Ligue 1 2016/2017 (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2015
Are people seriously saying Monaco should've fielded the starting 11 that have been playing non-stop in 4 competitions since august 12, in a midweek cup game sandwiched between 2 important league games and just before the CL semis? :lol:
If you want to be a big team that is seriously taken you certainly don't throw away a game by fielding 11 noobs. Rotation is a totally different thing and should be done throughout the season. They basically forfeited the game and exited the competition. Our fans would be furious if similar thing happened here as would any other fan that supports a big team.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
If you want to be a big team that is seriously taken you certainly don't throw away a game by fielding 11 noobs. Rotation is a totally different thing and should be done throughout the season. They basically forfeited the game and exited the competition. Our fans would be furious if similar thing happened here as would any other fan that supports a big team.
:agree:

farfan

Mar 12, 2016
Who said they're a big team? why are you holding them to the same standard as Juventus? they're a mid-size team on a moderate budget trying to win their first league title in 17 years, they have to do everything they can to maximize their chances.

Rotation throughout the season is difficult when you're only few points above your rivals for most of the season and there is a huge gulf in quality between the starting 11 and the bench.

Jun 6, 2015
Who said they're a big team? why are you holding them to the same standard as Juventus? they're a mid-size team on a moderate budget trying to win their first league title in 17 years, they have to do everything they can to maximize their chances.

Rotation throughout the season is difficult when you're only few points above your rivals for most of the season and there is a huge gulf in quality between the starting 11 and the bench.
I'm not holding them to the same standard as Juve far from it but they certainly should and do hold a very high standard for themselves. This doesn't really reflect those standards and I generally feel these kind of decisions only bite you on the back in the long term. What happened today should be a huge boost for PSG not to Monaco, I hope I'm wrong because I certainly prefer Monaco winning the Ligue 1.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

You don't say.....

farfan

Mar 12, 2016
I'm not holding them to the same standard as Juve far from it but they certainly should and do hold a very high standard for themselves. This doesn't really reflect those standards and I generally feel these kind of decisions only bite you on the back in the long term. What happened today should be a huge boost for PSG not to Monaco, I hope I'm wrong because I certainly prefer Monaco winning the Ligue 1.
Imo the blame should lie with their technical director for not strengthening their bench. Maybe they didn't expect to make it this far in all competitions.

Just to give you an idea of how thin their squad is:
Guess who can replace Bakayoko at DM? nobody since they don't have another defensive midfielder in the team.
Who can replace Bernardo Silva? Dirar, a 31-year-old scrub they signed when they were in Ligue2.
Who can replace Lemar? nobody since they don't have a natural left winger.
Who can replace Mendy at left back? a 33-year-old slow center back.

The rest are a bunch of scrubs that can't be counted on in any sort of meaningful game, it is really unmanageable in 4 competitions.

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #229
    Monaco :lol2:

As I said, colossal failure if we get knocked out by these scrubs. I shall even turn on EuroMax. Sorry, @Azzurri7 :snoop:
    Don't even let it cross your mind, my father seriously has this in his pocket.

Lets just hope the players don't let him down, specially the strikers.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Monaco are seriously punching above their weight and a stupid calendar from FFF isn't helping them, Spanish organization of this is the smartest, Copa del Rey semifinals are played in february and final in June so their teams can focus on Europe knockouts in the spring, Italians and frogs are damaging their own chances in Europe compared to them

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Don't even let it cross your mind, my father seriously has this in his pocket.

Lets just hope the players don't let him down, specially the strikers.
    Piggy choking scares me. I bet it scares your father too, keeps him up for many sleepless nights. He's thinking that if he still had Alvaro the CL trophy would be in the bag, but with Higgy, he's just not sure. He knows he has the perfect tactics and squad set-up to obliterate any team left, but there's that nagging doubt, that sneaking suspicion, that anxiety clawing away at the very fabric of his psyché... what if Higgy chokes? :scared:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Piggy choking scares me. I bet it scares your father too, keeps him up for many sleepless nights. He's thinking that if he still had Alvaro the CL trophy would be in the bag, but with Higgy, he's just not sure. He knows he has the perfect tactics and squad set-up to obliterate any team left, but there's that nagging doubt, that sneaking suspicion, that anxiety clawing away at the very fabric of his psyché... what if Higgy chokes? :scared:
    Oh Piggy's going to choke Tori Black style. I don't think anyone is doubting that he will. Lucky for us we're so good that it doesn't matter.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    Verratti: 'If I played for Monaco…’

Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti has criticised Monaco for resting players in the Coupe de France ahead of the Juventus game.
    The principality side played youth team players in the semi-final last night, as they are top of Ligue 1 and face the Bianconeri in the Champions League on Wednesday.
    PSG thrashed Leandro Jardim’s side 5-0 to move into the final, but Verratti wasn’t impressed with the attitude of their opponents.

“I enjoyed it because we qualified for the final,” the Italian international told Le Figaro.
    “After that, if I were a Monaco player I’d be annoyed with my club because I always want to win. It’s not every day you get the chance to play a semi-final, it’s a tough road to get there.
    “If you get there, it’s good to compete, not play youth players. It was a bit much, it’s not very respectful to the Coupe de France.
    “That’s their choice, but I really think I’d be annoyed with my club if I were one of the Monégasques.
    “Monaco are having a great League season, there’s nothing to say about that. They’re also doing really well in the Champions League.
    “We’re happy for them, because it’s not easy for a French club to get to the semis, I hope they get to the final and - why not? - win the trophy.
    “They’re having a fantastic season, particularly in Ligue 1, it’s not easy to set this kind of pace. We’ve won almost all of our matches in 2017 but it’s really difficult to catch Monaco.
    “If we can’t win the League we’ll congratulate Monaco and think about next season.
    “Do I still believe in the title after Monaco won at Lyon? I don’t know… the way Lyon played was a bit… it wasn't very normal.
    “Sometimes I saw the Lyon players laughing on the pitch, that wasn’t the case when we met them. But I think if the Monégasques win the title in the end they’ll have deserved it.”
    Verratti has urged PSG to sign star players this summer, but sought to clarify his comments.
    “We know we’re not on the level of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid or Barcelona. It’s true, we can’t lie.
    “But with the arrival of one or two players of a very good level we good make this team grow even more. It’s only been four or five years we’re trying to make a great team, that’s not that long in football.
    “Some teams take longer to acquire the right mentality and experience. If one or two strong players arrive then it would definitely help the team.”
    Yep, Monaco are losers

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    youre missing the point it seems
    No. I read what he said. A case of pot kettle black. He is calling them out on not using their full squad and disrespecting the competition, but what other option did they have? Let's be realistic here. They have nowhere near PSG's depth or budget. Why waste invaluable energy, and risk exhaustion in the two competitions that actually matter to them? Had this been a Ligue 1 game, with Monaco on the verge of winning the title, and they pulled off such a stunt, I'd totally be behind his claims. However, I don't think Monaco value the cup that much. Sure, they ended up losing 5-0 fielding a bunch of youth team players, but PSG lost 6-1 in a tie which they led 4-0 from the first leg, in the biggest European club competition. I think I know who the real losers are in this one.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    No. I read what he said. A case of pot kettle black. He is calling them out on not using their full squad and disrespecting the competition, but what other option did they have? Let's be realistic here. They have nowhere near PSG's depth or budget. Why waste invaluable energy, and risk exhaustion in the two competitions that actually matter to them? Had this been a Ligue 1 game, with Monaco on the verge of winning the title, and they pulled off such a stunt, I'd totally be behind his claims. However, I don't think Monaco value the cup that much. Sure, they ended up losing 5-0 fielding a bunch of youth team players, but PSG lost 6-1 in a tie which they led 4-0 from the first leg, in the biggest European club competition. I think I know who the real losers are in this one.
    Verratti is talking from players perspective though. they have worked hard to reach this stage, and the coach decides to throw it away without any fight even. how would you feel as a player in this team?

they have same number of points as PSG, with a game in hand and a much better goal difference, so they can afford one loss until the end of the season out of 5 games, provided PSG wins them all. they could have gone with a mixed lineup on saturday vs Toulouse, and sub some starters out once they secure the win

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)