Listen exclusively to Bee sounds toys imported from China. Cultural Jungle toy!!! (2 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
These things are so damn annoying. I think if they ban them the quality of football will surely raise from what it has been in the opening matches.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Among South Africans, there's a lot of talk about the "vuvuzela etiquette" that's been breached by all the amateurs flooding the games...

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I wonder if the low amount of goals scored and the lack of clear scoring chances in the opening rounds is a result of this nonsense.

This is a tournament for the world not just S. Africa, the Vuvuzuelas should be banned.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I wonder if the low amount of goals scored and the lack of clear scoring chances in the opening rounds is a result of this nonsense.

This is a tournament for the world not just S. Africa, the Vuvuzuelas should be banned.
That is exactly what i have been arguing (it was one of my fb status's a few days back) i got accused of being a 'football colonialist' lol.

Also after the confederations cup FIFA said they wouldnt ban them unless they posed a threat to the players or fans by being used as missiles.

Distracting the players?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Vuvuzelas are local culture, much like at Portuguese Liga matches you'll have people chanting with the sound of drums and horns throughout the match. I don't see the issue.

If some team has a complaint, then host their own damn World Cup.

One of those rare times today I agreed with Alexi Lalas on TV today when he rebuffed people who were complaining about the ball. His point: "Blame the ball because it doesn't go your way. That's crap." He's 100% right.

And if they can coat the pitch for WC '90 in hair grease and marinara sauce, the South Africans can have their vuvuzelas. :stuckup:

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Vuvuzelas are local culture, much like at Portuguese Liga matches you'll have people chanting with the sound of drums and horns throughout the match. I don't see the issue.

If some team has a complaint, then host their own damn World Cup.

One of those rare times today I agreed with Alexi Lalas on TV today when he rebuffed people who were complaining about the ball. His point: "Blame the ball because it doesn't go your way. That's crap." He's 100% right.

And if they can coat the pitch for WC '90 in hair grease and marinara sauce, the South Africans can have their vuvuzelas. :stuckup:
Well thats brilliant...for them. But its a world event. They can do whatever they like in their league but it is unfair on the rest of the world who are watching the world event. Especially as they are one of the few countries in the world that do it.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
You know they're not a long standing tradition in South Africa. They're a recent phenomenon.
:agree: The problem is that no one wants offend an African Nation. I read a few articles on it and that seems to be the reason they wont be banned.

It has become the unlikely symbol of South African football, yet has divided local opinion and deafened tens of thousands of visitors to the 2010 World Cup. The buzzing of the vuvuzela — a cheap, plastic, monotone trumpet — is the incessant accompaniment to every match.

South African spectators do not require the excuse of a goal or a thrilling moment to puff out their cheeks and blow. They simply drone on, and at a collective noise level that would rival the engines of a Jumbo jet.

The racket is driving players, broadcasters and visiting supporters to distraction — so much so that the South Africa World Cup Organising Committee has warned that the trumpets might have to be banned. Fifa, football’s international governing body, issued an edict two weeks ago that the vuvuzelas must not be played during national anthems or stadium announcements.

But Danny Jordaan, chief executive of the organising committee — and the most powerful man in South African football — went farther yesterday, as he wearily admitted that he had had enough of the infernal noise that makes the stadiums resonate like gigantic beehives.

“We have tried to get some order,” Mr Jordaan said. “We have had some broadcasters and individuals complaining and it is something we are evaluating on an ongoing basis.”

With at least 650,000 vuvuzelas having been sold before the World Cup opened, a ban would seem impractical, and Fifa insists that this would happen only if the instruments were used as missiles or weapons. Fifa is also reluctant to take action against such a distinctive cultural symbol of the South African people.

Nor would a stadium ban stop the South Africans blowing their vuvuzelas at every opportunity in the streets — and frightening the life out of unwary shoppers in city precincts and drinkers in bars and hotels.

Patrice Evra, the captain of France, has said that the noise is preventing the players from hearing each other on the pitch and is keeping them awake in their hotel. Team coaches have complained of the sheer volume. South African fans claim that it is their twelfth man on the pitch when their beloved Bafana Bafana, as the home side is known, play.

At Oliver Tambo airport in Johannesburg, Lucky Madonsela, a South African Airways check-in agent, greets passengers with a blast of his vuvuzela. “The best way to avoid the noise is to have your own vuvuzela,” he said. “While you’re blowing you can’t hear the noise. It is our singing — we sing with the horn.”

But it is the human voice — raised joyfully in song — that Mr Jordaan wants restored to South Africa’s stadiums. “It has always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would encourage them to sing. In the days of the struggle against apartheid, we were singing. All through our history, it was our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article7149593.ece
-------------------------------------------------------

How selfish....

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well thats brilliant...for them. But its a world event. They can do whatever they like in their league but it is unfair on the rest of the world who are watching the world event. Especially as they are one of the few countries in the world that do it.
That's home field advantage, Holmes. This is why the U.S. team goes down to Honduras and has every pot and pan in town banged out their hotel window to ensure the team gets no sleep before their qualifier match. This is why they light flares and set off bombs in Rome's Stadio Olimpico or drop piss bags in the Stadio Meazza.

Cry me a river if visiting countries don't like it. Boo hoo. You won't see Liverpool canceling their "You'll Never Walk Alone" singalongs. You won't find fans of the Mexico NT holding off on wearing their Osama Bin Laden masks when the U.S. comes to town.

Is this really that hard to understand?

If you don't like it, that's all the more reason for them to do it. Home rules. Visitors have to put up with it and not hide behind some pantywaist bureaucrats telling them they have to behave like schoolchildren.

You know they're not a long standing tradition in South Africa. They're a recent phenomenon.
They're a recent phenom for other sports like rugby union, but they started with soccer in South Africa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)