Marco Borriello (4 Viewers)

Do you want Borriello to stay, and do you think he will?

• I want him to stay, and I think he will :)

• I hope he leaves, but I think he'll stay :mad:

• I want him to stay, but I think he'll leave :sad:

• I think we'll ship his ass off. Good riddance! :D

• I want him to stay, but at a much lower price

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I don't know how you can say that Quag won't be here next season. I'd say one of Quag, Matri & Borriello won't be here next season, but I can't say which one of them.
I don't buy it that Borriello will be signed as a replacement for Toni, Amauri and Iaquinta. Those three are players we didn't use at all. He's being bought to be part of the 4 strikers that get to play. Pretty obvious that all three of Quag, Borri and Matri will fight for one single place in the starting XI, which is the center of the three men attack, a spot which even Vucinic can cover if needed. Borri's signing is imo a clear sign that Quag is not in Conte's plans. Will Borriello be signed in the summer is not known yet. I guess it will depend on his performances and the opportunities we will get on the market next summer. But Quag is gone, if not now then certainly in the summer.

Gabriel

Killed By Death
May 23, 2010
Why won't Matri go? I think it'll be a horserace between Quag, Matri and Borriello from now to June. It's way to easy to say that Quagliarella is leaving.
Because unlike Quag Matri is actually capable of playing the prima punta role in a 4-3-3 which Quag won't provide, and as Alen pointed out Quag is also unable to play (at least in a desired level) as a winger in a 4-3-3-

So basically you have a realistically good player but don't have any (true) use for him in the team/starting lineup and is not good enough to warrant a tactical setup change to accomodate him, he would also block the signing of a player that IS suited to your formation if he were to stay.

OP
Fake Melo

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
  • Thread Starter #264
    I don't buy it that Borriello will be signed as a replacement for Toni, Amauri and Iaquinta. Those three are players we didn't use at all. He's being bought to be part of the 4 strikers that get to play. Pretty obvious that all three of Quag, Borri and Matri will fight for one single place in the starting XI, which is the center of the three men attack, a spot which even Vucinic can cover if needed. Borri's signing is imo a clear sign that Quag is not in Conte's plans. Will Borriello be signed in the summer is not known yet. I guess it will depend on his performances and the opportunities we will get on the market next summer. But Quag is gone, if not now then certainly in the summer.
    He was gone this January as well.

I still say it's too early to say which one of them will go.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Alen Borriello is here to stay as squad player, this loan stuff isnt fooling anyone. Unless he utterly sucks every game or is severely injured.

Gabriel

Killed By Death
    May 23, 2010
    He was gone this January as well.

I still say it's too early to say which one of them will go.
    Wasn't he badly injured? Surely no club would buy a player with such a bad injury in january.

Edit: Ah, I thought you were referring to last season's january, he might aswell be sold this month too, should a solid offer arrive.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    You're being way too limited in understanding their roles on the field. What you're talking about is the old fashioned system put on paper. You must have noticed by now how the game has changed.
    It has been for decades this way and i wont change my mind because of Pep, i dont even consider hum a coach, unless he prooves himself with inferior players.Conte or anyone else trying to imitate those tactics are destined to fail, because Pep;s players are so much better, that can deliver anyways...
    Except me, 90% of the Italian coaches still share the same concepts.
    And at any case, the need to create and score a goal are still there, regardless of the tactical choices and we must not lack the tools for it. I dont want to see us implying the usual old tactics, but i want us to have the natural options open.

