LA COPPA: Perugia - Juventus (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
No, seriously, I'm not happy at all. Our defence was very bad. Iuliano was especially horrid, while Thuram was also bad. He was supposed to mark Manfredini on that goal. IMO Zalayeta was our best player, and he was playing as a winger!!!

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
No, seriously, I'm not happy at all. Our defence was very bad. Iuliano was especially horrid, while Thuram was also bad. He was supposed to mark Manfredini on that goal. IMO Zalayeta was our best player, and he was playing as a winger!!!
I told you, Zalayeta is always good in Coppa Italia!

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
i wander if we get to next round will lippi start playing the full squad, i'd love to see what the silver star is like. it'id be sweet.,

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I wasnt at all pleased with our performance. Lippi started off with a flat 4-4-2 formation, with Zalayeta as right midfielder an Maresca as left midfielder, altho he did drift into centre from time to time to try to support the strikers. This left Appiah and Tacchinardi alone in the centre of midfield which of course ment we were all but harmless down both flanks. Neither Maresca nor Zalayeta are wingers, altho IMO the latter did a better job. The flanks also lacked support from defence as Pessotto hardly even crossed the halfway line, and Thuram didnt have one good cross (he actually had only one or two crosses total). Miccoli seemed like our most agile player, he often went back into midfield to pick up balls and organize an attack, but could not do anything without the proper support. Di Vaio was mostly up in the attack waiting.

Now the defence is a special story by itself. As a whole it seemed full of holes. The only player that had a good game was Legrotagglie. Iuliano was HORRID, Thuram bad, while Pessoto was invisible. Iuliano musnt not be played again unless there is a freak injury crisis or all of our defenders, including Fresi, are kidnapped by druged up aliens!!! He missed tackle after tackle, screwed up the offside trap on many occasions and almost gave away a penalty (IMO it was a clear penalty but luckily the ref didnt see it that way). Thuram also did poorly on stopping attacks on hs flank and left Manfredini unmarked on Perugia's goal. Things looked up a bit when Zambrotta entered play and gave us more presence on the left, while Pessotto took Thuram's place on the right. Thuram was replaced by Camoranesi late in the second half, while Zambrotta entered the pitch instead of Appiah in the 65th minute. After that Zambrotta played left back, Camoranesi right wing, while Zalayeta switched to the left. Maresca and tacchinardi played in centre midfield.

Chimenti - 6
Didnt really have much to do, mostly collecting crosses and a few long range shots. He could have done better on Manfredini's goal but it was by no means his fault. All in all an OK performance, nothing special, but OK.

Pessotto - 5
Did absolutley nothing, was completely invisible, in offence and defence both. He did nothing worth mentioning in defence, while he hardly crossed the half way line. If Zambrotta's shoes are size 12, Pessotto would barelly fill up size 6. There are a lot of numbers in between, as is the difference in class.

Thuram - 5
Pretty bad. I've already much about him. He did not help in offense very much, and was very very slow on getting back from attack. He left Manfredini unmarked on Perugia's goal, and had in general a hard time stopping Perugia's attack, bad as it is.

Legrottaglie - 7
The only somewhat solid player in defence. He started the game a bit shakey, but improved as the game progressed. He had a few good headers and interceptions in defence. He also did well in offence, setting up and assisting for Zalayeta's goal after a Miccoli free kick.

Iuliano - 2
Horrid, nothing less than horrid. My previous lowest mark was a 3 for Camoranesi, but Iuliano completely deserves this one. If we had been playing any other team, anybody with at least an average attack he would have been destroyed, and attack like Milan's would have raped him to death. He missed tackle after tackle, gave away a free kick just outside the area, almost gave away a penalty, and fvcked up offside trap after offside trap. Simply horrid IMO.

Zambrotta - 6
Wasnt in the game very long (25 minutes) so he didnt have time to do anything special, but he was a great improvement from Pessotto. He showed will and energy and made a few of his trademark runs down the left altho without effect. I would have loved to have seen him from the start.

