OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #42
    sateeh said:
    grazie senior Lippi

interesting statistic is that no world cup winning coach stayed in , since the 70s
    I think you will find that Beazrot was manager in 1986 and that extremely senile Zagalo will no doubt be assistant manager for Brazil in 3008:D

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Ex-Italy boss Marcello Lippi has ended his media silence after lifting the World Cup and looks to his future in football.

“This is the first time in 40 years that I find myself still on holiday on August 10,” smiled the former player and Coach who found success both at club and international level. “All in all, it’s not a bad feeling. The FIGC knew for some time that I would’ve quit after the World Cup and I am a man who sticks to his decisions.”

The former Juventus and Inter tactician has been heavily linked with Manchester United, though he told the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport’ that there is no rush.

“I have already received a few important offers, but I am in no hurry to get back to the playing field. I think I will sit and watch for another four or five months, then I’ll begin again. It needn’t necessarily be for one of Europe’s top sides. I am looking for a serious project and, if possible, some friendly faces.”

Lippi triumphed at Germany 2006, yet when you are in charge of the Italy squad, there is always going to be criticism.

“A few days ago I was having breakfast in a bar at 7.30am. A man walked up to me and said: ‘Mister, your Italy side didn’t attack enough down the flanks.’ I looked at him for a few moments, almost paralysed. Then I told him: ‘Just eat your croissants!’ It really is impossible to please everyone.” :lol:

In truth, the tactician had his critics even before the World Cup and many newspapers asked for his resignation in the wake of the Calciopoli scandal and his working relationship with then-Juventus director general Luciano Moggi.

“A month has passed since the Final and I remain very proud to have created a real team spirit. The 1982 title was personified by Pablito Rossi’s goals, but our World Cup was in the image of a team. This is an Italy side that will also do well in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, as I’ve rarely in my career seen such unity. Champions would happily sit on the bench and accept my choices.”

Gennaro Gattuso suggested the Calciopoli scandal actually helped the Azzurri to forge a siege mentality in Germany.

“We were like that movie, ‘The Dirty Dozen’,” agreed Lippi. “We took on this tournament with the same grit to prove our football had values and was in good condition in a difficult moment. We used 21 out of 23 players and all of them were up to the task, even the less famous members. Fabio Grosso gained international stature, Andrea Barzagli made sure the first choices weren’t missed, Marco Materazzi was decisive and Gennaro Gattuso is a real champion, because you don’t necessarily need to back-heel the ball every time to be world class.”

This was also the first time the Coach had broken his silence on Zinedine Zidane’s three-match ban for headbutting Marco Materazzi in the Final – and the Inter defender’s two-game suspension for ‘provoking’ the incident.

“I worked with Zidane for five years at Juventus and remembered him as an exceptional man, but it wasn’t right to vote him Player of the World Cup. It was also quite a push to compare his gesture to the alleged provocation. For example, the same approach was not used when punishing Francesco Totti in Euro 2004.”

Totti was banned for three matches during that competition when he was caught on camera spitting at Christian Poulsen. The Dane, who had been provoking him throughout the 0-0 draw, went unpunished.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)