperate as its a question rather than a general Maresca topic.

So the question... Is Maresca the real deal or jus a hyped up nothing... or maybe jus a good solid player ???? Please dont jus throw ... your wrong etc in... tell us why hes good , What makes him a good player

To me Maresca is no more than a reasonably talented player whose role at a club of this level can really be know more than that of a utility player.

Over the last years... I have witnessed every appearence he has made for juve in full, every match played for the azzurinni, about 15 full games for piacenza and several matches in his time at WBA.

WBA :
Maresca returned with his tail between his legs... A failure.

Azzurinni :
His play has been relatively consistent but never outstanding with jus flashes of quality... More solid.

Piacenza :
At piacenza he was hailed a great. But thats so much easier when you are the focal point in a small team.... everything went through him , he had chance after chance to provide... where as at a well oiled top flight club, you dont get that .
This can be seen to a certain extent with our other young star ... Miccoli who has been very inconsistent with his performences... He has really shown the difference between playing in a smaller team and coming on to the big stage.... Though in Miccoli's case he has for me shown flashes to point to him if treated correctly becoming a great player.

Juve :
Again inconsistent but generally jus shown me he doesnt really have the tools to be a major player in a team like juve... mostly out of his depth.

In General ::

Maresca has in all the matches ive seen him play... never actually impressed me that much , hes shown flashes but no more.
Personally from what ive seen , I can see no more than a good player who could be a big figure at a middle of the road team or a spare man at a great team.

Playing ::

In Maresca i see a talented player, but not much else...

He is possibly the slowest player i have ever witnessed, which ok is fine in serie A but come europe it will be a problem.

His passing is inconsistent, sometimes great often awful.
But more worrying his reading of the game is weak... Poor vision.

He has a good shot and a reasonable freekick... but other set plays he is poor.

He has skills no doubt

An average tackler.

Full of Enthusiasm

Loves to wear the shirt

has a lovely Touch

Basically I think hes a talented player that will make a great support player for us but never a great or really a starting regular

So thats what I think....

So all you that hail enzo... Please tell me what makes him a great player, what he does that gets you excited, what has he to offer a team at this level???

Please make this thread worthwhile with answers rather than the normal, agree, disagree, idiot, etc

I know there are many here that think enzo's great, many that havent really seen him play and also some that question him like I do....

So this is an opportunity from those that have seen him play to enlighten those that havent or are unsure about him.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Well, I havent seen him nearly as much as you have, so I guess that makes my opinion less qualified, but, judging, from last season, he's a very good player in the making, a future Azzuri regular :)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I saw him few games in Piacenza, and as you said , he was good....because he was the main focus in all the plays.

IN all the games i have seen him in Juve. i have liked his work,,, and i have seen great talent in his passes, sadly i dont like him playing as a def mid... but there is no more room in the front. Maybe later.

In My personal tastes, i like how the guy works... and is excellent for being a quality sub whn we need him. I see potential in him... and maybe in the future he could be more useful than now.

I really like him, so i really dont see why the fuss.

I mean,, to have a star player in the bench... is beter to have maresca that is a promosing one,, and not neccesarily have to be in the starting line up.

ebraheej

Jul 16, 2002
Well.... Ididnt see him play much, but from what I saw I think he could be a team regular. He could be the most complete Defensive or center midfielder. He is technicaly gifted, makes good passes, Strong, Good shoots, good freekicks, and Hard working...
I see him as a future Juventus regular.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
My question is this.

If he is as good as everyone says that he is, then why isn't he playing more in Nedved's spot in the 4-3-1-2, and giving Neddy a rest once in a while?

I'm assuming of course, that Nedved is playing the 1 in the 4-3-1-2 formation.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm curious, more than anything.

I admit that I haven't seen very much of him, but he has that dreaded "P word" following him around. Potential.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
As much as I hate to say it, he cant carry the potential tag around for long now. He's supposed to be coming of age.