Anyway, Pepe was never called a SS, lets not put words into peoples mouths. He was called an attacking player and part of the front three in Conte's 4-3-3 system, which isn't a 4-5-1 as you call it since both Pepe and especially Vucinic are almost never in the same line with the central midfielders. Pepe is a forward in Conte's system simply because he plays there. And yes, he's supporting the central forward up front so technically you can call him a SS, but in the actual understanding of the SS role, he definitely isn't one.
    They are never at Matris line either, so that goes both ways, but just like i said they spend most of their time closer to the midfield, rather than the opposition box.
    Pepe being a winger tends to start deeper, Vucinic being a forward tends to penetrate deeper.
    They cant have the same roles, because they are different kinds of players and this causes an asymmetry.
    Call them what you want, but they are different and it doesnt matter what we put them to do, their footballistic characteristics will prevail on the fields they are good at, thus resulting at not being as good on a specific asked role and the inevitable loss of their loss of optimal performance, according to their potential, because of that. (ex Pepe cant score what most of the SSs would and Vucinic cant defend as most of the wingers could)
    This is a natural result for every player, being played out of position. Sometimes, those small individual compromises work well for the common good, as its our case, but if you have quite the dedicated tool for the right job, you can optimize the performance.
    IMO wingers fielded as SSs in a 4-3-3 will cause finishing issues.
    I ve always believed that and i see it happening every time we play... so this not just my impression and according to my logic the finishing will improve if you replace the winger with a SS who is able to score and Quaqs is just that!

As for Quag and the other forwards you mentioned....yes, he's playing the same role as them, just that he wasn't blessed with the goalscoring instinct as they are. He always goes for the goal and rarely, almost never, for the pass. He can't do much playmaking either and he definitely can't function from the wing and cut inside. His instinc will push him to the center of the box and we will lose width since he won't go back to the wing when needed. He has more characteristics of a CF than SS. Naturally, he can play in a forward duo with a less mobile and taller striker, but again he will play as a typical CF there.
    Quaqs adapts to the teams needs because he is versatile, so does DP, DP can play as a straight CF if he is paired with a SS like Quaqs and a SS if he is paired with a CF like Treze.
    Such gifted players maximize our performances and can fit into many schemes/roles.
    This is why imo Quaq>Vucinic, Quaq can both create/support and score, but Vucinic is a terrible finisher.
    He must be always paired with a finisher.
    So i agree that Quaq can replace Matri but i disagree that he cant be paired with him.
    You just underestimate his supporting capabilities.
    And serving isnt everything, off the ball runs and creating havoc to make space elsewhere is.

To make it shorter: Yes, in our formation Quagliarella is a direct replacement for Matri and he'll do the best if he plays instead of Matri while he'll struggle if he plays instead of Vucinic and Pepe. He can play together with Matri of course, but to get the best out of him there, you'll need to take out one of the CMs, take Vucinic out and change the formation, by adding a winger.

To make it clear for you, these are the 10 goals he scored for Juve. Maybe they'll tell you more.

01. Sampdoria 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
    02. Udinese 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
    03. Lecce 4-4-2 (Quag-Amauri)
    04. Milan 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
    05. Cesena 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
    06. Brescia 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
    07. Catania 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
    08. Catania 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
    09. Chievo 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
    10. Novara 4-3-3 (Esti-Quag-Pepe)
    In these goals we have 2 versatile forwards combing and doing great things, the aim for both is to score, why? because they both can and they help each other by creating a multidimensional front.
    If one cannot score, like the goal waster Vucinic, he can only provide support and thus only by judged for that. BTW how many assist Vucinic had so far?

So as Vucinic, DP, Giacche and Quaqs can all work with a CF like Matri (who is also, imo versatile enough himself, as he can create and support, at least as good as he scores)
    They can all co-exist and as they are versatile enough to adapt to our needs and focus were we need them, they could maximize their performance.
    Ex Vucinic avoid tryind to score and focus at what he does best.
    Matri mostly have an eye to score, but share that role with Quaq, so that it will be harder for the opposition to stop them simultaneously. And finally Quaqs, offering in the box what Pepe is trying hard but mostly cant offer.
    Imagine having Quaqs taking all those shots Pepe wastes!

