Kingsley Coman (8 Viewers)

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I hate this argument because its simply not true most of the time. Even very good players sometimes fail in top clubs where the expectations are high. For me, if you are good enough to play for the Real's and Bayern's of this world, then you are a good player. Gotze hasn't really done it for Bayern, what would you say about him then when in your logic you don't have to be a good player to play well at Bayern.

Just to be clear though, I am not talking specifically about Coman. I'm addressing the logic of your argument that you don't have to be a good player to play well for Bayern, I think that is just used by people when it's convenient. As for Coman, I've watched him play for Bayern, and he's doing very well for a 19 year old. It's way too early to make a judgment of course, but so far, the early signs look very promising for him.
You are making a good point, but his point is also on spot in my opinion.

We all know that Coman is fast and with good technique. As a Juventus player he showed all that but his crossing and passing wasn't so consistent. If you look closely how Bayern are playing you will see that they are exploiting his strengths very well, but his passing and crossing are still a bit off, even the cross for Lewandowski's goal vs Mainz was very difficult to handle and there aren't many players that can hit the ball as well as him from that position.

Another example is his assist for Gotze vs Olympiacos. His pass wasn't so great and only the classy finish from Gotze made it look good.

The example with Giovinco is brilliant because he had the speed, dribble and technique, but also he was a better passer and had a better vision in his prime. So Giovinco would excel in Bayern as a LW or RW, at least I think so. :D

Coman can grow a lot and he can become a f*ing monster one day, but right now he is a good pacey player that has everything to prove. I wish him good luck, he looks like a nice lad.

If it was up to me I would have kept Coman, but the 28 mil plus the desire to leave... We'll see.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
I hate this argument because its simply not true most of the time. Even very good players sometimes fail in top clubs where the expectations are high. For me, if you are good enough to play for the Real's and Bayern's of this world, then you are a good player. Gotze hasn't really done it for Bayern, what would you say about him then when in your logic you don't have to be a good player to play well at Bayern.
even with the case of coman aside, how is it not true, that it takes less skill to score for bayern (who totally dominate their league with no real consistent challenger)?

let's have a look at a few players that support the claim that it is vastly easier to score for bayern while being mediocre at best.

Let us start off with Ivica Olic. I would like to compare his stats while playing for Wolfsburg with when he played for Bayern. I guess we all agree that Ivica Olic is a mediocre player at best.

Stats for Bayern:
80 games, 23 goals, 13 assists

Stats for Wolfsburg:
94 games, 33 goals, 15 assists

Right now if you only look at these numbers you would say "hey, he did better for Wolfsburg". If you calculate the ratio of scorer points per game we have 0,51 scorer points per game for Wolfsburg and 0,45 scorer points per game for Bayern.
So is it easier to score for Wolfsburg than for bayern ? Wolfsburg is not a bad club at all, so is this due to the game plan of wolfsburg fitting more to a mediocre player like Olic ?

If you now look closer at not only the number of games but the actual amount of minutes played.

Minutes for Bayern: 3937 Minutes
Minutes for Wolfsburg: 6847 Minutes
If you now compare how many minutes it took for Olic to score the result tilts far towards his time at Bayern with 109 minutes for every scorer points and 143 minutes for every scorer point playing for Wolfsburg.

other similar examples of no "world beater" players that did overperform in bayern were Luca Toni (one scorer point every 107 minutes for Fiorentina and one scorer point every 87 minutes for Bayern), Roy Makaay (111 minutes for a scorer point in bayern, 138 minutes for a scorer point for Deportivo), Miroslav Klose (114 minutes per scorer point for Bayern, 150 minutes per scorer point for 1. FC Kaiserslautern, 118 minutes per scorer point for lazio), Bruno Labbadia (137 minutes per scorer point for Bayern, 181 minutes per scorer point for Bremen), Carsten Jancker (112 minutes per scorer point for bayern, 172 minutes per scorer point averaged for all of his other professional games (some even in crap leagues like Austria))

I would argue that really good players probably have a less big "Jump" in performance when they go to bayern, because they are already perform regardless of the team.

An example would be the not great but still very decent
Claudio Pizzaro (112 minutes per scorer point for Bayern, 106 minutes per scorer point for Werder Bremen) or Giovanne Elber (116 minutes per scorer point for stuttgart, 101 minutes per scorer point for bayern), Lewandowski (97 minutes per scorer point for dortmund, 91 minutes per scorer point for bayern).

This data would lead me to say that "the better the player the smaller the difference in performance when playing for bayern".
Playing for a dominating bayern side the threshold for a good strikers performance should not be a tap in here and there, but things like lewandowski showed with his 5 goals in 9 minutes against wolfsburg because they just create that many chances. If you consider that Wolfsburg finished second place last season and they still get destroyed by bayern so easily it just shows the big chasm between bayern and the rest.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Really average game and that was against Verona level opponent. Seen basically the same issues he had here, long spells he's completely out of game, his decision making is as bad as always, gets easily dispossessed. Had few runs and assisted Gotze for the goal, but Gotze does all the work at the edge of box, makes a run inside and gets the return ball, takes a shot which any decent keeper would keep out. No, this kid didn't turn suddenly into young Messi, but Bayern is formiddable side, capable of integrating these young players and making them look better than they actually are. 28m :heart:

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Really average game and that was against Verona level opponent. Seen basically the same issues he had here, long spells he's completely out of game, his decision making is as bad as always, gets easily dispossessed. Had few runs and assisted Gotze for the goal, but Gotze does all the work at the edge of box, makes a run inside and gets the return ball, takes a shot which any decent keeper would keep out. No, this kid didn't turn suddenly into young Messi, but Bayern is formiddable side, capable of integrating these young players and making them look better than they actually are. 28m :heart:
:lol::lol:

JuveOP

Aug 26, 2015
You are making a good point, but his point is also on spot in my opinion.

We all know that Coman is fast and with good technique. As a Juventus player he showed all that but his crossing and passing wasn't so consistent. If you look closely how Bayern are playing you will see that they are exploiting his strengths very well, but his passing and crossing are still a bit off, even the cross for Lewandowski's goal vs Mainz was very difficult to handle and there aren't many players that can hit the ball as well as him from that position.

Another example is his assist for Gotze vs Olympiacos. His pass wasn't so great and only the classy finish from Gotze made it look good.

The example with Giovinco is brilliant because he had the speed, dribble and technique, but also he was a better passer and had a better vision in his prime. So Giovinco would excel in Bayern as a LW or RW, at least I think so. :D

Coman can grow a lot and he can become a f*ing monster one day, but right now he is a good pacey player that has everything to prove. I wish him good luck, he looks like a nice lad.

If it was up to me I would have kept Coman, but the 28 mil plus the desire to leave... We'll see.
exactly :agree:

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear though, I am not talking specifically about Coman. I'm addressing the logic of your argument that you don't have to be a good player to play well for Bayern, I think that is just used by people when it's convenient. As for Coman, I've watched him play for Bayern, and he's doing very well for a 19 year old. It's way too early to make a judgment of course, but so far, the early signs look very promising for him.
imagine if Ozil does wonderful key passes to Henry or LordBentner, who is more likely to score and that being Ozil's assist? it's not a rocket science I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)