Lippi reveals Azzurri plans (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Lippi reveals Azzurri plans
Monday 26 July, 2004

New Italy boss Marcello Lippi will turn to youth in a bid to qualify for the 2006 World Cup Finals.

"Four or five of the Under-21 side that are off to the Olympics next month will be integrated," he told ‘Radio Radio’.

Although Lippi didn’t mention any names, the likes of Alberto Gilardino and Daniele Bonera are likely to be promoted to the Azzurri set-up.

Lippi, who replaced Giovanni Trapattoni after the Euro 2004 disaster, will begin his international career against Iceland in an August friendly.

"Who will play? It is too early to say as I’ve only just begun the job," he added. "I’ll decide over the next few weeks."

The tactician also reassured the Valencia trio of Bernardo Corradi, Stefano Fiore and Marco Di Vaio that they would not be forgotten.

"I will keep a close eye on the Italians abroad," he confirmed. "There is no difference in getting on a plane in Valencia than in Turin."

The former Juventus boss is also confident that the side’s struggles in Portugal this summer wouldn’t affect their World Cup qualification campaign.

"I really don’t think that the Italian players feel inferior to anybody and they will be hungry to pick themselves up," he explained.

Many in the peninsula believe that the new Italy is set to be inspired by Francesco Totti and Antonio Cassano.

"The national team belongs to everybody and not just these two Roma players," he concluded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is good news IMO, but looking at Lippi's current atittude, I can't help but wonder why our youth policy at Juve was so shite. Perhaps he's learned from his mistakes (trusting his old favourites instead of giving the youngsters a fair go)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Lippi reveals Azzurri plans
Monday 26 July, 2004

New Italy boss Marcello Lippi will turn to youth in a bid to qualify for the 2006 World Cup Finals.

"Four or five of the Under-21 side that are off to the Olympics next month will be integrated," he told ‘Radio Radio’.

Although Lippi didn’t mention any names, the likes of Alberto Gilardino and Daniele Bonera are likely to be promoted to the Azzurri set-up.

Lippi, who replaced Giovanni Trapattoni after the Euro 2004 disaster, will begin his international career against Iceland in an August friendly.

"Who will play? It is too early to say as I’ve only just begun the job," he added. "I’ll decide over the next few weeks."

The tactician also reassured the Valencia trio of Bernardo Corradi, Stefano Fiore and Marco Di Vaio that they would not be forgotten.

"I will keep a close eye on the Italians abroad," he confirmed. "There is no difference in getting on a plane in Valencia than in Turin."

The former Juventus boss is also confident that the side’s struggles in Portugal this summer wouldn’t affect their World Cup qualification campaign.

"I really don’t think that the Italian players feel inferior to anybody and they will be hungry to pick themselves up," he explained.

Many in the peninsula believe that the new Italy is set to be inspired by Francesco Totti and Antonio Cassano.

"The national team belongs to everybody and not just these two Roma players," he concluded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is good news IMO, but looking at Lippi's current atittude, I can't help but wonder why our youth policy at Juve was so shite. Perhaps he's learned from his mistakes (trusting his old favourites instead of giving the youngsters a fair go)
"Radio Radio"- sounds like a great name for a radio station.

First qualifier is Sep 4th, right?

Jan 24, 2004
Lippi builds enthusiasm
Tuesday 27 July, 2004

New Italy Coach Marcello Lippi is continuing his tour of all Italian clubs today, visiting the San Siro and Roberto Mancini’s Inter.

Lippi believes that it is important at this stage to go round and visit all the protagonists of Italian football.

“During the summer it’s possible to go and see all the preseason games and chat with a few of my colleagues and the footballers in a more relaxed environment,” insists Lippi. “Especially for those players who have struggled recently and need to feel some support and enthusiasm.

“However, I am talking to all the Italian footballers and not just those who have played for Italy in recent games,” continued the tactician. “It is important to talk and keep alive the dream that these boys have of playing for Italy. A dream that could still be realized.”

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I think experience counts more than a youth policy as far as big competitions go. Its perfectly alright to integrate new players in to your system, but i think the balance should still be in the favour of experience than youth, at the end of the day.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
Probably because it wasn't as easy to get them (on a club level) :).
He already had two brilliant youngsters in Maresca and Miccoli but opted for Tacchinardi and Del Piero...

