Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 5, 2007
Drogba was pure worldclass, i dont know why i need to argue about it.

of course not so long like alex.
You said it :D and that my point.

I didnt say he is not world class ib his prime, but the put a player performa 5-7 years of wc in his career next to a player do 10-15 years wc in the same ranks is not right.

A player born talent and he is top player since he is 17-18 and give 20 years of awesomeness like buffon should not be in the same rank with dida who play 5-7 of wc.

Then we should say buffon is legendary level, dida world wc for 5 years :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I have the same opinion of him as I do of Hummels. Both are very good on the ball, excellent readers of the game, intelligent defenders, and are a great asset when you're a team that likes to build attacks from defense(which Juve are), but both are not very good tacklers, I don't know if I'm saying this right, but I don't consider them to be a pure defender like a Chiellini, John Terry, or Diego Godin is. That being said, when you pair the kind of defender Bonucci is, with someone like Chiellini who compliments him well, they complete each other and make a perfect partnership. Personally I'm fond of defenders like Bonucci and Hummels, I enjoy watching them play because they're so intelligent, but like I said, they always need to be paired with a more physical presence, a strong tackler.

Bonucci seems to have cut out the lapses of concentration he was prone to before too.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I have the same opinion of him as I do of Hummels. Both are very good on the ball, excellent readers of the game, intelligent defenders, and are a great asset when you're a team that likes to build attacks from defense(which Juve are), but both are not very good tacklers, I don't know if I'm saying this right, but I don't consider them to be a pure defender like a Chiellini, John Terry, or Diego Godin is. That being said, when you pair the kind of defender Bonucci is, with someone like Chiellini who compliments him well, they complete each other and make a perfect partnership. Personally I'm fond of defenders like Bonucci and Hummels, I enjoy watching them play because they're so intelligent, but like I said, they always need to be paired with a more physical presence, a strong tackler.

Bonucci seems to have cut out the lapses of concentration he was prone to before too.
Pretty much the way I feel. If you expose Bonucci or Hummels and ask them to defend for their lives they will fail miserably. But most CBs would fail miserably in those situations nowadays. It's a good thing Allegri made Bonucci's ball distribution job simpler as well.

Like I said, I give Bonucci my full respect but he still has weaknesses (in the air and 1 on 1s). He fits this current team really well though.

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
Bonucci had a great season, considering his limited abilities, it was imo his first season that he actually improved and thats particularly because of his CL performances and the rarests brainfarts of his.
It it good that he knows his defensive incapabilities and avoids defending at times, so that his teammates can act like he is not even there, but when the opposition defenders try to expoit it, both tactically and individually, we are in trouble.
Thats why i didnt like him in the final, his first 25minutes were poor imo, the team was pressed hard in the defense and he failed to make any impact defensively. As i am old school Italian fan, i will never rate a CB that cant defend.
Bonucci is avoiding to make mistakes and thats indirectly usefull, he tries to contribute with his small passing game and make him self usefull and occassionally he uses he height and thats it.
He is still unable to man mark, perform sliding tackles, intercept dangerous sliding or air balls abd effectively stop his man in his area of control in our box, so in my books he is a liability, i cannot rate a CB with CM criteria, he has improved his CM skills, but not his CB IMO, untill i see him defending properly and stopping his man, personally, i will not rate him.

However he has now turned into the peaking era of the CB, even mediocre CBs like Legrotaglie, become Juve material then, they use their experience to read the game and intercept the opposition plans at their birth.
I believe in the coming 2 years Bonucci's defensive skills will bloom! He might never learn how to tackle and never deposess a SS, but he could effectively learm how to intercept balls heading to the opposition CFs.
That means though he can never lead our defence, organize its pushing forward maybe, but orchistrating a defensive plans, requires some tackle skills, experience to close down the gaps younger defenders and fullbacks missed,
since Bonucci can hardly cope with his own defensive duties, he will never be able to offer that surplus of defensive solidarity, so we must always ensure that he is at all times paired with a capable to defensive duties CB.
Barza and Chiellini are great defenders, maybe among the best right now, but they have fitness issues and soon Barza could only be used as a sub, as he will be 35yo in the coming year.
Caceres is a decent replacement for such duties and complement a more offensive profile, yet as it has been proved several times this season, when both Chiellini and Barza are missing from our starter eleven, there is a distinct lack of defensive solidarity that cannot be replaced. In two years from now, that hole in our and the NT defence will be probably lessened by Bonucci's improved defensive abilities.
We have invested a lot to get him here, soon we will start savouring the grapes of our sacrifices.
This is what i meant when i said that he should be loaned out untill he becomes of age, this is the moment that we should get him back!
Hopefully the next season will be a breakthrough for his defensive capabilities, hopefully he will be appreciated, not only for his passing game, but also his defensive work, hopefully his contribution will not be only an undirect supporting role, but an active one, where he will stand his ground and stop the opposition strikers himself!
You know what, I've got to give Cron this one.

I don't agree with most of what he said (I think he was saying he should have been loaned out 'til now... when surely he improved by playing in the CL and with Barza, Chiello and Gigi?!).

BUT he actually backed up his points this time, rather than just simple trolling.

"Here's what I think, and here's why I think that" rather than "he sucked".

And @Cronios I actually do think you're right that positioning and stuff improving probably has a lot to do with his experience.

(And I say this as a long-time Bonucci fan)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
a relatively young player improved by starting games for a top team for 3-4 years. what a surprise.

also, i bet he said somewhere there he cant tackle. ask Messi, i bet he disagrees ;)

and i havent read that but i bet its full of bullshit. "Cronios backed up his points" :lol:

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
a relatively young player improved by starting games for a top team for 3-4 years. what a surprise.
That was my point

also, i bet he said somewhere there he cant tackle. ask Messi, i bet he disagrees ;)

and i havent read that but i bet its full of bull$#@!. "Cronios backed up his points" :lol:
I'm not saying his points were right.

But usually he just says "horrible game tonight", without giving any reason why (or saying things which are just so plainly trolling)

He did say he couldn't tackle. I disagree entirely.

But he did give some reasons for his points. You can disagree (as I do), but this wasn't a troll Cronios post, he expressed his opinion well. It just happens to be one I don't agree with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 245)