LA COPPA: Juventus - Lazio (0:2) (17 Viewers)

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stevie11 ] ++
lippi should get the sack! **** him i dont think he deserves to be congradulated. Why take off in my opinion our 2 best players.
I have to ask...

why do you have a fighters avatar if you think these things about Lippi... you clearly have no idea what fighters are about or what they stand for

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
And i think that lippi choices were not that crucial yesterday. Those goals were inevitablñe as lazio were pressing too much fter our 2nd...and our defence was shaky the whole match..and it crumbled under the big pressure.

It was nothing great to do in that circumstances, as we didnt had the quality to stop the attack.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Padovano ] ++
We made a contest out of it. Playing very well in the first half against a Lazio side that was also playing well. I really started to believe in the Coppa once we drew level, but that second goal really woke the Laziali out of their sleep. We had no answers for Lazio in the second half, but I thought the defense actually played well. I am still happy I took off from work to watch the match:D

All the reports I see are saying that "Juve finishes the season empty handed". This is not true. "Empty Handed" should mean that no trophies were won. Juve won the Italian Super Cup, so we are not empty handed.
With all due respect...that was the OLD JUVE...that was the same Juve that started the season as a contender..that was the same Juve that (according to some ..but I disagree) outplayed Milan in the
1-1 in the first match up this season. That Juve died shortly afterwards so the Supercoppa win is almost like last season..if that makes any sense.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The fact that we are all bemoaning the fact that we didn't win the Coppa Italia is a sure indication of our drastically reduced expectations of this team.

I would have laughed if someone had suggested that coming away with the Coppa and only the Coppa this year was a good thing.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Who cares about the coppa... No one was in the stadium last night to see the game... everyone was there to say thanks and goodbye to the greatest coach in our history.

Any other coppa final and there would have been but a few thousand present

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++

Why?

(DP had a 7 - * ;))...
Cos they should be other way round :p

DP did **** all apart from pushing the ball inside the net and that backheel. He tried too many times to go past opposing defenders one on one but always failed miserably.

Chimenti 7.5 is exagerated. He didn't do any mistakes and the goals he suffered were not his fault and few goalies might have caught them, however they were the only two shots on goal for the whole game! Other than that he hardly did anything so 7.5 for just standing between the posts is too much.

Ferrara's 5.5 is too harsh as his first half was excellent. The commentators themselves were saying how despite his age he's still eternal.

Legro's 5 is way too harsh. When he plays with Thuram he seems more confident and sure so I thought he was doing a good job overall. A 6 would haveb een more appropriate.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Zizou: u just said the negative things about Dp , but what about the Positive things? ,, 2great passes to nedved , and he scored , and he defended also !

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I can't say anything about DP's performance against Lazio because I didn't see the game, but you're going to have to get used to that Azzurri7; Glenn (Zizou) is quite anti-Del Piero at times.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++

Cos they should be other way round :p

DP did **** all apart from pushing the ball inside the net and that backheel. He tried too many times to go past opposing defenders one on one but always failed miserably.

Chimenti 7.5 is exagerated. He didn't do any mistakes and the goals he suffered were not his fault and few goalies might have caught them, however they were the only two shots on goal for the whole game! Other than that he hardly did anything so 7.5 for just standing between the posts is too much.

Ferrara's 5.5 is too harsh as his first half was excellent. The commentators themselves were saying how despite his age he's still eternal.

Legro's 5 is way too harsh. When he plays with Thuram he seems more confident and sure so I thought he was doing a good job overall. A 6 would haveb een more appropriate.
All of your points are fair.
I think i did give DP higher for being DP, and Chimenti for being :)D) Chimenti.
Well Ferrara was pretty solid as i said, but he didn't really add anything to the rb position imo, the rb nowadays can be so much more. A lot of threat can come from that position, it did not come from him. True, a bit harsch... but unfair?

Legro well a 5+ than, I spotted a lot of mistakes in the second half.
Okay maybe even a 5.5, but he made to many mistakes in the second half to earn the 6.
Let me be clear though, Appiah unsettled the team, Pessotto should've stayed in: "never change a winning team"..

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

I have to ask...

why do you have a fighters avatar if you think these things about Lippi... you clearly have no idea what fighters are about or what they stand for
Ok i will admit that i was wrong and that Lippi is a great manager.
But you have to remember that i wrote that shortly after the match and was feeling pretty pissed off. Im shure a lot of us wrote stuff we needed actually mean.

peace.....

