Luis Suárez (21 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think, by myself included, X's posts are being misinterpreted as defending Suarez's actions. It seems more so that you're trying to suggest there is something flawed with the value system of FIFA if they consider this worse than intentional violent behaviour on the pitch that can (and in the past, has) end a career or cripple someone?

This cannot really be argued.

However, I would say that it is more a case of FIFA finally getting a punishment right in terms of strictness, and we should ignore its correlation to other actions and behaviours. Look at it as its own specific form of behaviour, and punish accordingly, which it seems they did. And now they need to work towards dealing with actual injurious violence on the pitch in a proper fashion.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Moral relativism is a slippery slope. I understand why people attempt to do so, but we have to accept that the public is willing to tolerate a malicious elbow in the sport more than players biting other players. It's not so much a question of pain scale, disability, etc.

Welcome to the world of social mores. They ain't right or wrong, they just are.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Moral relativism is a slippery slope. I understand why people attempt to do so, but we have to accept that the public is willing to tolerate a malicious elbow in the sport more than players biting other players. It's not so much a question of pain scale, disability, etc.

:tup:

Good point.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009

Different morals when it comes to South America right, Deneb :D

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
My younger kid (2 years and 3 months) used to bite his older brother around half a year ago when he used to get angry at him and didn't have the words to express himself. It's been now a couple of months that he hasn't done it yet. Suarez is still younger than a 2 year old.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
My younger kid (2 years and 3 months) used to bite his older brother around half a year ago when he used to get angry at him and didn't have the words to express himself. It's been now a couple of months that he hasn't done it yet. Suarez is still younger than a 2 year old.
The orale phase should go away after 18 months. Someone should give Suarez a Freud book.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
It's hate crimes all over again if that's the goal.
assault?

Do you really think FIFA went too harsh on him, X?
based on precedent i thought so, remember this is his first instance at FIFA level, i think his punishment was to appease the storm created by the media more than a fair and to the letter assessment of his behavior imo

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
More the debate over whether a murder should be subject to any more punishment than any other similar murder just because it was done under the auspices of racial hatred. It's the relativism vs. consistency issue.

Some punishments are socially more severe than others not just because of the assault severity of the individual offense, but what it represents as a form of behavior that is tolerated more or less in society.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
assault?

based on precedent i thought so, remember this is his first instance at FIFA level, i think his punishment was to appease the storm created by the media more than a fair and to the letter assessment of his behavior imo
But FIFA is the sport's governing body and sanctions club competition as well. So it is only right that they would view this as his third incident with biting and 4th major suspension...

The precedent thing works to a degree, but biting is virgin ground. It just has not been done before and so there isn't really a precedent aside from something like spitting which carries a few game ban for a first offense and is nowhere near as bad as biting.

There was an Iraqi suspended for 15 months for spitting on a ref at 86 WC. There is about as close to WC precedent as one can get...

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
More the debate over whether a murder should be subject to any more punishment than any other similar murder just because it was done under the auspices of racial hatred. It's the relativism vs. consistency issue.

Some punishments are socially more severe than others not just because of the assault severity of the individual offense, but what it represents as a form of behavior that is tolerated more or less in society.

ah i didnt get you at first, i dont condone or advocate an absolutist stance but a more balanced and consistent one. Thing is biting in western society is clearly defined as a form of assault in the same category as kicking or spitting.

- - - Updated - - -

But FIFA is the sport's governing body and sanctions club competition as well. So it is only right that they would view this as his third incident with biting and 4th major suspension...

The precedent thing works to a degree, but biting is virgin ground. It just has not been done before and so there isn't really a precedent aside from something like spitting which carries a few game ban for a first offense and is nowhere near as bad as biting.

There was an Iraqi suspended for 15 months for spitting on a ref at 86 WC. There is about as close to WC precedent as one can get...

and joao pinto was suspended for the same period as suarez for punching a ref after getting red carded, it's all over the place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)