Liverpool to defend trophy (14 Viewers)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
no Everton are still in the CL next season, it just means that some other poor club were axed because of this, I think it was an Austrian team.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Actually, seen from a different perspective, this could be good for the small teams. I mean, look at the team that get's drawn against Liverpool in the 1st round. They'll have the European champions playing a competitive match against them, and that could mean a great deal for a club from Bosnia, Malta, Cyprus, Estonia etc, in means of marketing, TV rights, attendances, not to mention the "honour", the chance of playing the best of the best. Sure, the match would most probably mean they'll be eliminated straight away, but let's face it, when was the last time a team from the 1st round actually qualified?

Same goes for the team that gets Liveprool in the second and third rounds.

Actually, this isn't a bad solution IMO.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Actually, seen from a different perspective, this could be good for the small teams. I mean, look at the team that get's drawn against Liverpool in the 1st round. They'll have the European champions playing a competitive match against them, and that could mean a great deal for a club from Bosnia, Malta, Cyprus, Estonia etc, in means of marketing, TV rights, attendances, not to mention the "honour", the chance of playing the best of the best. Sure, the match would most probably mean they'll be eliminated straight away, but let's face it, when was the last time a team from the 1st round actually qualified?

Same goes for the team that gets Liveprool in the second and third rounds.

Actually, this isn't a bad solution IMO.
Oh yes, since England now get 5 slots, that means someone's gonna lose one slot to keep the balance. Great news for whomever that is, isn't it.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Oh yes, since England now get 5 slots, that means someone's gonna lose one slot to keep the balance. Great news for whomever that is, isn't it.

That is true, but if UEFA compensated them financially there shouldn't be much of a problem. Like I said, it's not like they would have played the CL anyways.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004

That is true, but if UEFA compensated them financially there shouldn't be much of a problem. Like I said, it's not like they would have played the CL anyways.
As if UEFA would REALLY do that! Plus, there is the fact that, that club might not be able to attract decent players (at there level) cause they are no-longer in the CL, this is just wrong on so many levels.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++

As if UEFA would REALLY do that! Plus, there is the fact that, that club might not be able to attract decent players (at there level) cause they are no-longer in the CL, this is just wrong on so many levels.

Of course they would, and in fact they probably have. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool themselves compensated them. Besides, they can compensate them financially, and let them play in the UEFA Cup, there are two free spots anyway. That should help them attract players. Let's face it, teams that play in the first round of the CL qualifiers arent exactly world beaters, they probably wouldn't mind playing the UEFA Cup if it ment more money.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Please, Zlatan you arent that stupid to believe that, Liverpool wouldnt of done anything, and UEFA dont care about what happens to little clubs, they forced the Spanish FA to screw Zaragoza out of a CL place in 2002, do you know what happened to them after that? They were relegated that season, now it cant be proven it was the fault of them not being in the CL but I doubt with the money they could of used and the prestiege gained from being in such a competition would of surely helped.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Please, Zlatan you arent that stupid to believe that, Liverpool wouldnt of done anything, and UEFA dont care about what happens to little clubs, they forced the Spanish FA to screw Zaragoza out of a CL place in 2002, do you know what happened to them after that? They were relegated that season, now it cant be proven it was the fault of them not being in the CL but I doubt with the money they could of used and the prestiege gained from being in such a competition would of surely helped.

First of all, it's the national FAs that nominate the clubs for Euro competitions, so it's not completely UEFA's afult that the Spanish FA screwed Zaragoza.

And this is hardly another Zaragoza case. YOu and I both know that the club that lost it's place to Liverpool had perhaps a 1% chance at best of getting to the group stage of the CL, so they are hardly losing any prestige. A UEFA Cup place and the financial compensation for the CL (which I am sure UEFA will give) are IMO a good enough result of the situation for a small club.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004

First of all, it's the national FAs that nominate the clubs for Euro competitions, so it's not completely UEFA's afult that the Spanish FA screwed Zaragoza.

