Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
If it wouldn't be sad for us it will be very comic seeing him partnering Ogbonna against Chievo.It's a fierce competition who is a bigger error prone and who got worst positioning.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
If it wouldn't be sad for us it will be very comic seeing him partnering Ogbonna against Chievo.It's a fierce competition who is a bigger error prone and who got worst positioning.
Ogbonna grouped with Bonucci for the rest of his career. :sergio:

Ogbonna is about twice the speed, twice as physical, wins twice as many headers and commits 1 error for every 4 or 5 that Bonucci commits.

Bonucci is a better sweeper, that's about it.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
This guy owes us at least 3 great performances in the group stages

Hopefully without a goal leaking blunder giving some awful team an early lead, allowing them to park the bus against us big time.

Sick of us conceding early goals in Europe tbh

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
Ogbonna grouped with Bonucci for the rest of his career. :sergio:

Ogbonna is about twice the speed, twice as physical, wins twice as many headers and commits 1 error for every 4 or 5 that Bonucci commits.

Bonucci is a better sweeper, that's about it.
Hopefully they will play together just for this game.Not a single more.What benefit we have if we assume that Ogbonna is a less error prone than Leo?
He is a error prone and one of the worst positioning defenders in a game.
Definitely not worth what we payed for him.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Hopefully they will play together just for this game.Not a single more.What benefit we have if we assume that Ogbonna is a less error prone than Leo?
He is a error prone and one of the worst positioning defenders in a game.
Definitely not worth what we payed for him.
Do you know what our Serie A record is with Ogbonna starting?

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
This is like debating whether you'd rather die via fire or dismemberment

Both have been absolutely crap last season and in pre-season, Both can cost you the match in the blink of an eye and neither should start for us

One would be ok as a bench option, that's it.

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
More or less that's what I mean.But having them both in first 11 like we will against Chievo is ultra bad.Okay is Chievo it's not RM but anyway.Both of them are useless and having both in starting 11 -disaster.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
This is like debating whether you'd rather die via fire or dismemberment

Both have been absolutely crap last season and in pre-season, Both can cost you the match in the blink of an eye and neither should start for us

One would be ok as a bench option, that's it.
13 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses with Ogbonna starting. 7 goals against. Not only has he not cost us a match personally but we haven't lost with him at all in Serie A.

So I don't know how you can say he could cost us a match when he's literally never done it unlike Bonucci. I just don't like players getting shit on unnecessarily. Ogbonna could turn out to be total shit but so far he's done nothing to warrant all this criticism in my eyes.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
The other way to look at it is we don't trust him to play important games because he's a liability.

Also half of 'costing us a match' is up to the other team to punish the mistakes

Fortunately we're often playing against some crap, slow lone striker who's being completely shut down by our entire defence, so any mistakes can be rectified before it's too late.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
The biggest problem is that they both (Ogbonna and Bonucci) aren't defensive leaders. You can notice it in Chiellini and Barzagli but the other two always need someone better beside them. Someone who will lead them.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
That would change quickly once Ogbonna starts some difficult games.
Or maybe not. But until he actually fucks up in a game I think we need to relax and give him a chance.

We played Fiorentina, Napoli and 3 EL games with him starting. We gave up 1 goal. I don't know if you call those difficult.

He played LB vs. Real Madrid. That was our only loss with him starting. He was actually quite good in that game if I remember.

I don't know. I just see this constant bitching about this guy and talking about him like he's Bonucci when Bonucci literally has passed the ball to the other team's striker and the striker then scored on us. And it cost us the game.

Whereas Ogbonna hasn't come close to doing something like that. I really like his physical attributes so I want to give him a chance.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You only need to watch him to see he loses concentration easily, which is a shame because he has everything else to be a top central defender, but it's a crucial part.

I'm all for giving players more time, but that sort of thing comes naturally.

If we are playing a back four then as I said before, Bonucci would be last choice for me, but I expect Ogbonna will make mistakes. At sweeper Bonucci is easily our best option. He will make mistakes, but anyone there will, and you will see that if Ogbonna ever gets a run there. The position is about responsibility and risk.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
You only need to watch him to see he loses concentration easily, which is a shame because he has everything else to be a top central defender, but it's a crucial part.

I'm all for giving players more time, but that sort of thing comes naturally.

If we are playing a back four then as I said before, Bonucci would be last choice for me, but I expect Ogbonna will make mistakes. At sweeper Bonucci is easily our best option. He will make mistakes, but anyone there will, and you will see that if Ogbonna ever gets a run there. The position is about responsibility and risk.
Well Ogbonna played 9 of his 14 Serie A matches at sweeper that's why I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for his time here because as you said it's a position prone to errors. And he never played the position before in his career. He didn't play a single match in a back 4 as a CB for us so I don't know how we can properly judge him negatively just yet, especially since our team did not suffer at all with him at sweeper despite it being uncomfortable for him.

Of course he has his faults. I agree his concentration is not always there. It could be because at times he didn't know what the fuck was going on in a 3 man defence.

But it's not like he was getting skinned and putting in ridiculous challenges with his back to the attacker (Bonucci) or sending a striker straight in on goal (Bonucci) or failing to jump on multiple set pieces (Bonucci).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 15, Guests: 478)