Marcelo Vieira - LB - Real Madrid (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
Marcelo is by far the best LB in the game. The guy is brilliant and has been brilliant ever since he joined Madrid.
how old is he and how hungry is he to win CL ?

our average age is getting older in our team. we want young top quality ambitious players with stars like ronaldo and a coach who knows how to maximize the potential.
but also you don't buy all these old players with all these money.

i don't mind getting Marcelo but if he is cheap at least. pay this money on a world class midfielder or 2 instead of this horror show we have in our midfield.
its priority questions.

- - - Updated - - -

complaining about Marcelo age when he is actually only 2 years older than Sandro :ghey:

I'm sure people here would have preferred Pjanic to 32 years old Pirlo back then because he was much younger.
no
I would take Pirlo now over Pjanic.

pjanic has Roma Psg maximum level written all over his face. the guy is not a CL winning material.

Jul 13, 2010
there was a stats somewhere that real has better results without him playing. but then again, that team was crushed by ajax without him

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Before this season Marcelo was consensus best LB right? More or less I think. It's hard to tell if his dip in form is because of his team, decline or just lack of motivation. I don't see his attacking skill declining. In that respect he reminds me of Alves where if you have a lot of possession, you can count on this guy supplying something.

If you are relying on this guy to defend then you're going to have a bad time. But what big team is really hoping their LB defends everyone? They are hoping to have the ball.

If we are planning a huge mercato, a big coaching change and a really, really serious team next year, then I would swap this guy in for Alex Sandro. I think we can come out +/- around even in that scenario, money wise (wages would be higher).

If we are just going to buy Marcelo and swap around the deck chairs in midfield, then I would pass.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Before this season Marcelo was consensus best LB right? More or less I think. It's hard to tell if his dip in form is because of his team, decline or just lack of motivation. I don't see his attacking skill declining. In that respect he reminds me of Alves where if you have a lot of possession, you can count on this guy supplying something.

If you are relying on this guy to defend then you're going to have a bad time. But what big team is really hoping their LB defends everyone? They are hoping to have the ball.

If we are planning a huge mercato, a big coaching change and a really, really serious team next year, then I would swap this guy in for Alex Sandro. I think we can come out +/- around even in that scenario, money wise (wages would be higher).

If we are just going to buy Marcelo and swap around the deck chairs in midfield, then I would pass.
Even if you don't want your LB to focus on defence entirely, you do need him to at least track back. The problem with Marcelo is that he leaves tons of space behind him and he's not the quickest to track back once the opposition has the ball. Alves, for example, was better at that.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
He's so fucking brilliant that he isn't even starting for Real Madrid. Moreover, 50% they conceded this season have came from his side. He is finished. Dude got benched by Reguillon.
lol he has been by far the best left back for like a decade. This season he hasn't impressed but that doesn't mean he's bad nor that he's past it. It's not like Sandro is farting rainbows himself. What Marcelo has been doing in Madrid is fucking insane. Not only I'm sure he'd impress here but imo it'd be one of the biggest moves in the Europe in the summer. Sure, we've got issues like mid to cover, but if we're losing Sandro then getting Marcelo is the best option as he'd easily pull 3-4 more seasons in Serie A. This ain't youtube and we need winners and not unproven kids. He's not quite young but he's not old either (at least nowadays).

Apr 29, 2006
Both Marcelo and AS have been underwhelming this season. AS has the excuse of almost no rotation, Marcelo doesn't. I am not too keen on either atm, although I hope having a better offensive partner than Matuidi(anyone, basically) would 'cure' AS as he has more years in front of him. Let us not forget that Marcelo has the likes of Kroos to build up the attack.

The real problem I see - not a lot of better options.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
This is the type of transfer Milan were making in their prime years and which eventually led to their downfall after amassing a squad full of past it veterans, not suggesting we're going in the same direction but it certainly would be a worrying sign if we splash huge sums of money on another player on the wrong side of 30. A huge NO to this transfer. I am still fairly confident these are just old rehashed rumours from last year.

We need to follow the direction of other big teams and invest big sums on younger stars instead. For example, I would invest 80M on De Ligt than 40M with huge wages on Marcelo.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Marcelo is only 3 years older that AS right? Age shouldnt be an argument here. The issue are wages as Marcelo reportedly would get too much. But on ~same wages and if we can get Marcelo for ~30M while we sell AS for some 70-80M, you do that

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018
lol he has been by far the best left back for like a decade. This season he hasn't impressed but that doesn't mean he's bad nor that he's past it. It's not like Sandro is farting rainbows himself. What Marcelo has been doing in Madrid is fucking insane. Not only I'm sure he'd impress here but imo it'd be one of the biggest moves in the Europe in the summer. Sure, we've got issues like mid to cover, but if we're losing Sandro then getting Marcelo is the best option as he'd easily pull 3-4 more seasons in Serie A. This ain't youtube and we need winners and not unproven kids. He's not quite young but he's not old either (at least nowadays).
That'd be an OK scenario but only if Juventus is losing Sandro, but i see no point in selling him just to get Marcelo. That'd be stupid AF.

Liviu

Jan 10, 2015
We need to follow the direction of other big teams and invest big sums on younger stars instead. For example, I would invest 80M on De Ligt than 40M with huge wages on Marcelo.
That ship has sailed when we got a 33 yo Ronaldo for 100 something mil. De Ligt could be the best next CB but having Marcelo now instead of Sandro would help the team more than having De Ligt in the squad. I agree with your philosophy, it's healthy, but since Ronaldo, it's mostly about short term planning, needing proven WC players.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
Marcelo is only 3 years older that AS right? Age shouldnt be an argument here. The issue are wages as Marcelo reportedly would get too much. But on ~same wages and if we can get Marcelo for ~30M while we sell AS for some 70-80M, you do that
Only three years? Thats s lot in football terms. I am Marcelos biggest fan, the dude is without doubt the best LB in the world in the last 10 years, but this transfer is a big no for me.
Having all this 30 years + players on hugh wages, with little to no sell on value, are going to break us financially if we keep going.
We should bring in a young too prospect CB and CM this summer, get ride of a couple of players, and close the mercato.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Only three years? Thats s lot in football terms. I am Marcelos biggest fan, the dude is without doubt the best LB in the world in the last 10 years, but this transfer is a big no for me.
Having all this 30 years + players on hugh wages, with little to no sell on value, are going to break us financially if we keep going.
We should bring in a young too prospect CB and CM this summer, get ride of a couple of players, and close the mercato.
Marcelo is good for another 2-3 years and we have Spinazzola. if hes cheaper than what we can get for AS then we do it, invest the money in a CM and wait for the next Cancelo like opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)