I dont see anything excellent in Maresca. I echo serge's question and would like to point out that often the players that are left out are not left out because of a lack of talent. There very well might be other reasons.

Id like to see him given a chance, if only to confirm his role in the squad and to show us what he is really made of.

Paul im not sure what you mean in regards to the purpose of this thread so forgive me if Im doing something you wouldnt like...- I have a feeling im doing exactly what you dont want me to do haha

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Shadowfax great analysis though I don't agree on all of your points :)

With WBA remember he was just what 17/18 at the time? Sure he might not have done too well, but he gained experienced and most importantly, how many youn ITalian players would have accepted a foreign challenge at such a young age? This guy has guts and I admire that. Just like when he showed his guts by emulating the bull against Torino 2 years ago. Pure genious :D

At 22 he obviously still has to improve but how many Italian or even foreign midfielders at 22 play as regulars for big teams? I consider him a better overall player than Tacchinardi and he will definitely feature in our first team in a year or two.

He'll obviouly play the coppa italia games so we can really analyse him better there. What I like best about him is his technical abilities which in Italy for a midfielder seem to be lacking since most of them are just ball winners like Tacchinardi, Gattuso, Zanetti, etc...

I said it before and I`ll say it again, De Rossi and Maresca will be Italy's central midfielders :)

OP

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    Paul im not sure what you mean in regards to the purpose of this thread so forgive me if Im doing something you wouldnt like...- I have a feeling im doing exactly what you dont want me to do haha
    No not all Lac...

The point of the thread was purely so someone could explain all the hype about maresca as I personally cannot see it.

So no your doing nothing wrong... Jus backing my point if anything

Im jus surprised as every where you look (including this forum) you can find people raving about maresca and howw he must play, the next big thing etc etc... yet when you actually ask .... what makes him so good -- no one actually steps up and explains, rather I get people adding points to my question.

Serge your point was spot on and actually something I have been thinking for a while....

Please someone explain why I am wrong ... Why is Maresca so hyped?? what is it that get you people that rave about him so excited.... Please however many times I see the guy I really cant see whats even slightly special about him...

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    He's one of those players that's more quality than quantity; a player that likes to dribble and when he scores, he scores in a spectacular way rather just easy goals.

People consider that as good entertainment and want to see that more often rather than quantity players who do their duty but rarely anything spectacular (eg Tacchinardi).

Maresca has the qualities and technical abilities that people love; that's why he's hyped, which I think it's fair. Now it's all up to him to express all the qualities he has and which we know he possess.

OP

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Shadowfax great analysis though I don't agree on all of your points :)
    Thank you.. and of course not:D

With WBA remember he was just what 17/18 at the time? Sure he might not have done too well, but he gained experienced and most importantly, how many youn ITalian players would have accepted a foreign challenge at such a young age? This guy has guts and I admire that. Just like when he showed his guts by emulating the bull against Torino 2 years ago. Pure genious :D
    Really I jus threw the WBA bit in as a filler, yes it did indeed take guts.
    As for toro.. personally im not into that , I saw/see it as disrespectful.. ssomething thats important to me on a field of sports.

At 22 he obviously still has to improve but how many Italian or even foreign midfielders at 22 play as regulars for big teams? I consider him a better overall player than Tacchinardi and he will definitely feature in our first team in a year or two.

He'll obviouly play the coppa italia games so we can really analyse him better there. What I like best about him is his technical abilities which in Italy for a midfielder seem to be lacking since most of them are just ball winners like Tacchinardi, Gattuso, Zanetti, etc...

I said it before and I`ll say it again, De Rossi and Maresca will be Italy's central midfielders :)
    We will see about that in time.
    As for better than tacchi... not in this life time, but then they are not really comparable they do very different things.
    Really you should be looking at maresca to either play in the appiah/davids role or as nedveds understudy he is not a true natural dm...Tacchi is

Yes we will see him in the coppa games but this is not really seeing anything as when he does come against the milans etc they will also be b teams... we need to see him against quality oposition in serie a and europe really.. this i think is where he will fail , and to me a big part of that will be his incredible lack of pace.... My mother can move quicker than enzo

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    OK, glenn.

