Mac vs PC (1 Viewer)

Reza

Jul 13, 2002
i didn't read the whole article ,all i know is that there is lots of things to say about benefit of Mac .

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4
    Basically the article is a test of one laptop PC:
    Alienware Area-51m 3.06GHz P4 w/1GB RAM, 40GB/5400 RPM hard drive, Windows XP Professional.

to counter 3 Macs:
    Apple Macintosh Power Mac G4 1.25GHz (dual processors) w/1GB RAM, 120GB/7200 RPM hard drive, OS X 10.2.3. This is the fastest shipping Mac as I write this.

Apple Macintosh Powerbook G4/800MHz w/1GB RAM, 60GB/5400 RPM hard drive, OS X 10.2.3. Prior to November 2002, this was the fastest Powerbook, and it remains one of the best-equipped laptops of its size.

Dell Dimension 8200 1.8GHz P4 w/512MB RAM, 40GB/5400 RPM hard drive, Windows XP Professional. In 2001, this was among the speedier desktops; now, a 1.8GHz Pentium 4-equipped desktop is an entry-level machine in most manufacturer's lineups.

And ironically the modest little Pc laptop kicks the crap out of state of the art dual processor Macs.. :D

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    I've got to say though, Mac has some amazing graphical capabilities. Have you seen those wide screen monitors they sell? Breathtaking.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    Nope, you have to look around a bit to find a place that sells Macs in this small town..

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple fan. But some of thier displays are amazing (pis don't do them justice)

Take this one for example. 23 inch (58 cm), 1920 x 1200 resolution, LCD screen with 2.3 million pixels. The monitor is breathtaking when you see in in real life....

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #8
    Looks nice. Apple are not all bad on design without giving the impression they are absolutely amazing as some Maccies will have it ;)

Speaking of LCD, what's your stand? At first I was impressed but I'm not so crazy about them due to the problem of viewing the screen from an angle. So a total no go for tv IMO. But even computer monitors are annyoing that way, you don't sit in the exact same position all the time and you'll have to tilt the screen every time you shift...

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    alex, lol @ ur sig :D

btw i was shocked when i read that apollo 440's apollo control studio's computers are BOTH macs.

is it true that macs are more stable or something? personally they annoy the hell out of me. i dont know why- are they apple-pie american??

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    Apples are more stable then Win 3.1/95/98/ME. But I have been using Win 2000 and then XP for a few months now and I have not had my computer crash once, despite the fact I leave it on all the time. Windows XP is virtually 100% stable. Once in a while, a program will crash but you can press ctrl+alt+del and end the task in a manner of seconds. Then you can reopen the program without restarting or anything.

Once I actually had to shut it down from the ctrl+alt+del screen, but it still shut down fine and i didn't notice any ill effects.

As for LCD, I don't love them but they are very nice. It would be perfect for me because I am at school and don't have a lot of room. This NEC Flatscreen monitor I have now is wonderful, it has a beautiful picture but its very big and very heavy. It takes up a lot of space on my desk and is difficult to bring home/take to school.

I hear the LCDs have difficulty with games that have in depth graphics, the color cant change fast enough and the graphics don't look good.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    One should mention stability depends a lot on hardware. Macs are known to be stable but in most cases the hardware is solid (by that noticeably more expensive). Whereas PCs come in so many shapes and variations you have to know what is in there to get an idea of what kind of stability you can expect from the system.

XP has crashed on me occassionally (nothing like 98 though) but I have a strong suspicion it's down to hardware problems.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    Probably, I remember reading an article on CNET saying they were running XP in all thier office computers and it only crashed once in 6 months.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
    Probably, I remember reading an article on CNET saying they were running XP in all thier office computers and it only crashed once in 6 months.
    but still...nothing beats the eccentricity of a mac, and the psychotic nature it unleashes upon its users- its like artificially induced PMS or something....

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    Not to discredit your US gentlemen, Matt. But Pele says a lot of things and not all people take him seriously.. asked for an interview few minutes before the WC final in 98 on Norwegian tv, he said he was very impressed with Norway (they beat Brazil in the first round) and that the type of game Norway played is the type everyone likes... :D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #18
    I wasn't going to say anything but as I see you are planning to ride it out to WC06 I thought enough is enough.. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)