Language Threads (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
This is a moderator announcement - any issues please contact either myself or one of the team to discuss your problem further :)

LANGUAGE THREADS

Over the past few weeks or so, as I'm sure you're well aware we've had several issues with the language threads being started up, sometimes in mickey taking fashion, and sometimes as a place for some good discussion. Admittedly we may have had this wrong on occasion such as with the American Juve thread where up until a point we had a superb political debate taking place which I enjoyed reading and participating in to a degree.

We may have also made a certain error in not looking at the long standing threads sooner, ie the likes of Arabic Juve, Chinese Juve etc.

In future, if some decent disussion is going on in there, falling into the following categories:

- Open to all members
- English language (see forum rules)
- Non-gossip orientated
- Not just hoards of pictures

then the thread will be allowed to remain open, we have no problem with such threads existing and they acually add a great deal of cultural and political enlightenment to many of our members, myself included, who are interested in such things. What we don't want are threads with going on 50 pages or so with writing in a foreign language, mostly because it excludes the majority of the members of this forum and also due to the rule about English being the number one language.

I think its a bit late to go trawling through these threads moderating them all since they've become so big, but having read a bit of the Chinese thread I can see there's potential there if the gossip is cut to a minimum at least. Gossip is, of course as we keep saying, not really welcome here, its not what we're all about, and besides msn messenger is that easily accessible you can chat to your heart's content.

What I've decided to do then, is to delete all the language threads in question, but with an open invitation to start up new threads provided they stick to the guidelines set in this post.

This is mostly due to their size and we obviously don't want to appear discriminatory by closing some and leaving others open.

Any questions will be answered in this thread or by PM with any of the moderators

Thanks for reading :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
alright.. i would start a german thread but my german writing is so bad i swear..

unglablich scheisse, ich sage zu dir! ;)

Len

Feb 13, 2004
so are thoseee spanish, arabic and chinese threads closed forever? Or are you gonna open them again?

OP
Tom

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++
    so are thoseee spanish, arabic and chinese threads closed forever? Or are you gonna open them again?
    They are gone, but as I said, if people want to set up a new thread to talk about their country then its fine so long as basically its in English and its not just gossip and pictures :)

Andy, I put in all this effort and you reply with that ... I should have guessed at that from you :p;)

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #7
    My comp kinda crashed while I was doing it, hold tight :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

They are gone, but as I said, if people want to set up a new thread to talk about their country then its fine so long as basically its in English and its not just gossip and pictures :)

Andy, I put in all this effort and you reply with that ... I should have guessed at that from you :p;)
    :LOL: Just giving ya a hard time Tom. :D

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by MISS DUBAI ] ++
    ok tom,so if we open a new "Arab Juve" thread,like,we should talk english?as in no arabic allowed?
    And if you talk about Arab culture or countries, not chit-chat about everything else; yes.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Of course, talking about Arabic football would be most welcome. I think it's a good idea not to exclude the rest of the forum. Instead of just chit-chatting in Arabic, why not teach the rest of us about everything to do with arabs etc? :D

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #19
    ++ [ originally posted by MISS DUBAI ] ++
    aha,i see :) what about arab football?
    If I'm not mistaken we already have an Asian football thread in misc soccer, I'm sure y'all can talk about the Arabic leagues in there :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)