Marco Borriello (8 Viewers)

Do you want Borriello to stay, and do you think he will?

• I want him to stay, and I think he will :)

• I hope he leaves, but I think he'll stay :mad:

• I want him to stay, but I think he'll leave :sad:

• I think we'll ship his ass off. Good riddance! :D

• I want him to stay, but at a much lower price

Results are only viewable after voting.

Joga Bonito

Jul 28, 2010
Looks good technical and looks stronger than Matri. He might be better to use as CF than quag and matri, who both arent that physical strong and both havn't been as sharp as last season.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Quag keeps proving that he's a CF. It's perfectly obvious that in this Juve he's fighting with Matri for a starting spot, not with Vucinic. Having both Quag and Matri at the same time will result with more matches like the one in Udinese, when we begged for pure talent and a bit of brains.
So, even if we started Quag this season, which he indeed deserved last year, it should have been at the expense of Matri. We were gonna be a good number of points behind Milan if we had a Quag-Matri-Pepe trio up front and Marchisio would have had some 1-2 goals instead of 6. Yeah, we were gonna concede some 2-3 goals less. Or 2-3 more if Chiellini partnered Vidic and kept playing the way he did as a CB at the start of the year.
Like it or not, Vucinic was needed to this team and will be needed even more if we make CL next year. He, Pirlo and Del Piero are the only ones who proved to have the required quality to outperform Europe's best teams and players. All the Quags, Matris and Borriellos that we have will never come close to that, even if they keep scoring more in serie A than Mirko, Pirlo and Del Piero.
So consider Pepe a SS and Quaq a CF and what a forward like Treze, Vieri, Etoo, Toni and Klose are then?
Taget men who dont create much, but score a bunch of goals and are usually fielded as target man.
This is the type of forwards we are lacking and i believe that every team needs at least one fielded at any given time.
Ideally, he can also create chances by himself like Drogba and Zlatan, but without compromising his primary function.

We also need someone to create chances and serve him with opportunities, (pretty much every forward we have except Toni can do that) having only CFs who cant create and our offense will be cut off and isolated.
Having only creators, we would have far too many wasted opportunities, as we do now.
Ideally our SS can also score lie DP, so that our offense becomes multidimensional.

Ours now is somewhat unbalanced, as we have a winger, Vucinic who is a goal waster and Matri, who is solely targeted as the only actual danger, but imo is a forward who works better when he is underestimated and not considered the primary threat.

Quaqs was not given the time to adapt into this new scheme and the other wingers simply cannot do forwards job imo, thats why there is the faulty impression of struggling without Vucinic.

There are many option, but fielding the three off them is fap worthy imo.
A finisher could combine with any of our current options, even Matri and improve our overall chance/finishing ratio.
A SS with great scoring chances too (Benzema,Messi) but a Boriello offers nothing new...

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
So consider Pepe a SS and Quaq a CF and what a forward like Treze, Vieri, Etoo, Toni and Klose are then?
You're being way too limited in understanding their roles on the field. What you're talking about is the old fashioned system put on paper. You must have noticed by now how the game has changed.
Anyway, Pepe was never called a SS, lets not put words into peoples mouths. He was called an attacking player and part of the front three in Conte's 4-3-3 system, which isn't a 4-5-1 as you call it since both Pepe and especially Vucinic are almost never in the same line with the central midfielders. Pepe is a forward in Conte's system simply because he plays there. And yes, he's supporting the central forward up front so technically you can call him a SS, but in the actual understanding of the SS role, he definitely isn't one.
As for Quag and the other forwards you mentioned....yes, he's playing the same role as them, just that he wasn't blessed with the goalscoring instinct as they are. He always goes for the goal and rarely, almost never, for the pass. He can't do much playmaking either and he definitely can't function from the wing and cut inside. His instinc will push him to the center of the box and we will lose width since he won't go back to the wing when needed. He has more characteristics of a CF than SS. Naturally, he can play in a forward duo with a less mobile and taller striker, but again he will play as a typical CF there.

To make it shorter: Yes, in our formation Quagliarella is a direct replacement for Matri and he'll do the best if he plays instead of Matri while he'll struggle if he plays instead of Vucinic and Pepe. He can play together with Matri of course, but to get the best out of him there, you'll need to take out one of the CMs, take Vucinic out and change the formation, by adding a winger.

To make it clear for you, these are the 10 goals he scored for Juve. Maybe they'll tell you more.

