Linux : take it for a spin ;) (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
For those who are curious about Linux, what it is and how it works, I found a great way to explore it. Knoppix makes boot cds with a complete system, hardware detection and whatnot, all working in the background so once you boot the cd you boot right into a fully functional desktop environment. And from there on you're right in the driver's seat. You can listen to music, write a letter to grandma, watch a movie, check out OpenOffice (or KOffice) [clones to M$ Office], browse the web, send/receive email, use instant messaging with Gaim ++...

To try Knoppix, download an image (about 700MB in size, from www.knoppix.com) and burn on a cd-r/rw, then pop it into your cdrom drive and boot from the cd. Once the menu comes up, just hit enter and you're all set.

Note: this method does not modify your harddrives in any, it's all on the cd, your drives won't be touched ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
what's that wink at the end...does that really mean that the drives won't be touched...

if so, how can you have a home directory set-up without using the HD?!

but i'll give it a try....though now now. :D

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    The wink is for the over sensitive paranoid don't-dare-touching-my-drive people ;)

How? Needless to say, any changes you may do to the filesystem will be discarded considering you are booting from a READ ONLY device :doh:;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    The wink is for the over sensitive paranoid don't-dare-touching-my-drive people ;)

How? Needless to say, any changes you may do to the filesystem will be discarded considering you are booting from a READ ONLY device :doh:;)
    i guess i'm one of those dont-sare-touch...... people :angel:

my harddrive is screwed up enough!!

aha..i c..

ok:D

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Tasty :D ..... Just wondering how long it will take me to download 700mb bearing in mind my connection is .... Never mind :)
    One of my machines is running on linux - KDE but am running my squid there plus I just don't have enough time to tinker with it at the moment.

SilvLightning

Sep 1, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by hoshi ] ++
    700mb would take me til next year to download :down:
    crappy modem. i'm dying for broadband
    I have the same problem as you Hoshi.:down:
    Hopefully I'll get a faster internet connection soon and then I'll try it.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    My only hope for bettering my connection at the moment is through satelite .... :down:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Damn expensive and that is why I will be sticking to my slow connection for a long while :down:
    My current connection will take me 4 nights to download 700mb :eek:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #11
    Ehm well the downside to Knoppix is you need to download the image and then burn it.. :D

Reza

Jul 13, 2002
    knoppix is amazing ,
    for me personaly as a computer freak there is lots of how beyond this portable OS.

try it ,u will love the user interface .

Reza

Jul 13, 2002
    yeah ,
    actually i'm working in a security team and they implemented
    firewall and vpn on linux ,so i must learn linux as soon as possible
    but there is a lack of time ..:down:but i'm trying .my learning time starts from 9 which i come back home.

by the way once i said u i'm gona learn c# ,u know what happend!?

by the way ,me too ,missed u too.what are u doing now a days!

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    Right now I'm working in a group to develop a java based system for a company to sell their products. We use PostgreSQL as our dbase backbone. It's a project from school and we're putting the finishing touches on it now.

In fact, I can give you a look at it later if anyone's interested.

Reza

Jul 13, 2002
    to be fair ,are u enjoying java ,if yes ,i'm wondering if u have true reason .

i'm ready to beg in street but don't code java ,if i'm wrong tell me buddy .

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #18
    :LOL:

You're right, you're right, java is horrible sometimes. I did some delphi coding years ago and I found that to be much more user friendly. There are so many things about java that piss me off! :fero:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Reza ] ++
    i'm ready to beg in street but don't code java ,if i'm wrong tell me buddy .
    :LOL:
    You wimp!!! Actually I was ready to beg on the road when I touched BASIC ;)

Reza

Jul 13, 2002
    yes!

to tell the true ,first i thought if i complain java masivly i may bother u or java freaks if anybody here .

it is really killing . matter of fact it worth to use in web based products and only for interface making .

u say u are delphi worker , keep it man .it is clearly better then java or any other virtual machine based half compiler half interpreter language ,put it aside and get on u'r delphi .

like a nut i spend about 6 month learning java ,yep everything is beatiful from far away ,lots of colorful books ,i don' know j2se j2me j2ee .big lies " making software for embedded systems ".

even sun knows it doesn't work . they say java for linux or sth ,
    my god ! they forgot matter of performance and time .

if it is for not only computer systems ,so what where are those devices ?

they say jini for their fantasy network based devices but i don't see many of them in hands.

in a nutshel : i lov my pointers and reference and never listen to those of companies' products .

c# was either that way (wasted my time about one year).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)