Koeman leaves Ajax post (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Koeman leaves Ajax post
Friday, 25 February 2005

AFC Ajax coach Ronald Koeman has resigned following last night's 3-1 defeat by AJ Auxerre which saw them eliminated from the UEFA Cup.

Difficult season
The 41-year-old Koeman handed in his notice this morning, leaving assistant coaches Ruud Krol and Tonny Bruins Slot in temporary charge. The European exit was the final straw for the former Dutch international, who had been at the helm of the Amsterdam club since December 2001. He had also seen his team struggle to keep pace with PSV Eindhoven and AZ Alkmaar at the top of the Eredivisie.

Time to go
"I have requested that the board of Ajax end our co-operation immediately," Koeman said. "I have to be fair to myself and to Ajax. Yesterday's result has made me make this decision. I cannot offer the strength or the energy to get over this setback, and to make the team perform better again."

Early success
Koeman, who succeeded Co Adriaanse as Ajax coach after arriving from SBV Vitesse, won the Dutch double in his first season. He also guided the club to the championship last term but they failed to get beyond the UEFA Champions League group stage. Their subsequent UEFA Cup participation lasted just one round – the 3-2 aggregate defeat by Auxerre, with only a late goal for the French side preventing Ajax's progress on away goals.

Club disappointed
Ajax general manager Arie van Eijden said: "Of course we are disappointed at how the season has gone. But yesterday's performance was not so significant for us. We have had many successes with Ronald Koeman, but we accept his decision and thank him for what he has done for the club."

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
I felt bad that Koeman left, he's was the 1 who appointed Chivu as the captain of Ajax, and this guy excelled under him. Same for Zlatan. I think the problem for Ajax is they have yet to find a constant goalscorer after Zlatan left, and Charisteas arrived too late.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Koeman has certainly achieved alot at Ajax,and his run in the CL a couple years ago made him a favourite with the fans.He's definitely carried on with the tradition of Ajax's famed youth system and incorporated a good number of youths into the squad,most of which succeeded.I particularly like the faith he had in Sneijder,he was special.

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
Koeman is a good coach but not my fav. It's really sad he leaves in that situation but it is more sad to see Ajax performance this season. I hope all the best for Ajax.
Anyone knows who's gonna replace him?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Henk ten Cate (assistant coach of Rijkaard at Barcelona, he was very successful coacing NAC Breda in the Dutch league two seasons ago) is the likeliest replacement, followed by Danny Blind at this point in time.

About Ronald Koeman - I like him but he's not a very good coach. He is absolutely clueless when it comes to transfers. He made some of the worst buys I have ever seen. The excelling of Zlatan and Chivu are also not his doing, those foundations were laid by Adriaanse, who is now coaching AZ Alkmaar (who are 2nd in the league ahead of Ajax). Ajax's good run in the CL two seasons ago was also Adriaanse's heritage.

Koeman is only a good coach if you already have a good team and you want it to stay at that level. He's not much good in any other situation. At Ajax he had to rebuild and he failed.

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
Danny Blind :cool:

I also wished that Marco van Basten would coach Ajax too someday :)
Duo Slot and Krol seems have a good start in their 1st match by beaten Roda JC 2-1. Well, hope it will continue when Ajax meet AZ this weekend. ;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jol isn't coming back to Holland any time soon. It would be a major step back in his career.

Anna - I hope Van Basten wins us the world cup first :D

The Roda match wasn't a very good one for Ajax btw and I hope AZ beat the crap out of them and catch up with PSV.

Alkmaar for champions!!!

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
Co Adriaanse is a master! I've heard that he will leave AZ by the end of the season.
Is it possible for him to comesback to Ajax? I like this man a lot :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
No that's HIGHLY unlikely.

You're right about him leaving AZ though - he refused to extend his contract which expires after this season.

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
No that's HIGHLY unlikely.
Why not? He's a good hoofdtrainer and coming back to Ajax is not a bad idea ;)
De top drie has been 'ruined' by AZ so I don't mind if AZ Alkmaar wins the title tho :D

You're right about him leaving AZ though - he refused to extend his contract which expires after this season.
And...is it about money? :frown:

Anna - I hope Van Basten wins us the world cup first :D
No worries, I can wait :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Febrina ] ++
Why not? He's a good hoofdtrainer and coming back to Ajax is not a bad idea ;)
De top drie has been 'ruined' by AZ so I don't mind if AZ Alkmaar wins the title tho :
Yeah I'm rooting for AZ this season too! But Adriaanse said he'll never go back to Amsterdam.

And...is it about money? :frown:
No, he just wants one more shot with another (larger) club before he retires :)

No worries, I can wait :D
:D

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Yeah I'm rooting for AZ this season too! But Adriaanse said he'll never go back to Amsterdam.
No, he just wants one more shot with another (larger) club before he retires :)
Thanks for the info, Erik :)

I've sense that Michael Laudrup on the target as well, wow!

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
I heard that Koeman wants to go to come to England to manage hear, I wonder what team he'll go to...

My money is on...Man City or Portsmouth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)