Lennon Quits After Death Threat (1 Viewer)

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
Celtic midfielder Neil Lennon has announced his retirement from international football following the death threat - allegedly from the Loyalist Volunteer Force - that forced him to withdraw from Wednesday's friendly against Cyprus.

Lennon had been named skipper of Northern Ireland for the first time, but pulled out after being informed of the death threat.

The 31-year-old has been singled out for abuse since signing for Celtic in a £5.75million move from Leicester City in December 2000.

Lennon thought the worst was behind him after being jeered 18 months ago against Norway which forced him to consider his international future.

A hero`s welcome on his next international outing suggested he was right to carry on, but yesterday's events have left him with no alternative.

"My parents were pretty distraught really," he explained. "I've a tiny wee daughter who knows nothing about this at the moment and we want to try and keep her away from it as much as we can.

"I've thought long and hard about it and I've decided I probably won't be going back to play for Northern Ireland.

"I've enjoyed my career at international level, but it's time for me to say enough's enough."

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, himself a former captain of Northern Ireland, backed the midfielder he took with him from Leicester to Parkhead.

"I am fully supportive of what Neil has done," he told the club's official website. "He was looking forward very much to captaining his country, something which would have been a great honour for him.

"Going to play for your country should be an enjoyable experience, not a chore, but in serious circumstances like these it no longer becomes sport.

"Neil has obviously agonised over this decision with his family and the conclusion he has come to is one that I understand and respect."

Buy on AliExpress.com

nina

Feb 18, 2001
You actually agree with this, that football is just a game? From what I have read, I have been following it far less time than you and it's anything but just a game to me.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
You actually agree with this, that football is just a game? From what I have read, I have been following it far less time than you and it's anything but just a game to me.
:)

OP
Mac

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    well the article did forget to mention how he said he 'wants an all ireland football team'. Not exactly the smartest thing to say from the NI captain infront of NI supporters. Oh and before that he joined celtic. Hardly a way to become a fans favourite. But no matter what this is too much and uncalled for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)