Loyal players to remember from european clubs? (2 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Tommasi for Roma.

He may have left the club this year but it takes some gut for a professional of Tommasi's stature, whether coming off injury plagued year or not, to play for the minimum wage.

And I am shocked nobody mentioned Franco Baresi. The best defender all time, IMO, had to play 2 years in Serie B because of his affinity with Milan. Oh, did I mentioned he was a interista?:D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
juve88 said:
hey what about pessotto...........
Nah, he played for Granata.;)

On a serious note, I am not doubting Pessotto's loyalty to Juve. He was a consumate professional who may not be most glamorous player in the world but always upto the task and play his heart for the good of the team.
However, there are many players who have shown similar dedications to their respective clubs, and I guess we may have to distinguish between them, however unfair it may be. In this respect, I think there are couple of other players who has demonstrated some act of unbelievable magnitude and precedents just get the nod in my scale. Del Piero, Baresi, Tommasi, Maldini, Batistuta, Gigi Riva, Guiseppe Giannini, Beppe Bergomi well that is not bad list is it?

Though I think we should start a thread about most disloyal and travelled player thread. And do not mention Vieri!:D .

BTW, Giannini >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Totti in terms of loyalty. Gianni actually had to play most of his career in a pathetic Roma squad in late 80s to early 90s when they were hovering in low-mid table. The man could have won couple of CL trophies if he wanted to.

ramzax

Jan 10, 2003
Bruno Conti to Roma
Beppe Bergomi to Inter
Danny Blind to Ajax.

although he played with many clubs, but playing with Fiorentina from C-2 to A, i think Angelo Di Livio "soldatino" surely must be on this list.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Fliakis said:
he won a coppa iirc :D
Nah, even Inter players can boast winning Coppa!:D .
Ok, he won at a time when it actually mattered (Can't be said of all Inter players).
On a serious note, I still can't believe why Giannini rejected the chance to join Milan where he could have 3-4 CL titles like fellow Internationals such as Maldini and Baresi.

BTW, Di Livio is a fantastic pick. That man has heart and gives 180% whereever he goes. He was loyal servant for Juve and Fiorentina - not many can claim that!:smoke:

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Xavi, Puyol --------> Barcelona
Angulo ----------> Valencia

Not sure if Albelda should be included, after all he only played for Valencia

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Most of the players named here are great players already playing for BIG CLUBS.

It's easy to stay 5,6 7, or more years at a big club when other options are seen as a step down or on a par.

The true test of loyalty is a magnificent player playing for a low ranking, unfancied club who could go to a Euro or South American GIANT for BIG BUCKS...but doesn't.

How about Matt Le Tessier of Southampton...could have gone to big clubs in the EPL, but chose to play all his senior career with his beloved Southampton.

Paul McStay at Celtic is another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)