Allow me to play the role of Devil's Advocate here.

What you're saying is that Maresca is more style than substance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Lippi want to see more substance from Maresca before he will let him out on the pitch?

Therefore, if Maresca isn't showing enough of the fundamentals that is needed to play in this system, why would Lippi put him out there and possibly make some potentially costly errors that could cost him a match? So that he could do a pele type of bycicle kick at the end of a 5-0 Juve-Ascoli match? That's not worth the trouble. If Maresca feels that his job is to simply put on a good show, then he's on the wrong team.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Lippi wanted him this year at Juve as he believes in him and his qualities.

I'm not saying he has no substance cos I've seen him win balls not just play them, in fact I do think he's quite good at his defensive duties too.

Shadow I don't think he's actually slow in pace, it's more that he likes to hold on to the ball.

I personally think he's our best passer and his best asset is that he can verticalize immediately and pin point passes to his team mates even if they're very far. He's probably best as a director in midfield, something which Tacchinardi seems to be doing right now, even though he does not posses the passing skills. That's why against Milan when we were losing, Lippi put in Maresca instead of Tacchinardi, cos he was better at launching the strikers than Tacchinardi.

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
    Maresca is a good player, why doesn't he feature more often to rest nedved? well simply becasue the BOOTS of NEDVED are too big to be filled!!! it is very harsh to ask someone like Maresca to fill the boots of Nedved on the field! and if u guys wanna compare maresca to nedved right now i don't think he will ever live up to your expectations!!! that is my opinion after all.

i see talent in maresca, very good passes decent tackles and i believe he can read games properly! i see him as a future starter at juventus and probably a future starter at the azzuri!

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by KeNgO ] ++
    Maresca is a good player, why doesn't he feature more often to rest nedved? well simply becasue the BOOTS of NEDVED are too big to be filled!!! it is very harsh to ask someone like Maresca to fill the boots of Nedved on the field! and if u guys wanna compare maresca to nedved right now i don't think he will ever live up to your expectations!!! that is my opinion after all.

i see talent in maresca, very good passes decent tackles and i believe he can read games properly! i see him as a future starter at juventus and probably a future starter at the azzuri!

That's all well and good.

However, aren't we asking Stephen Appiah to fill the boots of Edgar Davids??

He seems to be doing the Job, I would like to think.

All we are saying is that Maresca should be good enough to take over Nedved's spot in the formation once in a while. You can't possibly expect Nedved to play every game this year,can you?? We'll kill the poor guy by the time the CL finals come around.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    Please someone explain why I am wrong ... Why is Maresca so hyped?? what is it that get you people that rave about him so excited.... Please however many times I see the guy I really cant see whats even slightly special about him...
    Maresca is hyped because he is a very promising Italian playmaker. They don't come around very often, but everyone must take notice when they do. You noted his flashes of brilliance, and that is just the reason why he is hyped. No one seriously thinks that maresca is great now, but they know that if he put together those flashes of brilliance into a solid game, then he'd be amazing. He's done it before, for breif stints, but he's got to play to find his stellar form.

You are right when you say that he is just a solid player, but he's shown in the past, both for Juve and for Piascenza, that he can be much more than that. His "hype" is based upon his potential, and it's not without grounds.

slack

Dec 13, 2002
    It was speculated that the reason he went to WBA was to bypass an Italian football ruling forbidding the signing of professional contracts for players under a certain age? That would render the move more like a loan and his return to Serie A was eventual. In any case, when we signed the man, I remember a WBA fan coming in to congratulate us as well as give very positive feedback on Enzo.