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by azzurri7 ] ++
Zizou: u just said the negative things about Dp , but what about the Positive things? ,, 2great passes to nedved , and he scored , and he defended also !
So you are saying that in a whole match he had just 'two great passes and an empty net goal' and that makes him a 7.5 player?

Stuart I'm not anti-DP; I didn't find match ratings but I found the comments on gazzetta and this is what it said: "Poi il capitano, Del Piero, lontano da quello vero che ha giurato di meritare gli Europei" (Then the captain, Del Piero, far away from the real one he promised to deserve the Euro"

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
i'm not sad that we lost, eventho leading 2-0 att halftime. THANK GOD we dont have to wear the ugly coppa patch next season :yuck:

the patch wud only fit if we have the scudetto shield beside it. so....next season, we'll have the bullseye patch and the shield back where it belongs ;)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
I didn't watch the game myself Glenn, but surely sometimes even journalists make remarks that are incorrect... that argument base isn't strong
Well I watched the game and so did other people ;) Unless he picks up his form, then I just hope that Trapattoni won't choose the first 11 based on names.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
I don't want to talk about the mistakes done by lippi or the players.. I'm sure you covered this part already..

I wasn't expecting us to win, but.. The thing that I hated most about this match was that the team gave us hope.. made us believe that we could do it and win.. but, after our 2nd goal.. OUR PLAYERS gave up strangely, and didn't show any kind of fighting spirit.. and therefore overrun by the laziali.. they deserve the win no doubt.. but, I can't understand why our players didn't fight for it..

I wish I haven't seen the match.. frustrating it was..

Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
I don't want to talk about the mistakes done by lippi or the players.. I'm sure you covered this part already..

I wasn't expecting us to win, but.. The thing that I hated most about this match was that the team gave us hope.. made us believe that we could do it and win.. but, after our 2nd goal.. OUR PLAYERS gave up strangely, and didn't show any kind of fighting spirit.. and therefore overrun by the laziali.. they deserve the win no doubt.. but, I can't understand why our players didn't fight for it..

I wish I haven't seen the match.. frustrating it was..
That's how I felt too . I wasn't expecting the team to be in a position to win the tie either but we did by playing well, only to throw it away again. Hence my reaction after the game.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
OK, I was at the game. The Curva Sud were awesome. But I gotta hand it to all the Lazio ultras who came up and simply (and literally) blew up the game there. I hate to admit it, but they were an inspiration. The pre-game "entertainment" included some promotional posturing by Piaggio scooters... and a gang of scooter drivers drove down the track. But with the Lazio ultras blowing up stuff pretty regularly in the north-east curve, they drove just shy of them and turned around. That's saying something.

But being my first time in Torino, it is a very refined city. Aside of the smog, it's an awesome place to visit -- despite all the dust for their building of the new metro system from the main train station for the 2006 Olympics. Wide boulevards, Baroque architecture, excellent coffee, extensive "area pedonale" sections with cobblestone streets... any Juve fan has to make the pilgrimmage sometime. (And spend a few bills at the Juvestore on Via Garibaldi as I did!)

But back to the match, while I was disappointed with the result, I was pleased with the level of excitement build up when Del Piero got Juve's second goal to tie up the final. The place was going nuts, and you really got a feel for something special. But then Lazio pushed their defenders forward right afterwards -- something I'm sure you couldn't see with the TV coverage. Mancini made a very wise decision in strategizing that giving up a goal in a counterattack situation was acceptable as long as Lazio pushed one in the net. Suddenly Juve were put in some serious defending situations, and after a few close calls it wasn't shocking that Corradi finally broke through.

Del Piero played a decent game, though not fantastic. Ironically, at the game it seems that the strategies of both coaches sort of worked: Lippi to hold Lazio tight to get a 2-0 advantage and push the game into extra time, and Mancini with his aforementioned offensive risk after Del Piero's goal.

In the end, the defense cost us the game, as it has all season. So if there's any blame to place, I have to look at Birindelli-Legrotaglie-Pessoto-Thuram to begin with. Though Lippi certainly bears some responsibility for the level of preparedness the defense had to win this game in a way that we needed it, when we needed it.

But the Curva Sud -- those guys are die-hards. They're an inspiration for all Juventini. They filled their section of the stands long before anyone else at the match, they were the last to leave too. And all throughout the match they kept cheering the team on -- non-stop, even after Fiori scored the second Lazio goal and all the fair-weather fans in the tribuna section by me got up to leave.

In a few weeks when I'm back and have figured out how to transer the video my wife took from the game, I'll be sure to post it here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)