Karim Benzema - FW - Real Madrid (31 Viewers)

Who do you want?

• Karim Benzema

• Klaas Jan Huntelaar

• Amauri

• Elmander

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Indeed but regardless of nationality Cassano>>>Benzema.
Debatable.

Benzema out of the picture, I don't get how people can be so certain of Cassano. His talent was never disputed, but the guy is 28 already and so far he has still not proven he has dealt with his biggest problem; performing under pressure. Sure he's great for Sampdoria and everything's dandy for years now, but he can basically do no wrong there and has absolutely no pressure there. That's what makes him strive and perform the way he does now. We can laugh all we want at Lippi for not taking him to the WC, but I believe maybe there is something in there. He may have settled down but I'd hate to see us splash 20m on him and after 2,3 poor games for everything to fall apart.

Untill I see him here and he kicks ass for us, he'll always remain a question mark.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I personally think Cassano is currently the better player but I do believe in the right environment Benzema will become fantastic.

At the risk of echoing what Vlatko just said, Cassano hasn't really proven much, sure he might be the more talented player, but is he the better player? That is extremely debatable.

When you think of it, there stories are a little similar. Cassano at a semi big club ala Roma did very well and was lauded as one of the hugest talents in Europe let alone Italy. Similarly Benzema was great for Lyon too. Both then went to bigger clubs, with higher pressure and bigger expectations pinned on them, and both have their attitudes not their abilities to blame for their failure to deal with a tougher environment. Cassano went back to a smaller team(Samp) and he's back to his best again, with minimal pressure on him and with him being the big fish in a small pond (excuse the overused cliche), i firmly believe and i think you will agree with me here, that if Karim would take a similar career path and go back to Marseille or another Ligue team, he'd probably excel again.

So really, what is the difference between the two other than the obvious fact that Cassano is in better form?

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I think it would be Iaquinta to leave personally.

Amauri seems like the type of guy who is going to cling to this club with everything he has even though he's not productive and a drain on resources. Mainly because of his huge salary but also because he wouldn't even start for a lot of mid table clubs.

Jun 13, 2007
At the risk of echoing what Vlatko just said, Cassano hasn't really proven much, sure he might be the more talented player, but is he the better player? That is extremely debatable.

When you think of it, there stories are a little similar. Cassano at a semi big club ala Roma did very well and was lauded as one of the hugest talents in Europe let alone Italy. Similarly Benzema was great for Lyon too. Both then went to bigger clubs, with higher pressure and bigger expectations pinned on them, and both have their attitudes not their abilities to blame for their failure to deal with a tougher environment. Cassano went back to a smaller team(Samp) and he's back to his best again, with minimal pressure on him and with him being the big fish in a small pond (excuse the overused cliche), i firmly believe and i think you will agree with me here, that if Karim would take a similar career path and go back to Marseille or another Ligue team, he'd probably excel again.

So really, what is the difference between the two other than the obvious fact that Cassano is in better form?
It's not that Cassano is a better player than Benzema; it may be true that he is but it can't be a certainty because Benzema just might develop into a world class player. Although I am doubtful of that. But Cassano is just one of those special players. He's naturally gifted. If only he had an attitude adjustment when he was younger and had better role models and coaches growing up, he might have been one of the world's best. Possibly one of the best in history.

For me, Cassano's career is just a tragic story of someone who had infinite potential but just didn't live in the circumstances that allowed him to develop into what he could have been. With that said, even the Cassano today still carries with him that magic and genius that remind of the likes of Baggio, Zidane, and Alex.

I will not judge Benzema anymore because I think I might upset a few member here, and that is the last thing I want to do. But I will say that while Benzema might someday become a more successful and complete player than Cassano, he will never have the magic that Cassano does. You either have it or you don't. It's a gift. And I hope one day we can make use of that gift.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
It's not about upsetting anybody. You make ludicrous comments about him & of course people will take you up on that.You think Benzema isn't gifted?

You clearly haven't seen enough of him to make that judgment.Cassano has & had great role models surrounding him, that's not up for debate, he had a shitty attitude & he decided to stick to his guns.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I already said that Cassano being more talented was a given, but we've all been watching football enough to know that talent alone doesn't take you very far. Thats why you have players like Lampard and Schweni who aren't half as talented as a Riquelme for example but have had better careers and are without doubt better and more effective players.

Cassano might be better in terms of finesse, flair, and creativity, but Benzema has a lot going for him too. He's without doubt better physically than Cassano. He's faster, stronger and better in the air, i also think he's the better striker and the better finisher. All in all, their careers have been pretty similar, but Benzema still has a chance to redeem himself, make it at the highest level and surpass Cassano.

Jun 13, 2007
It's not about upsetting anybody. You make ludicrous comments about him & of course people will take you up on that.You think Benzema isn't gifted?

You clearly haven't seen enough of him to make that judgment.Cassano has & had great role models surrounding him, that's not up for debate, he had a shitty attitude & he decided to stick to his guns.
No, I don't think he's gifted. Mind you, only a handful of players are gifted in my opinion. He might have talent, but it's his hard work and dedication that earned him that talent. And it's because of that effort that he made it to a team like Real Madrid.
Cassano was never about hard work. He's like Matt Damon from "Good Will Hunting."
He just does everything so effortlessly; it's incredible to most people how he acquired all this talent with his lack of discipline and commitment.

I will concede that I haven't seen enough of Benzema. I only caught glimpses of him at Real Madrid and wasn't very impressed but I suppose that isn't very fair. Cassano had Totti as a role model, that's what I meant by shitty role models. Totti is one of the dirtiest football players to ever play the game. The guy spits at people. I mean, if you're going to want to follow in the footsteps of a guy that spits on people, then well, things don't look too good for you.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well Juve Rev, if you only saw Benzema in Real, then this discussion is pretty much over, if i only saw Cassano play for Real, i'd tell you he's one overrated, fat, untalented player.

La_Fidanzata

Feb 18, 2008
I already said that Cassano being more talented was a given, but we've all been watching football enough to know that talent alone doesn't take you very far. Thats why you have players like Lampard and Schweni who aren't half as talented as a Riquelme for example but have had better careers and are without doubt better and more effective players.

Cassano might be better in terms of finesse, flair, and creativity, but Benzema has a lot going for him too. He's without doubt better physically than Cassano. He's faster, stronger and better in the air, i also think he's the better striker and the better finisher. All in all, their careers have been pretty similar, but Benzema still has a chance to redeem himself, make it at the highest level and surpass Cassano.
You have some good points there, but i would never call it a given that Benzema will sucseed in serie a. Benzema should go to Liverpool and Dzeko should come to us! Cassano>Benzema. Dzeko > Cassano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)