Its all relative - he has more qualities than Tach. Enzo's repertoire/range of passing gives the team a new dimension in building an attack from the back. I've been hoping that we could find someone to function in the role as Sousa did. In terms of basic qualities, I see similarities. Sousa was never the fastest player out there either but his technique and vision (I disagree on Enzo's lack of it on evidence of this season at least) more than made up for it. Of course, him over Tach would definitely compromise the defensive shield in front of the CBs. But if there's any team out there who can compensate for this in terms of coverage, its Juve. Another issue is possession and the problems are 2-fold - Juve has problems keeping it against technical opposition but even when they have it, the central midfield often appear clueless. DP/Nedved, in their 'free-roles' are spending quite a chunk of their time dropping deep to try to solve the problem. Enzo would certainly help in that aspect. Logically, you don't hafta spend as much effort in winning balls back when you can keep it a little longer. Btw, wasn't Tach in a similar situation behind Deschamps and co. in Lippi's earlier years?

Admittedly, I haven't seen as much of Enzo as Shadowfax have. Ideally, I'd like someone to wrest control in the middle of the park and lead as Deschamps was able to but that's also something you have to grow into. Tach hasn't so far and if he couldn't by now, I've serious doubts he ever will. In contrast, since we already have Enzo, I feel we might as well give him a decent run before making a more conclusive judgment. From his limited appearances this season, I thought his impact on the team in effecting a more attacking mentality has been pretty good.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++
    It was speculated that the reason he went to WBA was to bypass an Italian football ruling forbidding the signing of professional contracts for players under a certain age? That would render the move more like a loan and his return to Serie A was eventual. In any case, when we signed the man, I remember a WBA fan coming in to congratulate us as well as give very positive feedback on Enzo.

Its all relative - he has more qualities than Tach. Enzo's repertoire/range of passing gives the team a new dimension in building an attack from the back. I've been hoping that we could find someone to function in the role as Sousa did. In terms of basic qualities, I see similarities. Sousa was never the fastest player out there either but his technique and vision (I disagree on Enzo's lack of it on evidence of this season at least) more than made up for it. Of course, him over Tach would definitely compromise the defensive shield in front of the CBs. But if there's any team out there who can compensate for this in terms of coverage, its Juve. Another issue is possession and the problems are 2-fold - Juve has problems keeping it against technical opposition but even when they have it, the central midfield often appear clueless. DP/Nedved, in their 'free-roles' are spending quite a chunk of their time dropping deep to try to solve the problem. Enzo would certainly help in that aspect. Logically, you don't hafta spend as much effort in winning balls back when you can keep it a little longer. Btw, wasn't Tach in a similar situation behind Deschamps and co. in Lippi's earlier years?

Admittedly, I haven't seen as much of Enzo as Shadowfax have. Ideally, I'd like someone to wrest control in the middle of the park and lead as Deschamps was able to but that's also something you have to grow into. Tach hasn't so far and if he couldn't by now, I've serious doubts he ever will. In contrast, since we already have Enzo, I feel we might as well give him a decent run before making a more conclusive judgment. From his limited appearances this season, I thought his impact on the team in effecting a more attacking mentality has been pretty good.
    Amen.

Like you and zizou said, we must give him a chance..to know ewhat e s capable off. As far i have see, in him, just good passes and great moves, he have missed some pks, but well, he scored one too.
    Sincerely, im very sure that he can be much better than Tachinardi, and right now,, he cant be nedved´s sub.. because is too mch for him... but we can try him in that posistion.

If im not wrong.. he did that in one of the games. but i dont remember which gam. and he did very well. I think that was the game against bologna.

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
    [
    QUOTE]++ [ originally posted by ebraheej ] ++
    He could be the most complete Defensive or center midfielder. He is technicaly gifted, makes good passes, Strong, Good shoots, good freekicks, and Hard working...
    I agree with you. Just give him an opportunity. He is still young, we'll see how he try to be a regular player in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)