And this is hardly another Zaragoza case. YOu and I both know that the club that lost it's place to Liverpool had perhaps a 1% chance at best of getting to the group stage of the CL, so they are hardly losing any prestige. A UEFA Cup place and the financial compensation for the CL (which I am sure UEFA will give) are IMO a good enough result of the situation for a small club.
Any sane person knows the amount of pressure UEFA put on the Spanish FA, imagine the money UEFA would of lose without Real, not even including the fact they were the champions.

Listen, it doesnt matter if they had 1% chance, tell me something...How would you feel knowing you'd worked as hard as you could getting into the CL qualifing though a whole season, only to find out a club who DONT deserve to be there take your place because they have a bigger reputation. Say your a player at a football club, manager comes in 1 day, "oh sorry lads, we wont be in the CL next season despite all our hard work and being there on merit, cause Liverpool werent good enough to get 4th themselves and earn there own place"...de-light-ed

There is a thing called a "fair playing friend", or at least it used to exist, those who deserve it should be in it.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
Yeah obviously I have no clue. Its just both boring and predictable to see these posts. If it was Juve who were in the same position EVERYONE would think it was ok.
Nope. Nada. Lame.

Sorry, Emma. I'm not buying that line of crap. If Juve won the CL but finished at where Samp is now (or more accurately: where Palermo is now, since four teams would be ahead of them), we have no business being in the next year's CL.

With this issue, I actually bothered to write to UEFA to pretty much state that. No matter who, if you don't finish well in your domestic league, you have no business whining about missing out on a CL spot.

So many bloody hypocrites in the one place its amazing. But yeah from what Ive gathered Juve have cheated many times. They have bent the rules over drug use, relegation etc etc. But now when its Liverpool who get a break its such a big deal for everyone.
Emma, I never really picked an opinion one way or other about you in the past. But with this kind of blanket stereotyping and generalization, I now at least have concluded that you are legally blind, bordering on deaf, and the verdict is still out on the dumb part.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

Any sane person knows the amount of pressure UEFA put on the Spanish FA, imagine the money UEFA would of lose without Real, not even including the fact they were the champions.

Listen, it doesnt matter if they had 1% chance, tell me something...How would you feel knowing you'd worked as hard as you could getting into the CL qualifing though a whole season, only to find out a club who DONT deserve to be there take your place because they have a bigger reputation. Say your a player at a football club, manager comes in 1 day, "oh sorry lads, we wont be in the CL next season despite all our hard work and being there on merit, cause Liverpool werent good enough to get 4th themselves and earn there own place"...de-light-ed

There is a thing called a "fair playing friend", or at least it used to exist, those who deserve it should be in it.

Like I said before, I know that it isn't fair, but if they really wanted Liverpool to defend their title, this is the best option.

Feb 26, 2005
Well, excuuuse me for jumping right in here and going off half cocked...narf. The whole sordid affair is just a buncha bull. UEFA categorically stated not so long ago that it was the prerogative of the national association to decide whether or not a CL winner who failed to qualify through the league should be allowed back in to defend it. And that this could only be done by sacrificing the team above them.

The English FA had a look at the situation, and glaringly lacking the cojones of their Spanish counterparts, feebly stated that Everton would not be bounced from the CL to accomodate city rivals who failed to measure up to the league's demanding standards. At a point in time, it also became clear that Liverpool were sacrificing their league form for CL glory. That it worked for them is all well and good, but to suddenly begin whining that they "deserved" to be allowed to defend the trophy was utter tripe. The only way to deserve to be in the CL is to battle your way to a qualifying spot in your local league.

But that's all moot now, cos UEFA bought the dummy, and gave Liverpool a road back into the CL. But were the Liverpool fans happy? Nooooo. Instead, they moaned that they shouldn't be made to qualify like every other club that found itself ultimately in a qualifying spot. This crass ungratefulness on their part is sickening.

I fear UEFA have set a precedent that as the Americans would say "will come back to bite them in the ass."

OP
Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #40
    ++ [ originally posted by madlawyer1 ] ++
    I fear UEFA have set a precedent that as the Americans would say "will come back to bite them in the ass."
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Welcome back mad one. Where have you been?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)