01. Sampdoria 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
02. Udinese 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
03. Lecce 4-4-2 (Quag-Amauri)
04. Milan 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
05. Cesena 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
06. Brescia 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
07. Catania 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
08. Catania 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
09. Chievo 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
10. Novara 4-3-3 (Esti-Quag-Pepe)

Oh, and in 30 matches for Juventus he made 2 assists. Not really good for what you consider to be a support striker, isn't it? One of the assists wasn't even an assist because he was shooting on goal and accidentally hit Pepe. That was last year's match against Sampdoria.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You're being way too limited in understanding their roles on the field. What you're talking about is the old fashioned system put on paper. You must have noticed by now how the game has changed.
Anyway, Pepe was never called a SS, lets not put words into peoples mouths. He was called an attacking player and part of the front three in Conte's 4-3-3 system, which isn't a 4-5-1 as you call it since both Pepe and especially Vucinic are almost never in the same line with the central midfielders. Pepe is a forward in Conte's system simply because he plays there. And yes, he's supporting the central forward up front so technically you can call him a SS, but in the actual understanding of the SS role, he definitely isn't one.
As for Quag and the other forwards you mentioned....yes, he's playing the same role as them, just that he wasn't blessed with the goalscoring instinct as they are. He always goes for the goal and rarely, almost never, for the pass. He can't do much playmaking either and he definitely can't function from the wing and cut inside. His instinc will push him to the center of the box and we will lose width since he won't go back to the wing when needed. He has more characteristics of a CF than SS. Naturally, he can play in a forward duo with a less mobile and taller striker, but again he will play as a typical CF there.

To make it shorter: Yes, in our formation Quagliarella is a direct replacement for Matri and he'll do the best if he plays instead of Matri while he'll struggle if he plays instead of Vucinic and Pepe. He can play together with Matri of course, but to get the best out of him there, you'll need to take out one of the CMs, take Vucinic out and change the formation, by adding a winger.

To make it clear for you, these are the 10 goals he scored for Juve. Maybe they'll tell you more.

01. Sampdoria 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
02. Udinese 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
03. Lecce 4-4-2 (Quag-Amauri)
04. Milan 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
05. Cesena 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
06. Brescia 4-4-2 (Quag-Del Piero)
07. Catania 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
08. Catania 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
09. Chievo 4-4-2 (Quag-Iaquinta)
10. Novara 4-3-3 (Esti-Quag-Pepe)

Oh, and in 30 matches for Juventus he made 2 assists. Not really good for what you consider to be a support striker, isn't it? One of the assists wasn't even an assist because he was shooting on goal and accidentally hit Pepe. That was last year's match against Sampdoria.
:tup:

Quag wont be here next season.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
:tup:

Quag wont be here next season.
Too bad though. I rate him and I feel comfortable when he plays or comes in to replace a forward. He carries that surprise factor and he's able to score goals out of nowhere. He's pretty mobile and seems better suited for our play than a less mobile forward is. We're not playing those long balls which require a strong physique up front.
But there must be something important which my amateur eye can't see for Conte to push for a stronger guy in the center and there must be something that makes Quag unsuitable for Conte's tactics.
I do hope there is because I don't want to replace Quagliarella with fucking Borriello and it looks like we will. So better Conte to be proven right than us here.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I like him too (as backup), his mobility. But its the same reason he wasnt working for Udinese really. He neither has the physical presence to play as CF in a 4-3-3, nor is creative or individualistic enough to play as wingforward. Bit lost inbetween that kinda makes it hard to pin him down to a proper use.

OP
Fake Melo

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
  • Thread Starter #257
    I don't know how you can say that Quag won't be here next season. I'd say one of Quag, Matri & Borriello won't be here next season, but I can't say which one of them.

Everyone said Quag will leave this summer, or leave this January. He is still here.

Gabriel

Killed By Death
    May 23, 2010
    I don't know how you can say that Quag won't be here next season. I'd say one of Quag, Matri & Borriello won't be here next season, but I can't say which one of them.
    Matri won't go, and If you're to keep Merdello then Quagdgdgf will surely go.

He also would command a higher transfer fee that what Juve would pay for Borrielo so i'm guessing that's marotta's line of thinking towards signing/keeping Borrielo.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I defenitely hope Borriello is NOT here next season, I KNOW Matri will be here next season (unlikely we will get big offer for him, nor buy a star attacker to replace him with), very doubtful Quag will be (its not entirely sure yet if he will remain this January to begin with). Its unfortunate, but Quagmire's days with us are numbered.

OP
    Fake Melo

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
    Sep 3, 2010
  • Thread Starter #260
    Matri won't go, and If you're to keep Merdello then Quagdgdgf will surely go.

He also would command a higher transfer fee that what Juve would pay for Borrielo so i'm guessing that's marotta's line of thinking towards signing/keeping Borrielo.
    Why won't Matri go? I think it'll be a horserace between Quag, Matri and Borriello from now to June. It's way to easy to say that Quagliarella is leaving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)