• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
Most overrated defender in the world .I am not saying this cause of Milan issue.He was directly responsible for the first Lazio goal.Not covering their player.I still can't understand how is possible him to earn 6+ mil.per year and Chiello only around 4?Giorgio is twice better.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Zonal marking is what has revived Bonucci. He was never the type of CB to check his shoulder and mark a striker. He always wanted to anticipate. And that's his best attribute.

So if you play in a man on man system, you are responsible for your own man and your teammates are not looking at the threat. It's all up to you. Mark him or it's a goal.

But with zonal, everyone is anticipating the same threats.They are all watching the ball. Bonucci, Alex Sandro and Matuidi all saw the same ball coming in. So we had 3 options to stop it instead of just Bonucci. But they all failed.

Now, I think some of that is due to playing with only 3 CMs in front of the defence instead of a more standard 5 midfielders. And I said this a few weeks ago. The backpost is overloaded and the fullback is isolated. Alex Sandro sees the threat to Bonucci but he can't commit as much as he wants to help him because he has to worry about his own situation. Because he's somewhat uncovered himself.

And you watch the ball come in, the player has too much time to aim it. And another big problem with zonal is that if the opposition sets up and aims a perfect ball, you're fucked. Because the opposition knows you're zonal, they go into the softer areas and look for a perfect ball. The best example is actually SMS's goal.

And we don't have any wide players, so the opposition will always have time to aim.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Zonal marking is what has revived Bonucci. He was never the type of CB to check his shoulder and mark a striker. He always wanted to anticipate. And that's his best attribute.

So if you play in a man on man system, you are responsible for your own man and your teammates are not looking at the threat. It's all up to you. Mark him or it's a goal.

But with zonal, everyone is anticipating the same threats.They are all watching the ball. Bonucci, Alex Sandro and Matuidi all saw the same ball coming in. So we had 3 options to stop it instead of just Bonucci. But they all failed.

Now, I think some of that is due to playing with only 3 CMs in front of the defence instead of a more standard 5 midfielders. And I said this a few weeks ago. The backpost is overloaded and the fullback is isolated. Alex Sandro sees the threat to Bonucci but he can't commit as much as he wants to help him because he has to worry about his own situation. Because he's somewhat uncovered himself.

And you watch the ball come in, the player has too much time to aim it. And another big problem with zonal is that if the opposition sets up and aims a perfect ball, you're fucked. Because the opposition knows you're zonal, they go into the softer areas and look for a perfect ball. The best example is actually SMS's goal.

And we don't have any wide players, so the opposition will always have time to aim.
SMS received a similar ball earlier in the match and he had the same control but it was further away from the goal and he couldn't score from that distance. It was before we scored and it looked like Inzaghi did his homework to expose Sarri, something that has become a casual thing in our games now.

As for the wide players, it's a totally different subject of nuisance.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yep especially if players dont jump to clear tha ball.
Funnily enough, he actually had a pretty good jump there, he just wasn’t close enough to the attacker and the cross was on it’s way down, inch perfect. The only way he gets his head on that is if he is right beside the attacker. The issue with zonal marking is you aren’t always going to be right on the attacker, like in man-marking, and when you have Bernadeschi failing miserably to at least contest the cross after falling for a feint, a perfect cross gets sent into the space between three of our defenders where the Lazio attacker is.

This isn’t to say Bonucci is a good man-marker on crosses. He isn’t. Very inconsistent, especially with timing jumps and keeping track of his marker... but in this case the major fault lies with Bernadeschi for losing his guy and allowing all the time in the world for a perfect cross to be made, which makes zonal marking fail badly.

Apr 19, 2007
Yeah Berna was trying to cut off the middle. He went middle and didnt even have to retreat to far back to cross. He has really lost a step. Bonucci is ok when we control the game but struggles when we dont. That has always been the case

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Sandro is decent defensively, He had a good season in that regard and can hold off challenges
Sandro has become a beast in defense. I doubt there is a better defensive LB in Europe atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I don't like it when people on this forum call Brazilian players unloyal, selfish and attention seeking.
Alex Sandro is one of the most down to earth guys you'll see playing for a top team. And Costa does a lot of charity work during his free time.

Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Sandro has become a beast in defense. I doubt there is a better defensive LB in Europe atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I don't like it when people on this forum call Brazilian players unloyal, selfish and attention seeking.
Alex Sandro is one of the most down to earth guys you'll see playing for a top team. And Costa does a lot of charity work during his free time.
It's mostly suppressed white Euro males.

Brazilians in general seem very down to earth and big on socializing (kinda same with other south American players).

Some euros with ubermensch (inferiority) complex look down at them because of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)