PS: I m telling you Allen, such a 4-3-3 would be an overkill and after they develop a teamwork, unstoppable.
    It would also boost our need for another CF (Boriello) and more CMs (Pizarro, Montolivo) still offer more playing chances for DP and make Krasic and Elia totally unneeded.
    Just make an effort to envision it!

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Too bad though. I rate him and I feel comfortable when he plays or comes in to replace a forward. He carries that surprise factor and he's able to score goals out of nowhere. He's pretty mobile and seems better suited for our play than a less mobile forward is. We're not playing those long balls which require a strong physique up front.
    But there must be something important which my amateur eye can't see for Conte to push for a stronger guy in the center and there must be something that makes Quag unsuitable for Conte's tactics.
    I do hope there is because I don't want to replace Quagliarella with fucking Borriello and it looks like we will. So better Conte to be proven right than us here.
    The main difference, I'd say, between Quagliarella and Matri and Borriello is that Quagliarella's movement tends to be to drop off - moving towards the midfield to get the ball and get involved in the play. While each do it differently, Matri and Borriello are both more inclined to move away from the ball and stretch the game (Borriello more a fixed target and Matri running into the channels).

If Conte trusts his three midfielders, as he ought to, I wouldn't blame him for focusing on a CF who opens up space rather than one who tends to drop into what is already a pretty congested area of the pitch (now that Juve are playing three in midfield, rather than two).

Still, I rather like that Quagliarella offers something different.

Or maybe Juve just plain don't trust Quagliarella's fitness.

OP
    Fake Melo

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
    Sep 3, 2010
  • Thread Starter #271
    Wasn't he badly injured? Surely no club would buy a player with such a bad injury in january.

Edit: Ah, I thought you were referring to last season's january, he might aswell be sold this month too, should a solid offer arrive.
    He might as well be :D
    You're talking as if it's February already and we kept Quag in the team. It's January 1st, the window opened today :D If a decent offer comes, he's gonna be sold this month.
    Conte spoke about this, he said he's been busy getting Quag ready for 5 months now, for what? Selling him in January and strengthening our rivals? "I must have stupid written on my forehead"

That good offer has to be very good for Quag to be sold in January IMO. Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

Gabriel

Killed By Death
    May 23, 2010
    It has been for decades this way and i wont change my mind because of Pep, i dont even consider hum a coach, unless he prooves himself with inferior players.Conte or anyone else trying to imitate those tactics are destined to fail, because Pep;s players are so much better, that can deliver anyways...
    Except me, 90% of the Italian coaches still share the same concepts.
    And at any case, the need to create and score a goal are still there, regardless of the tactical choices and we must not lack the tools for it. I dont want to see us implying the usual old tactics, but i want us to have the natural options open.

They are never at Matris line either, so that goes both ways, but just like i said they spend most of their time closer to the midfield, rather than the opposition box.
    Pepe being a winger tends to start deeper, Vucinic being a forward tends to penetrate deeper.
    They cant have the same roles, because they are different kinds of players and this causes an asymmetry.
    Call them what you want, but they are different and it doesnt matter what we put them to do, their footballistic characteristics will prevail on the fields they are good at, thus resulting at not being as good on a specific asked role and the inevitable loss of their loss of optimal performance, according to their potential, because of that. (ex Pepe cant score what most of the SSs would and Vucinic cant defend as most of the wingers could)
    This is a natural result for every player, being played out of position. Sometimes, those small individual compromises work well for the common good, as its our case, but if you have quite the dedicated tool for the right job, you can optimize the performance.
    IMO wingers fielded as SSs in a 4-3-3 will cause finishing issues.
    I ve always believed that and i see it happening every time we play... so this not just my impression and according to my logic the finishing will improve if you replace the winger with a SS who is able to score and Quaqs is just that!

