Life After Death (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
I guess here is the only possible options:

Heaven: A place which is beautiful beyond our ability to conceive.
Hell: A place where you are tormented and tortured by satan and his demons for eternity
Annihilation: The body rots in the grave and is no more. Your soul and spirit ceases to exist.
Reincarnation: Our soul and spirit are reborn into another living thing.

Each religion has different views on what happens after death.

As far as i know:

Catholic
Believe in heaven, hell and Purgatory, a place where those who have sinned go where they are punished until they are purifed enough to enter heaven. Purgatory is a temportary place, hell is a permanent place for people who have commited a mortal sin.

Christian
Different christian religions have different beliefs. The possibilitys being

1) After death the body decays and the person enters into a state of non-existance where they have no self-awareness. On the second coming of Jesus the dead are resurrected and judged, where it will be decided if they go to heaven or hell.

2) After death the soul leaves the body and is sent to a special kind of holding place. At the time of the second coming they are re-united with there bodies, then judged.

3) After death there is instant transfer of the soul to heaven or hell.

Muslim
After death there is the possibility to go to 'Paradise'. Thats all i know.

---------------------------------------------------------
Are these right?

And what do you believe in?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Aug 1, 2003
In Islam, there's the life in the grave, called the alam barzakh. There you would be either be treated nicely or be tortured, depends on what you have done. Then, when the world has reached its end, everyone will wake up from their graves and gather in the field of Mahsyar, where people from Adam till the end of time is gathered. There your sins and deeds will be counted. If your deeds are more than sins, heaven it is. If your sins are more than deeds, hell it will be. But if you're a Muslim and you have more sins, you would go to hell for a time where you will be punished for your sins and when you're done, you'll go to heaven.

Yeah, I think that sums it up briefly. In Islam we believe that God is merciful and All Knowing, so whatever comes that day will be dealt with justice, for only God knows how good a person you are, plus he is merciful.

OP
Mac

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    No i dont think any religious group believe in annihilation. But alot of people who are not religious do.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    In Islam, there's the life in the grave, called the alam barzakh. There you would be either be treated nicely or be tortured, depends on what you have done. Then, when the world has reached its end, everyone will wake up from their graves and gather in the field of Mahsyar, where people from Adam till the end of time is gathered. There your sins and deeds will be counted. If your deeds are more than sins, heaven it is. If your sins are more than deeds, hell it will be. But if you're a Muslim and you have more sins, you would go to hell for a time where you will be punished for your sins and when you're done, you'll go to heaven.

Yeah, I think that sums it up briefly. In Islam we believe that God is merciful and All Knowing, so whatever comes that day will be dealt with justice, for only God knows how good a person you are, plus he is merciful.
    That's pretty much correct :)

But i'd like to add that it's not for us muslims to say whether a person is surely going to hell or heaven. So, it's not for us to say whether a non-muslim is surely going to hell. God only knows.

Allah promises us a fair trail on judgment day for Allah is most just.

OP
    Mac

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #13
    Well i dont think anyone here has been brainwashed. You dont even have to be religious to believe in afterlife.

Life seems impractical without afterlife to me :)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by McFarlando ] ++
    Life seems impractical without afterlife to me :)
    Life seems pointless without an afterlife to many people. And they're terrified of that, so they wrap this comforting idea of a glorious forever of bliss with mom and dad and poor old Rover, all living in eternal happiness. Pipe dream, IMHO. Sorry to anyone who's offended by that.

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    Life seems to have more meaning without afterlife to me b/c that's all you have .... i don't think anything is gonna happen to me after i die - i'll just die and i won't exist anymore. SO it makes me wanna have more fun while i'm still here

sorry for saying "brainwashed" i didn't mean to offend anyone ... i just know if my parents were really religious they'd make me believe in god and afterlife and a whole lot of otherstuff but they never even tried saying anything like that to me

OP
    Mac

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by MiaWallace ] ++
    sorry for saying "brainwashed" i didn't mean to offend anyone ... i just know if my parents were really religious they'd make me believe in god and afterlife and a whole lot of otherstuff but they never even tried saying anything like that to me
    Yeah maybe up to a certain age. But no doubt you would question and believe what you really believe before long.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Life seems pointless without an afterlife to many people. And they're terrified of that, so they wrap this comforting idea of a glorious forever of bliss with mom and dad and poor old Rover, all living in eternal happiness. Pipe dream, IMHO. Sorry to anyone who's offended by that.
    none taken. on the other hand, however, if an afterlife does exist, then certainly theres something to lose by not achieving it.

redundant, logical extension.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)