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
Lippi Having Problems with FIGC

Marcello Lippi's adventure at the helm of the Italian national team might shockingly end before it even begins.

This has been claimed by Italian newspaper, Corriere della Sera, which reported problems between Lippi and the FIGC (Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio) regarding the staff that will be backing the former Juve coach.

Lippi has in fact written down a list of highly qualified professionals for the new Italian national team, but the Federation is hesitant as the cost of hiring the staff that the new Azzurri coach wants might be too high for their pockets.

The Federation is aiming to obtain more economical staff members which do not however satisfy the Italian Paul Newman.

If the problems remain unsolved and no agreement is reached, Marcello Lippi might opt to leave the Italian team as he has not yet signed the contract to coach the national team as of yet.

FGS, it's about money now? :fero:

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Lippi yet to sign deal
Sunday 1 August, 2004

Marcello Lippi’s stint as Italy boss could be over before it has even started given that he still hasn’t signed a contract.

Reports in the peninsula today claim that the tactician has yet to commit because of a row over his medical staff.

It’s alleged that the Italian Football Federation are not keen to meet Lippi’s requests given the cost involved.

Lippi is understood to have handed over a list of names whom he wants to work with but the FIGC are standing firm.

A meeting which was scheduled for Friday is understood to have been rescheduled for sometime on Monday.

Although it seems unlikely that Lippi will walk away, there is a desire to resolve the situation as soon as possible.

The Azzurri will actually play their first friendly under Lippi against Iceland in Reykjavik on 18 August.

The former Juventus tactician was handed the role after Giovanni Trapattoni’s Italy flopped at Euro 2004.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Lippi Wants The World Cup
8/2/2004 11:19:00 AM

Marcello Lippi is used to winning and he certainly doesn't want to stop now that he has become Italy's manager, the goal is the 2006 World Cup.
"I have never been a person that speaks before doing things but this time I have to admit that things are a bit different," the manager said. "Italy is a great football nation and we take part in competitions in order to win so I won't be happy if I don't see the players with the world cup in their hands in two years time".

"Soon I will meet all the internationals at our first training session and I'll explain what kind of job I want to do," he added. "They have to start thinking right now that we have only one acceptable result and we must achieve it".

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Lippi: We must win World Cup
Monday 2 August, 2004

Marcello Lippi has not yet signed his contract with the Italy squad, but maintains his objective is to lift the 2006 World Cup trophy.

“We must win,” he commented after the Azzurri’s early exit in the European Championships. “There really is no middle ground here. The players need to know from the first training session and opening friendly game that we are starting an era with a precise objective – the 2006 World Cup.”

The former Juventus Coach was the obvious choice to take over the mantle of Giovanni Trapattoni after winning a succession of trophies with the Turin giants.

“The Nazionale is the right challenge for me after many years at the highest level,” he told the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport’. “When I decided to leave Juve a year early, some people thought I was effectively putting myself forward for the Italy job, but it wasn’t true. I simply believed my fantastic adventure with the Bianconeri had come to a natural conclusion.”

Lippi had insisted following the heartbreaking penalties defeat to Milan in the 2003 Champions’ League Final that he would quit football altogether if he failed to win the trophy.

“I did want to just get away from the game for a while and recharge my batteries. I received numerous offers from other clubs and always turned them down, but when the Italian Federation called I really couldn’t say no.”

He begins work with a friendly test against Iceland in August, before opening the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.

“I want the players to believe they are in a club rather than a national side,” explained the tactician. “I’d like to pass on my enthusiasm and ensure the fans feel close to the Azzurri colours again.”

However, Lippi’s revolution will not enrage the big clubs when it comes to friendly encounters.

“I wish to point out that I will make a distinction between friendlies and official games. I do not intend to call up players I already know well just to play them for ten minutes. I also have no intention of bargaining with their Coaches on how long they’ll spend on the pitch.”

Italy’s Euro 2004 campaign may have been a failure, but the first half performance against Sweden is a starting point for the new Coach.

“Almost all of Europe is using a 4-4-2 system or the 4-2-3-1, but Serie A has a wider variety of tactics to choose from. I will have two or three main line-ups to begin with: the classic 4-4-2, Trapattoni’s most recent 4-2-3-1 or the Milan style 4-3-1-2.”

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I must admit though, however much he may say it, I think he knew he would get the call up for the Nazionale, which is probably why he called off his contract at Juve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)