Maresca - 6
Didnt do very much. He's not a replacement for Nedved and can never be, and therefore should not be seen as one. IMO he would best function paired up with Tacchi behind Nedved. His passing was sharp and precise, he didnt lose many balls, but all that was mostly in the centre of the pitch, he just couldnt get the final pass on. He tried, maybe too much, to play through balls to Miccoli, Di Vaio and Zalayeta... all were intercepted. Maybe he should have played a bit more simple. An OK performance, but I expected more.

Tacchinardi - 6
Was OK, altho he clearly did pull out of certain challanges, probably to protect himself from injury. I cant really blame him, he didnt want to get injured in his comeback. He was pretty solid in midfield, altho I feel he and Appiah didnt protect the defence enough. He had a bloody fantastic 35-yard through pass that went through the entire defence, but unfortunately Di Vaio couldnt get to it before the Perugia keeper. Had he scored it would most definately be the best assist of the season.

Appiah - 5.5
He just loses the balls more than a player in his position should. His passing was OK as always, I personaly like it very much, but sometimes he seems careless when he's with the ball and looses it. He helped out in attack, ahd a great cross and a solid long shot on goal, but I'm not happy, he needs to bring his A game onto the pitch if hea wants to replace Davids in the lineup. I am not happy.

Zalayeta - 7.5
Yes, thats right, a 7.5 for Zalayeta. He tried very hard from the start, running and pressing the opposition on his flank. he out in a good performance, altho he was being played compelety out of position, first on the right wing and then on the left. We all know he lacks technique, and isnt a very good dribbler nor passer, nor crosser, but tonight he tried it all. He tried dribbling, he tried crossing (had a great cross for Di Vaio I think), and he tried to pass the ball around. he even had three very, very good through balls, so he showed us some cretivity, not to mention that he scored and setup Camo's assist. It wasnt pretty to watch, in fact it was a pain to the eyes to watch him dribble, but he got the job done. Well done Zala, IMO our best player tonight.

Camoranesi - 6.5
Only played for the last 15 minutes, but showed that he should have played from start. He pressed the opponent, ran a lot, and showed us one or two of his tricks. He had an excellent assisnt, his cross landed exactly on Di Vaio's head.

Di Vaio - 7
Altho he wasnt all that bad, he isnt in the form he had at the start of the season. He had two clear cut chances, on one Perugia's GK (sorry, forgot his name) made an excellent save, while he didnt do enough to get the ball in time on the other chance, and thereby enabeling the GK to get to it. He did score one goal, and had a fantastic back heel reception of the ball on a Chimenti kick up the field. He moved very well and IMO deserves to be ahead of DP in the picking order.

Miccoli - 6.5
He was very agile during the whole match, altho he didnt actually manage to do much. He had to come back to midfield to pick up the ball on a number of occasions and start up attacks. He had a few shots that went off target, but all in all seemed like our most dangerous player.

Anyways, that's just my opinion...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
Imagine if Lippi wants to take Thuram out and Fresi out... Lilian would have to take the shirt off and hand it to Fresi who would have to wear it all sweaty and shit :D
:yuck: At least it's not Vieira :D

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
good schtuff. good to see lippi experiment here. they coppa might be a mickey mouse trophy and all, but for a b-team its pretty important.

zala- always been impressed with this player. not the most talented, but effort-wise he's like an edgar davids.

zaltabalta great review. good to see camo come around. imho maresca shouldnt have been played out of position. its rare that he actually gets a start even. why screw it up by playing him on the flank?

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I saw more or less the game because i was in the house of a frien with 3 more juve fans and we didnt saw the game well.

Well, i didnt saw so bad juventus like xlatan... in the firt half..we did overall better but operugia imorived for the second..

good goal both and good header by legro...

at least we won ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)