Jul 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++

after a few minor adjustments,it should look like this:
_______________Buffon______________

Pessotto___Cannavaro___Nesta_______Coco

____Zambrotta__Ambrosini__Fiore________

________________Del Piero_______________

_____________Vieri____Montella________
I could agree with this lineup, however, unless Totti is in a wheelchair, Trap will ALWAYS have him out there !!!

btw- Pippo is making a great case for being a starter !!!

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
a NEW, very new lineup:

-------------------del piero--------inzaghi-----------------

------------------------macarone/cassano----------------

-----------maresca--------brighi--------------conte-------

-------pessotto-----nesta-----canavarro-------moretti

---------------------------buffon------------------------------

note!!!- the real lineup by me is on first page.
this only a test linup should be play on a friendly match and from time to time use the young players and conte on real games- if they play good on friendlies.

the days conte played were teriffic (remember the goal against turkey on euro 2000!).
maresca, moretti, brighi macarone and cassano are hot prospect for the future (especially cassano).
the lineup can include pirlo, sculli, di vaio and dalla bona (on friendly matches).
and cudicini can play instead buffon on friendly.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #44
    -----------------------------------Buffon
    ---------------------Cannavaro-------Nesta
    ----Bonera--------------------------------------------------Moretti
    ------------------------------------Pirlo
    -------Brighi----------------------------------------------Ambrosini
    ------------------------------------Totti
    ---------------------Inzaghi/Vieri-----Del Piero

That's my squad for the actual Euro 2004,not the qualifiers,but the actual tournament,that is why they are plenty of young players such as Bonera,Moretti,Pirlo and Brighi in the squad. In 2 years time,when Euro 2004 starts,those players should have fully developed and be ready for a starting place in the NT. I have seen Pirlo play in the defensive midfield position for Milan and he looked really impressive. He can defend,and his play making insticts (long balls,dribbles) make him a very dangerous player.

Riff

Sep 5, 2002
    ----------------Buffon-----------------------------
    Coco-----Cannavaro-----nesta-------panucci

Fiore------Tacchinardi-----Tommassi
    ----------Del piero------
    Baggio----Montella

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    ................................Buffon.........................................

..........................Nesta, Cannavaro,.....................

Panucci...................................................................Coco

....................................Pirlo..........................................

................Tommasi.......................Gattuso..................

.....................................Baggio..........................................

...................Del Piero........................Montella.........................

P.S.: That's 4 Italy vs Yugoslavia and Galles wheare Totti, Vieri and Inzaghi will probably be out.
    xxx must be a central defender maybe Materazzi or Juliano you can choose cause I don't like both of them anycase.....

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++
    -----------------------------------Buffon
    ---------------------Cannavaro-------Nesta
    -------Brighi----------------------------------------------Ambrosini

That's my squad for the actual Euro 2004,not the qualifiers,but the actual tournament,that is why they are plenty of young players such as Bonera,Moretti,Pirlo and Brighi in the squad. In 2 years time,when Euro 2004 starts,those players should have fully developed and be ready for a starting place in the NT. I have seen Pirlo play in the defensive midfield position for Milan and he looked really impressive. He can defend,and his play making insticts (long balls,dribbles) make him a very dangerous player.
    Not bad :thumb:

my alterations:

---------------------Nesta---------------Cannavaro
    -------Zambrotta--------------------------------------------Brighi

but i doubt that Moretti and Bonera will get much chance to play enough till 2004.....

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
    Pirlo needs somebody with him in the centre. I don't think he's good enough to hold the midfield by himself. Perhaps Ambrosini/Gattuso could partner him. This means Moretti wouldn't start.

3-5-2 fomation. I just feel Italy should stick to that.

Note: Bonera can play centre right?

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

I could agree with this lineup, however, unless Totti is in a wheelchair, Trap will ALWAYS have him out there !!!

btw- Pippo is making a great case for being a starter !!!
    I TOLD YOU GUYS THAT TRAP WOULD HAVE TOTTI IN THE LINEUP , INJURED OR NOT !!!!

IF TOTTI IS HURT, THEN WHY HAVE HIM THERE ??????

