LA COPPA: Internazionale - Juventus (2 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Coppa: Juventus spot on
Thursday 12 February, 2004

Juventus will meet Lazio in the Coppa Italia Final after a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory against 10-man Inter. A Christian Vieri error proved costly for the Nerazzurri after an exciting 120 minutes of football at the San Siro ended in a 2-2 draw.

Having drew 2-2 in Turin last week, Juventus knew they had a mountain to climb in order to reach the final. Yet their start to the game was highly encouraging as their high tempo seemed to cause Inter instant problems.

Miccoli went close on five minutes when his glancing header almost gave his side the lead before Juve were punished for their first mistake. Adriano broke the offside trap, with the aid of Juve stopper Legrottaglie, to round Chimenti and give Inter the lead on seven minutes.

Juventus kicked off and again seemed to be in control of the game. A fierce Di Vaio effort from outside the area finished just wide, as did a dangerous Miccoli free-kick. Tudor then shot over the bar from a great position inside the area.

But Inter again threatened to score with one of their few first half chances. This time Vieri broke the offside trap but his low diagonal drive struck the foot of the post. They hit the woodwork again on 37 minutes through Kily. His hit and hope from outside of the box rattled the bar.

Yet Juventus got a deserved equaliser just before half-time. A Miccoli shot was rebounded into the path of Tudor who slotted home from close range. That would be the Croatian’s last contribution, because of injury, as he was immediately replaced by Trezeguet.

The second half had far fewer chances but plenty of controversy. Having put on Nedved and Del Piero, Juve searched for a crucial second away goal. That job was made easier by the 66th minute dismissal of Cordoba. The Colombian hacked down Nedved who was converging towards goal.

The home side should then have been handed a clear penalty after Montero seemed to bring down Emre. Yet the referee incredibly waved play on much to the anger of the Inter players and the San Siro faithful. They were even more upset six minutes later when Del Piero nodded home a Miccoli corner. Inter 1 Juventus 2.

With a man advantage, Juve were knocking the ball around at ease but Inter kept fighting on. That passion and commitment was rewarded in injury time as Adani netted a scruffy goal to equalise with literally seconds remaining.

Juventus had the better of extra time as players from both sides visibly tired. Legrottaglie, Miccoli, Appiah and Nedved all had decent efforts. Even if the most dangerous effort in the silver goal period belonged to Adani. He thought he’d headed his side into the final but Del Piero cleared off the line.

Penalties inevitably followed where every player scored apart from Vieri. He took Inter’s final kick but Chimenti dived to his left to save. Miccoli slotted home the crucial spot-kick with class to set up a final against Lazio.

Inter 2-2 Juventus ( 4-4 agg. Juve win 5-4 on pens)
Scorers: Adriano (I) 7, Tudor (J) 41, Del Piero (J) 77, Adani (I) 90

Penalties: Adani (I), Del Piero (J), Adriano (I), Maresca (J), Stankovic (I), Nedved (J), Helveg (I), Legrottaglie (J), Vieri (I) MISS, Miccoli (J)

Inter: Fontana; Cordoba, Adani, Cannavaro (Van der Meyde 9, Emre 60), Helveg, Farinos, Stankovic, J Zanetti, Kily Gonzalez (Pasquale 46); Vieri, Adriano

Juventus: Chimenti; Ferrara, Legrottaglie, Montero; Pessotto (Nedved 63), Appiah, Tudor (Trezeguet 41), Maresca, Zambrotta; Di Vaio (Del Piero 65), Miccoli

Ref: Pellegrino

Sent off: Cordoba (I) 66

Buy on AliExpress.com

ADP Timers

Feb 4, 2004
What was this about a Inter goal in the 95 minute?
Did I read that wrong or did they really score?

THanks.

That pic of DP is the GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love that guy.

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
I had to play football myself at the start of the second half, oh my God - what a turnout! Miccoli proved true and Del Piero once again rekindled our undying love for him! What class acts. That's why we support this club, guys - because they are warriors.
It may be 'just' the Coppa, but it serves a more significant purpose than that - we've silenced the critics and put to rest claims that Juve's era of dominance is over, sure we've slipped..but this team's spirit will never die!
What a night! I toast you all and FORZA ****ING JUVE! Wooooo! :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
well at least if we cant get the scudetto, we can be satisfied with the bulleye mark and a silver star on our jersey...;)
dont count your eggs yet.... ;)

We havn't won the Coppa yet. There's still a final to be played againsy a team that we havn't beaten in a loooong time! :stress:

Anyhow, congrats everyone! :star: :extatic:
I'm very happy for Tudor and DP. Tudor has been struggling with Injury and form so a goal to his name will boost his moral. same case ith DP in his bad form.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Muscolino9 ] ++
I had to play football myself at the start of the second half, oh my God - what a turnout! Miccoli proved true and Del Piero once again rekindled our undying love for him! What class acts. That's why we support this club, guys - because they are warriors.
It may be 'just' the Coppa, but it serves a more significant purpose than that - we've silenced the critics and put to rest claims that Juve's era of dominance is over, sure we've slipped..but this team's spirit will never die!
What a night! I toast you all and FORZA ****ING JUVE! Wooooo! :D
Dude are you being serious?? "You silenced the critics??" You have to be friggin kidding me...your team made up of half back ups beats Inter made up of half back ups in pk and you silenced the critics??? Era of dominance?? Jeez I can't believe what I'm reading...Angelli is turning over in his grave
Give me a friggin break...comments like this make me want to puke and laugh

oh well....eheheh the Merdas lose again...

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
Sorry, Incubo - but wake up and smell the coffee.
Platini said it best, I can't be bothered quoting him but just read the headline at the top of this forum...besides, this is a Juve forum - don't ruin this moment for us with your rossoneri jaded jibes.

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
Oh yeah, I prefer this picture of Del Piero - it sums up what this night is all about; A message to the rest of Serie A's high fliers - La Vecchia Signora breathes!!! :cool:

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
Dude I agree ...Better you than the MERDAS but your emotions were getting the better of you..seriously.....silence the critics? whatever
...can you blame me? :angel:

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
FACCHETTI: "UNACCEPTABLE REFEREERING"

Friday, 13 February 2004 01:55:50 _

MILAN - Inter president Giacinto Facchetti spoke to Inter Channel after Thursday evening's Tim Cup semi-final return leg at home to Juventus:

"When I saw that Pellegrino was named referee I thought bad things. The reality is that it was worse than I thought. This evening's refereering is unacceptable. It's not possible to go on like this. I don't want to stay here and list the referee's mistakes, and not just the incredible ones, but also many other episodes. Who should check these things? The institutions, who hide.

"I must also thank tonight's referee because he made the team determined again. They all made the effort. We were in ten men on the pitch and with a few injured players who made sacrifices. I have to pay my compliments to the team. I spoke to the boys after the match and told them we can win against everybody if we play like this."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)