Mac vs PC (1 Viewer)

Dorgz

Jan 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Dell Dimension 8200 1.8GHz P4 w/512MB RAM, 40GB/5400 RPM hard drive, Windows XP Professional. In 2001, this was among the speedier desktops; now, a 1.8GHz Pentium 4-equipped desktop is an entry-level machine in most manufacturer's lineups.

And ironically the modest little Pc laptop kicks the crap out of state of the art dual processor Macs.. :D
Isn't the Dell a PC? :confused:

Anyway the playing feild is not fair as one of the forum members suggested, as the software favours the PC's in this type of work. I am in the Graphic industry and NOBODY uses PC's! :angel:

Dorgz

Jan 9, 2003
"I console myself that when batch processing raw files I still have time for a coffee"

SeanS
Member # 4662

:D

We use a PC for processing raw files though I have to be honest... :down:

Dorgz

Jan 9, 2003
mel hill photography
Member # 1214
posted January 08, 2003 07:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pardon the expression but his test is apples to oranges....
I'd like to see the test run with SW that's been designed FOR the Mac, not SW that's designed for PC then adapted to the Mac OS. We have all complaints about how slow many of the Mac versions of RAW conversion SW are so what were we to expect from this so called head to head contest.. Maybe (and I'm only wishing here...) somebody (Adobe) will write a RAW conversion program (coming to a computer near you soon!) specifically for the Mac and then we can have a (more) fair test of the systems and their abilities
to decipher RAW formats. A friend of mine compared the test Rob did to testing a PC vs. a Mac running a PC emulator and then running the conversion SW, because that about what a Mac is doing with the current SW we’re stuck with...
This post is more about the crappy SW we are stuck with at the moment and less about Rob’s
Test. I’m sure he put a lot of time into his procedures,. Thanks Rob...
I just wish the playing field was level....
Ceyabymel

:D:devil::angel:

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #25
    ++ [ originally posted by Dorgz ] ++
    Isn't the Dell a PC? :confused:

Anyway the playing feild is not fair as one of the forum members suggested, as the software favours the PC's in this type of work. I am in the Graphic industry and NOBODY uses PC's! :angel:
    Maybe it was laptop vs laptop and desktop vs desktop. I got the article from another one so I didn't really look at it :D

Favors the PC? Photoshop does?

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    That was interesting stuff but will there be a clear winner.
    Now it is the PC next will be the Mac then the PC ...... and so on so forth.
    But it's amazing how people can ascribe to something blindly.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I followed that discussion right into their forum and boy oh! boy objectivity is a hard trait to find in men.

Informative on raw processing of photographs though :thumb:

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    Can't believe I haven't notived this thread before...

I work with both Mac and PC everyday. I like 'em both.

Macs are superior when working with graphics, and thats what I do day in and day out... so believe me.

PC on the other hand is superior in everything else... there's so many things you can't do on a mac. Just to bad that the PC world is dominated by Bill Gates and his screwed up products :groan:

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    This comparison is unrealistic... it only looks at one aspect.

If pc's are so great why is it that nigh on every video editing company on the planet uses macs.

I would never edit on a pc they jus cant cope with it.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages.
    In my work it can be nothing but a mac but at home i use only a pc.
    Different tasks ,diferent systems!

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    Sorry... I meant to say, a PC is superior in everything else that I use. Hopefully I will find some new stuff where the Mac is better, cuz i I really like the machine... and the best thing about it... no windows or other microsoft products on it (unless you have installed it of course)

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #36
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
    and the best thing about it... no windows or other microsoft products on it (unless you have installed it of course)
    Best thing about PC? No Apple garbage on it :p

Btw get rid of proprietary junk running Linux on both PC and Mac ;)

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    You lost me now.. "their forum"?
    At the bottom of the article there is a link to their Forum where a discussion on the article takes place.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #38

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)