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #52
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

Not bad :thumb:

my alterations:

---------------------Nesta---------------Cannavaro
    -------Zambrotta--------------------------------------------Brighi

but i doubt that Moretti and Bonera will get much chance to play enough till 2004.....
    I had the exact team in my mind,but I decided that I would stick with some of the more experienced players like Coco and Ambrosini instead of trying out the youngsters such as Moretti,Bonera and Brighi just yet. That lineup will be perfect for the actual tournament in 2004 as Moretti,Brighi,Bonera,etc should have fully developed,my only change would be including Gattuso or Ambrosini rather than Zambrotta.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++

I had the exact team in my mind,but I decided that I would stick with some of the more experienced players like Coco and Ambrosini instead of trying out the youngsters such as Moretti,Bonera and Brighi just yet. That lineup will be perfect for the actual tournament in 2004 as Moretti,Brighi,Bonera,etc should have fully developed,my only change would be including Gattuso or Ambrosini rather than Zambrotta.
    I have to ask this as I am totally confused, why in the blue hell will you play Gatusso ahead of Zambrotta ? Am i missing something here, should i start to watch Gatusso for other qualities rather than what a footballer should have, I mean simple ball control, passing , not talking the Becks kind of pass or the Zz defence splitting pass, just pass the ball to your team mate who is 4 yards away from you without over hitting it or misdirecting it

And all that misplaced aggression, of wanting to start or finish a fight in every single game, is that really a requirement of a footballer

There are too many midfileders who are far superior to this guy, Tedesco of Perugia is way better, Blasi though young is as well, Brighi, Donati , Tacchinardi, Giannichedda, Fiore, Corrini, Manfredini, Albertini, Pirlo, Conte, Ambrosini, Di biagio, Tomassi, Zanetti and Maresca to name a few

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that most of the Azzurri always represent the biggest clubs, whether or not they deserve to? The selection made should be in the best interest of the national team, it's not about picking the most popular faces.

Jacquet in his time dropped Cantona and Ginola, THE icons at the time, but 3-4 years when Jacquet was world champion, noone had a problem with it. Of course the comparison is inadequate, the Azzurri are on a much higher level than Les Bleus were when Jacquet took over.

And time and time again we see Gattuso, Tommasi, Zanetti, Di Biagio, Panucci, Iuliano, Materazzi. And more often than not they all receive mediocre ratings. I would rotate them and add some new faces. Currently the team is (or should be) in a rebuilding phase. Although the argument of the best teams having the best players is true, Roma for instance, is not a very Italian team. Their most important players are not Italian, why should the rest automatically make the Italy squad? Inter (ironically) play more Italians, Di Biagio usually makes the lineup, Coco with Cannavaro and Materazzi play in defence, Adani does too sometimes.

From a Juve point of view, we had a lot of players around Euro2000 time. And I think it was more warranted. Conte I thought was quite good, at least at Euro2000. Pessotto is a solid player and the applies to his international game, though we all know his offensive limitations. Zambrotta is just about the best right wing in the country so few options for Trap. On the other hand, Iuliano is always a gamble and I would not call him up. At club level he's a good sub, but we're talking about the national team, they are supposed to be the best players in the country! Tacchinardi never proved himself at NT level and is not picked anymore.

But is it so inconceivable that there could be better candidates out there? Players with lesser names who would be more keen to make a great effort for the Azzurri. Zauri is called sometimes now, although Coco is not a bad alternative in his place. Oddo had to wait for his big club transfer to finalize before he got his chance. Doni has been on the fringe of the team for a while but never really convinced anyone, Liverani and Fiore are long since forgotten.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    But it can be dangerous to simply call up a dozen of new players, Martin! There is a certain amount of pressure on the international level one must deal with and the better way is through experience.

Sure you can put new players in but not all at once or in too short a period. Furthermore you must be willing to give them more than one chance as only very few players play well in their first couple of international matches.

Perhaps now is the time to do it then. The next Euro qualifier is in March and there are some interesting friendlies coming up; I know from the Dutch FA that there's an invitation on an Italian desk somewhere for a friendly Holland-Italy in the Amsterdam ArenA in January for starters!

So yes, let's get some new players but we must be careful not to loose balance in the team (for as far as that's still there)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)