Quaqs adapts to the teams needs because he is versatile, so does DP, DP can play as a straight CF if he is paired with a SS like Quaqs and a SS if he is paired with a CF like Treze.
    Such gifted players maximize our performances and can fit into many schemes/roles.
    This is why imo Quaq>Vucinic, Quaq can both create/support and score, but Vucinic is a terrible finisher.
    He must be always paired with a finisher.
    So i agree that Quaq can replace Matri but i disagree that he cant be paired with him.
    You just underestimate his supporting capabilities.
    And serving isnt everything, off the ball runs and creating havoc to make space elsewhere is.

In these goals we have 2 versatile forwards combing and doing great things, the aim for both is to score, why? because they both can and they help each other by creating a multidimensional front.
    If one cannot score, like the goal waster Vucinic, he can only provide support and thus only by judged for that. BTW how many assist Vucinic had so far?

So as Vucinic, DP, Giacche and Quaqs can all work with a CF like Matri (who is also, imo versatile enough himself, as he can create and support, at least as good as he scores)
    They can all co-exist and as they are versatile enough to adapt to our needs and focus were we need them, they could maximize their performance.
    Ex Vucinic avoid tryind to score and focus at what he does best.
    Matri mostly have an eye to score, but share that role with Quaq, so that it will be harder for the opposition to stop them simultaneously. And finally Quaqs, offering in the box what Pepe is trying hard but mostly cant offer.
    Imagine having Quaqs taking all those shots Pepe wastes!
    Pep IS a coach and he did NOT invent 4-3-3, he also succeded with Barcelona B and while I agree that he's had the best players in the bussiness you still need to be a competent coach in order for the team to succeed. 2007-2008 Barcelona comes to mind, all amazing players but chocked hard, Rijkaard had lost the plot.

Quagliarella is not 1/4 as talented as Del Piero was in his heyday and does not provide the kind of quality DP used to, which guaranteed him success in whatever forward position he was deployed. Most of Quags creations are wondergoals done by himself but I fully he believe he doesn't have that killer eye for a pass/assist like DP and other players have.

He's not good enough to keep hold of a starting place at a top team that uses 4-3-3, he's a jack of all trades master of none type of players. He won't score 20+goals a season (hell, not even 15+) and won't assist 10+ goals a season.

He may be skilled and move around very well but you get to the point when you gotta ask yourself wether that is enough for a scudetto/CL football aspiring team.

He's also what? 28? at this age there's not much of a chance that he'll get much better than he is and with that latest injury added to his injury record this might be one of the last chances that you'll have to get a decent sum out of him. He might aswell end up permanently injured like Iaquinta as age catches on with his body.

By keeping Quag you're blocking yourself out of the possibility of getting a player better suited for your tactics and can provide more to the team than Quag.

That's of course, unless you want to keep stacking on attacking players and continue whining like you always do and enjoy. :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    It has been for decades this way and i wont change my mind because of Pep, i dont even consider hum a coach, unless he prooves himself with inferior players.
    What do you call Mourinho's tactics when he won CL in 2010? It was presented as 4-2-3-1, while looking at what Pandev and Eto'o were doing on the pitch, it was more like 4-2-2-1-1
    Cesar
    Maicon-Lucio-Samuel-Zanetti
    Motta-Cambiasso
    Pandev-------------------Eto'o
    Sneijder
    Milito​

If you don't consider Pepe as an attacker in Conte's formation, will you not consider Eto'o and Pandev as wingers in Mourinho's formation? If Eto'o wasn't playing as a winger, why did he score like 3 times less than he scores usual and why did he complain like mad and said that he was a defender (or a fullback) in Mourinho's time?

So now we have Guardiola and Mourinho, the two coaches which won the last two CLs with pretty unortodox tactics, or by placing players where they don't really belong according to what "has been there for decades", as you put it.
    And Mourinho is using your "typical SS Benzema" as a lone striker for Real.

In any case, I would love to have Robben playing there instead of Pepsi, but if he does, he will be given the same tasks that Pepe is given. Just that Robben will do things 100 times better. Both will be forwards in a 4-3-3, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)