Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Lol

He was at least top 3 CB in the world with us. Milan is in shambles. Put Chiello or Medhi, or even Barza in there, and they will fail. Maybe not so miserably, because there are better as pure CBs, but still fail. Capello is an old fart, fuck him, he had the best roster in the world with us and achieved nothing.

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #19,943
    Capello did bad here, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's wrong saying that. Because Bonucci is seriously a horrible defender. He's showing it at Milan, it's the old Bonucci that was getting his ass covered by Chiellini and Barza who were getting lesser credit just so he can pass the ball.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
    Capello did bad here, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's wrong saying that. Because Bonucci is seriously a horrible defender. He's showing it at Milan, it's the old Bonucci that was getting his ass covered by Chiellini and Barza who were getting lesser credit just so he can pass the ball.
    :tup:

It's exactly as Capello said - with the ball at Bonucci's feet he's top 3 in the World but as a defender he's very far from it.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
    Bonucci was a great defender in Bari, paired with Ranoccia. So Ranoccia was covering his ass?
    Bonbon is slow as hell, has terrible acceleration and, because of that, huge problems in mano a mano situations. But he is a WC CB in almost any other department.

OP
    Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #19,946
    Bonucci was a great defender in Bari, paired with Ranoccia. So Ranoccia was covering his ass?
    Bonbon is slow as hell, has terrible acceleration and, because of that, huge problems in mano a mano situations. But he is a WC CB in almost any other department.
    Well, IMO you can't be a world class defender if you don't know how to defend.

Oh and even if someone is good at smaller clubs doesn't mean he's a good player for big boys. And he still had his flaws in Bari too.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
    Well, IMO you can't be a world class defender if you don't know how to defend.
    Why do you think so? It's not a street basketball when you always need to defend your man one on one. Bonbon has great anticipation, positioning (remember "trailing leg"? well he didn't do it for a while), air game etc.
    I see where you are coming from. But I can't agree with a notion that he was only good here because Chiello or Barza covered him. He was good, because he is good.
    And fuck Capello again.

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
    Dec 23, 2012
    Capello: 'Bonucci can't defend'
    By Football Italia staff

Fabio Capello gave a damning description of Milan and Italy star Leonardo Bonucci. “He’s great with the ball at his feet, but he can’t defend.”

The former Juventus centre-back has struggled since the €42m transfer to San Siro this summer.

“Bonucci is the best Italian defender with the ball at his feet, in fact one of the best three in the world,” Capello told Sky Sport Italia.

“There’s a big problem, though: he can’t defend. He had the ideal situation at Juventus when he played as a sweeper. He is perfect in a three-man defence, but struggles when there are four.”
    :agree: absolutely correct

- - - Updated - - -

Barza was the best of the BBC in my opinion, just amazing consistency, really incredible how underrated a player can be, id argue most underrated player in the world for a period of time, every time people mentioned great defenders I hardly heard him mentioned, I think Chiellini is underrated among our supports tbh.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    Capello is an idiot. this was their starting lineup vs Atalanta:

Donnarumma
    Abate Bonucci Musacchio Rodríguez
    Kessié Montolivo Bonaventura
    Borini Kalinić Cutrone

you expect this lineup to do well defensively? where is the protection from the midfield or wings? or even the fullbacks? you cant expect of Bonucci to defend well in a team that has no identity. they just put a team of random names together few months ago, they play without a real coach, they play bunch of youngsters and past their prime mediocrity. Villarreal had the 2nd best defense in La Liga last season, was that because Victor Ruiz or Mario Gaspar were covering Musacchios ass all the time? its all about organization and balance, which are both terrible at Milan, so anyone would struggle to keep the team in tact. this is in no way on Bonucci

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
    Capello is an idiot. this was their starting lineup vs Atalanta:

Donnarumma
    Abate Bonucci Musacchio Rodríguez
    Kessié Montolivo Bonaventura
    Borini Kalinić Cutrone

you expect this lineup to do well defensively? where is the protection from the midfield or wings? or even the fullbacks? you cant expect of Bonucci to defend well in a team that has no identity. they just put a team of random names together few months ago, they play without a real coach, they play bunch of youngsters and past their prime mediocrity. Villarreal had the 2nd best defense in La Liga last season, was that because Victor Ruiz or Mario Gaspar were covering Musacchios ass all the time? its all about organization and balance, which are both terrible at Milan, so anyone would struggle to keep the team in tact. this is in no way on Bonucci
    If Bonucci was a top 3 defender, Musachio the hype he made out to be, Rodriguez being so called class and Kessie the ol' reliable dm then yes
    but meelan livin a lie

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I think what Capello is saying is that Bonucci cannot save himself. We know that. He is not Nesta or Cannavaro, but no defender these days is. All the top defenders now need to play in a good and settled system. What is true is that Bonucci is one of the worst if left to fend for himself, you do not want the guy constantly facing people running at and around him, he's a stand up defender who works well in a unit, whether that's three (better) or two central defenders.

I said it all the time when he played in a back three with us, he will be the guy who is made to look stupid either because of a slack possession or being caught out individually and the reason for that is that he tries to take responsibility all the time and leaves himself exposed. He is not a true defender and is never going to be, and yes having Barzagli especially did help him.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    Leonardo Bonucci made the move from Juve to Milan in the summer, and Buffon was also asked about that.

“I love Leo like a brother, because even in his excesses I love him. He has healthy values and, put in a certain context, that’s a point of strength, an incredible resource.

“The Juventus environment was perfect for him, I was sorry that he left because it seemed to be the choice of an impulsive and proud man.

“Every now and then we talk and I told him that, he replied that he wasn’t impulsive, that he made a well thought-out choice.

“Leo thrives on challenges and he had to reignite the fire with a bold and unpopular choice.

“I respect him but I’m disappointed, and I think even he is very sorry.”
    Kinda interesting as Gigi is usually less vocal about something personal like this.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Lol

He was at least top 3 CB in the world with us. Milan is in shambles. Put Chiello or Medhi, or even Barza in there, and they will fail. Maybe not so miserably, because there are better as pure CBs, but still fail. Capello is an old fart, fuck him, he had the best roster in the world with us and achieved nothing.
    Chiello has been among our best players ever since we came back from Serie B during all the Ranieri, Ferrara, Zaccheroni and Del Neri years, I don't think he'd fail at this Milan, he's a great defender regardless of the circumstances.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
    Chiello has been among our best players ever since we came back from Serie B during all the Ranieri, Ferrara, Zaccheroni and Del Neri years, I don't think he'd fail at this Milan, he's a great defender regardless of the circumstances.
    Nah, he would do better than Bonbon, because as a pure defender he is better, but would've failed anyway. Chiello would've slipped or given the ball away or another brainfart Chiello-like. Confidence and organization is a receipt for good defense, add quality players, and you have yourself a great one.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Nah, he would do better than Bonbon, because as a pure defender he is better, but would've failed anyway. Chiello would've slipped or given the ball away or another brainfart Chiello-like. Confidence and organization is a receipt for good defense, add quality players, and you have yourself a great one.
    Why Chiellini didn't look like a fail in the pre-Conte era though? We sure as hell didn't have a good defense when we finished 7th twice, yet it was clear as day that the guy is a WC defender. Capello is a dick and I'll never forgive him for ruining 2 years of Del Piero's career, but he's right about Bonucci being a joke for Milan, that's not how good, let alone WC defender players regardless of the situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)