Libya 2011 Demonstrations (8 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Libya set to get back $37 billion from U.S.

By Jennifer Liberto @CNNMoney October 20, 2011: 3:45 PM ET

Libya's frozen assets in the United States are ready to be thawed.

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) -- Even before Moammar Gadhafi's death Thursday, the Treasury Department was already starting to thaw some $37 billion worth of frozen Libyan assets to make them available to the new government in Tripoli.
The new Libyan government will get all the money. Eventually.

Earlier this year, the United States froze its piece of what some analysts believe to be as much as $150 billion in assets that had been available to the Gadhafi regime around the world.
Outside of the United States, those assets range from real estate to stakes in the Italian bank UniCredit, the British publisher Pearson, which owns the Financial Times, and Italy's soccer club Juventus.
In September, the United Nations gave the United States the green light to release $1.5 billion in U.S.-held Libyan assets as humanitarian aid to the Transitional National Council, which was recognized as the new government of Libya in July. So far $700 million has been distributed, according to Treasury.
"We remain in close contact with the TNC, the State Department and our international partners, and are committed to releasing assets frozen worldwide in a manner consistent with the wishes of the Government of Libya," a Treasury spokeswoman said.
Last month, Treasury also partially lifted some Libya sanctions. That opened the door for U.S. companies and individuals to do business with the Libyan National Oil Corp. and other companies in Libya, as long as the transactions don't benefit anyone affiliated with the Gadhafi regime.
The question of what to do with the frozen assets has been a big talker in Congress, especially in the wake of mounting budget deficits that have only widened with years of navigating conflict in the Middle East and Africa.
Some lawmakers want to use frozen Libyan assets to reimburse NATO countries for military operations. Others want to link frozen assets to Libyan cooperation with investigations into Gadhafi-era terrorist attacks, according to a Congressional Research Service report released Sept. 29.
Sen. John McCain told CNN on Thursday that, during his visit to Tripoli a few weeks ago, new government officials told him they're willing to reimburse the United States for its role in helping end the Gadhafi regime. So far, that tab has run about $1.2 billion, according to Pentagon and State Department officials.
"Obviously, it's their money," said McCain, in Arizona Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee. "They are willing to reimburse us and our allies. They're obviously are going to be a very wealthy country."
The Transitional National Council has been lobbying for months for a broader release of frozen funds for its use.
And international financial analysts say that, using Iraq as an example, the United States will try to release those funds, which will likely go first to reconstruction, as soon as possible.
"It's anyone's guess on how quickly we can free that up, but they'll probably move pretty quickly," said Glenn Simpson, a senior fellow in corruption and transnational crime at the International Assessment and Strategy Center.
The Congressional Research Service report said the Transitional National Council will be under pressure to maintain order and support for the new regime.
"While a lively political atmosphere has emerged in opposition-controlled areas, political support for the TNC among the broader population may be contingent on the council's ability to provide basic services and financial support via salaries and subsidies," the report stated.
Indeed, the report suggested that the transition period will require "sustained attention and resources beyond the scope of the current fighting."

McCain and other Republicans want the United States to use whatever funds are available to help some 30,000 wounded in the effort to take down the Gadhafi regime. He called it a "key requirement," saying the new Libyan government has told him it would reimburse the United States when it gets access to frozen funds.
"They don't know how to care for these kinds of wounds, we could create enormous goodwill in helping out in that respect," McCain said.
- CNN's Jennifer Rizzo and Jamie Crawford contributed to this report.

Should be interesting to see what happens with Geddaffi's billions. Could be a giant scandal or it could make Libya very wealthy.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
What I don't understand, Fred, is why did the rebels kill both Muammer and Mutassim when they were captured alive? Was it the result of direct orders from NTC? From the videos, they clearly show that both were only slightly injured, Muammer didn't have a bullet in his head and Mutassim didn't have that huge chest hole.

Anyways, congrats my friend, I'm really happy for all Libyans. I called 2 of my Libyan friends in London just today, they looked ecstatic. They haven't been back home for almost 16 months, it's time to build a great Libyan nation.
Thanks for the kind words.

Thje Mutassim thing is really weird, the guy who killed him said that when he was captured he had wounds in the chest and neck, but now the new videos that came out show that he didn't have the neck wound. Strange, it might be so that they executed him.

As for Gedaffi, they executed him according to the doctor who performed the autopsy. Too much anger towards Muammer, and he was caught by Misratans, if you told me before that they'd be the ones to catch him, i'd have bet my house on them executing him.

As for whether the NTC asked for it, i really don't know. One thing is for sure though, Misrata rebels do not take orders from the NTC and they've made that clear several times(differences between the two parties). It was either an individual thing, or the Misratans decided together to execute him instead. Its all a mystery, and theres so many conflicting reports, one time someone comes on TV and tells the story, the next day someone comes out and says a conflicting story. I don't know what to believe anymore.

:tup:

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
After this mess cooled down, I'm very happy for the libyan people to get rid of this tyran and his regime and hope better days will come. But i'm sorry for the way Khadaffi was treated and his sons, that's inhumanity is the reason those people "rebels" are revolting in the first place, to treat a man like that are neither human nor something in our religion ( they were chanting " Allah Akbar). I would've prefered if he and all his compagnons were captured and given a trial so that everybody can hear them and that would be very benificial fot the libyan people not to do the same mistakes.
But i can't say i don't understand those people reaction after 42 years of tyranie, you can imagine.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
He did help Serbia and he was a friend of Yugoslavia before, that does not mean you just forget what he's done to his people and stand by him. You did apologize before, and i accepted the apology because of the relationship between me and you, yet you still make provocative posts from time to time. Timing is important, you should at least wait a while till the wound isn't as fresh as it is now, do you know how many families i know who have lost their children to this criminal?

When you said they will throw him in the sea, you were implying that we will throw him in the sea, because we are the ones that caught him and have him. What do Americans have to do with this?

I'm sorry, but when you make posts like your one at times like these, you should expect that you'd get such a reaction, unless you're ignorant of what has been happening in Libya the past year, let alone the last 42 years.
What's wrong with throwing him in the sea though? Honest question :D

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
:wth: That's not an islamic rituel, inhuman, and every man deserves a propoer burrial.
I don't care if they throw me into the sea :p And that's Gaddafi after all. Didn't honestly get the fuss about Bin Laden either.

Funny that we kill people (good or bad) but we care to give them proper burials. If someone doesn't deserve to live anymore (and we celebrate his death) what's so important about his corpse getting a proper and humane [!] burial?

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
I don't care if they throw me into the sea :p And that's Gaddafi after all. Didn't honestly get the fuss about Bin Laden either.
Even if it's Khaddafi/Ben laden, every man deserves a proper Burrial. They are dead after all, what is the harm if they are burried the right way. Plus it's what's our religion ( islam) tells us is 'اللهم لا شماتة في الموت' .

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
If I die anytime soon I'd like to be buried somewhere where my Mum can sit down next to my grave and talk to me.

If I die old then let my kids decide. Depends how much they love me :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
If I die anytime soon I'd like to be buried somewhere where my Mum can sit down next to my grave and talk to me.

If I die old then let my kids decide. Depends how much they love me :D
Yeah, same here. Personally I don't give a damn how I'm buried but if my family wants to have my grave close, where they can come and cry (or laugh and thank God :D) then they decide what to do. I won't make a will and tell my family how or where to bury me.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I too don't give a damn how I'm buried.

They can throw my dead body to the wolves as far as I am concerned. I am dead anyway.
True. Burning atop a Viking longboat would be pretty cool though.

I think I'll probably settle for cremation then ashes at sea, make myself useful for once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)