Limit to Non-EU players in Italy (1 Viewer)

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) is to put a cap on the number of players from countries outside the European Union competing in its top divisions.

New legislation
The FIGC will introduce new legislation next season permitting Serie A teams to sign just one non-EU player, and only to replace a non-EU player already at the club. "From next season all clubs wanting to acquire a player from outside the EC will first be required to give up another," said the president of the Italian Footballers Association, Sergio Campana.

Exception to rule
Top-flight sides will be allowed to retain their current non-EU players. Meanwhile, teams promoted to Serie A next season will have a quota of three non-EU players. "The only sides exempt from these new regulations will be the [four] newly promoted sides [in Serie A], who can have a total of three non-EU players," Campana said. The aim, he added, is to guarantee the "predominance of Italian players at the highest levels of domestic competition".

Lower divisions
The FIGC also imposed a complete block on non-EU players entering Serie B and Serie C, also effective as from the start of the 2003/04 campaign. There will be no restriction, however, on clubs fielding all their non-EU players in a match.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
thats so true....

if the serie a is full of non-eu players its only because the italians arent talented enough for any club to take a second look at them...once clubs actually start to nurture young players, italians will AUTOMATICALLY get the attention they need, at home AND abroad.

The FIGC will regret this, and the league will feel the adverse effects of this legislation.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
what crap....once we fall behind in the rankings due to this stupid ruling they will realize their mistake.:fero:

besides,how does this ensure that the standard of italian players is maintained in serie a?we can still sign EU players in place of italians...

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
:undecide: What a 13th century rule ...! Who came up with that?!
Since the new rules very much favours Milan, my guess would be Galliani:rolleyes:

nina

Feb 18, 2001
I agree and disagree. I don't see what the difference is between an EU player and the non EU player (well I know do know it, just doesn't seem logocal), that's really discrimination. But I'm in favour of applaying as less foreigners in Calcio as possible.

OP
danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    I agree and disagree. I don't see what the difference is between an EU player and the non EU player (well I know do know it, just doesn't seem logocal), that's really discrimination. But I'm in favour of applaying as less foreigners in Calcio as possible.
    There won't really be less foreigners, not in Serie A anyways. If a team has 6 Non-EU players right now, they'll have 6 Non-EU players for as long as they want them.

And technically, a team could still have 11 "foreigners" on the pitch at once. You could have Portuguese, English, Spanish, Irish...

The new rule really makes no sense.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    I reckon limiting the number of foreigners would be a good thing, so long as there are enough quality Italian players to maintain the quality of the league. At the moment I don't believe this to be the case but I may be wrong. However, the difference between Eu and non Eu should be nothing, this is as Ian put it discrimination.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    ...However, the difference between Eu and non Eu should be nothing, this is as Ian put it discrimination.

It only exists because of EU law - you can't legally discriminate between a Spaniard, a Frenchman, a German, etc. and an Italian. On the other hand, you're free to limit non-EU workers.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    So all of you people who think the number of foreigners in Serie A should be limited also don't mind the standard of Serie A falling and the loss of Champions League berths?

Because, let's face it, the Latin-Americans MADE Serie A!!

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    So all of you people who think the number of foreigners in Serie A should be limited also don't mind the standard of Serie A falling and the loss of Champions League berths?

Because, let's face it, the Latin-Americans MADE Serie A!!
    thats exactly the point. We'd all like to believe the standard would be the same, or improve, with more Italians, but this is unlikely to happen, lets face it, there just don't seem to be that many good Italian players about at the moment

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    exactly-it makes me wanna eat my heart out.we'd be missing out on the likes of d'ale,cavenaghi,marquez etc.unless we sell,which would have to be montero/zala/olivera.btw is guzman still ours?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    thats exactly the point. We'd all like to believe the standard would be the same, or improve, with more Italians, but this is unlikely to happen, lets face it, there just don't seem to be that many good Italian players about at the moment
    Well of course not, there are only 59 million Italians as opposed to 531 million Latin Americans. What did you expect? It's not just something of this moment!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I looked up the exact figure for Latin America, yes. But I knew it was something like that.

Not that you get to laugh at me for that though - you don't even know how many Irish people there are I bet :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)